Pakistan seizes over 21,000 rounds of ammunition at Afghan border crossing

A Pakistani soldier keeps vigil next to a fenced border along with Afghanistan’s Paktika province border in Angoor Adda in South Waziristan, Pakistan, on October 18, 2017. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 13 January 2026
Follow

Pakistan seizes over 21,000 rounds of ammunition at Afghan border crossing

  • Customs officials intercept arms shipment at Torkham amid heightened border security
  • Seizure comes amid an ongoing border closure after Pakistan-Afghanistan skirmishes

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani authorities said on Tuesday they seized more than 21,000 rounds of arms and ammunition at the Torkham border crossing with Afghanistan amid persistent security challenges along the volatile frontier separating the two countries.

The seizure was made during routine cargo screening at the customs station in Torkham, where officials flagged a suspicious vehicle, bearing registration number TAH-027, which arrived from Afghanistan and was shifted to a terminal for scanning, according to a statement from the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR).

A subsequent physical inspection uncovered submachine-gun bullets and rifle cartridges concealed in the vehicle, the statement added.

“Pakistan Customs authorities at Torkham foiled a major attempt to smuggle arms and ammunition into Pakistan, seizing over 21,000 rounds of SMG and rifle cartridges along with other arms,” the FBR said.

“This incident is being treated as a deliberate and organized attempt to undermine public safety and national security,” it continued, adding that a criminal case had been registered and further legal proceedings were underway.

Authorities said customs officials were coordinating with other law enforcement agencies to investigate the attempted smuggling, without providing details on the origin or intended destination of the weapons.

The seizure comes amid strained relations between Pakistan and Afghanistan, with the two neighbors having witnessed border closures and security clashes along their frontier last year, disrupting trade and movement and prompting heightened scrutiny of cross-border traffic.

Torkham is one of the busiest crossings between the two countries and a key transit point for commercial goods.

Pakistan’s revenue authorities said they remained committed to curbing smuggling and safeguarding national revenue.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.