Brazil says US crossed ‘unacceptable line’ on Venezuela as officials track border

Brazil's President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva speaks during a joint statement with Panama's President Jose Raul Mulino (out of frame) at Planalto Palace in Brasilia on August 28, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 04 January 2026
Follow

Brazil says US crossed ‘unacceptable line’ on Venezuela as officials track border

  • “These acts represent a grave affront to Venezuela’s sovereignty and yet another extremely dangerous precedent for the entire international community,” President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva said in a post on X
  • Brazilian ⁠officials held an emergency cabinet meeting on Saturday to discuss the situation, with a potential higher influx ‌of Venezuelan refugees at the border among ‍the top issues

SAO PAULO/BRASILIA: ​Brazil’s government on Saturday condemned the US military attack on Venezuela and the capture of its leader as the crossing of “an unacceptable line,” while Brazilian officials were closely watching any unusual movement of refugees at the border with its neighbor.
“These acts represent a grave affront to Venezuela’s sovereignty and yet another extremely dangerous precedent for the entire international community,” President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva said in a post on X.
He also called for a “vigorous” ‌response from the ‌United Nations, adding that Brazil remains open to ‌promoting ⁠dialogue and ​cooperation.
Earlier on ‌Saturday, the US attacked Venezuela and deposed President Nicolas Maduro, in Washington’s most direct intervention in Latin America since the 1989 invasion of Panama.
US President Donald Trump called it one of the most successful military operations in US history.
“This was one of the most stunning, effective and powerful displays of American military might and competence in American history,” Trump told reporters at his Mar-a-Lago resort.
Brazilian ⁠officials held an emergency cabinet meeting on Saturday to discuss the situation, with a potential higher influx ‌of Venezuelan refugees at the border among ‍the top issues.
Lula, who was out of ‍the capital Brasilia due to the holiday season, attended the meeting virtually.
In ‍a statement released later, Brazil’s foreign ministry said that there has been no unusual movement at the border, one of the key crossing points for Venezuelan refugees in the region and where Brazil has run operations to assist them since 2018.
Brazil ​has welcomed more than 150,000 Venezuelans over this period, the Brazilian government reported last year.
Northern states of Roraima and Amazonas are ⁠the only Brazilian states that share a border with Venezuela, with more than 70 percent of refugees arriving through the former, Roraima Governor Antonio Denarium told Reuters in an interview.
He said that although the border is open, Venezuela is preventing its citizens from leaving, with Brazilians crossing without restrictions. Reuters was not able to immediately confirm the status of the border crossing or reach the Venezuelan government for comment.
Brazil’s foreign ministry also noted that Foreign Minister Mauro Vieira had spoken with his Venezuelan counterpart on Saturday. It did not provide further details.
Lula had previously said that an armed intervention in Venezuela would be a “humanitarian catastrophe,” and ‌has repeatedly offered for Brazil to mediate disputes between the countries. 

 


Gabon suspends access to social media as critics accuse its leader of crackdown on dissent

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Gabon suspends access to social media as critics accuse its leader of crackdown on dissent

  • “The High Authority for Communication has decided to immediately suspend social media throughout Gabon until further notice,” Mendome said
  • Social media platforms were severely impacted on Wednesday

LIBREVILLE: Gabon has suspended access to social media and digital platforms throughout the central African nation until further notice, the authorities said as critics accuse the country’s leader of crackdown on dissent.
The communications agency said it had observed on social media and digital platforms what it described as inappropriate, defamatory, hateful and insulting content that undermines human dignity, the country’s institutions and national security.
The agency’s statement added that this constitutes offenses punishable under national and international laws, as well as under policies on moderation adopted by major digital platforms.
“The High Authority for Communication has decided to immediately suspend social media throughout Gabon until further notice,” Jean Claude Franck Mendome, the spokesperson for the agency, known as High Authority for Communication, said in a statement that was read out on national media on Tuesday evening.
Social media platforms — including Meta and TikTok — were severely impacted on Wednesday. The two, along with WhatsApp, the messaging service owned by Meta, are the most widely used by Gabonese citizens. WhatsApp calls were also experiencing significant disruptions on Wednesday.
The country’s leader, Gen. Brice Clotaire Oligui Nguema had toppled President Ali Bongo Ondimba, who was accused of irresponsible governance.
Last year, Oligui Nguema won the presidential election, raising hopes for a return to constitutional democracy. However, critics say he has been increasingly clamping down on critical voices, targeting independent media and trade unionists. A journalist and two trade unionists were imprisoned last year.