Southern Transitional Council welcomes Saudi invitation for Yemen dialogue

Members of the Southern Transitional Council in Yemen. (Reuters/File Photo)
Short Url
Updated 04 January 2026
Follow

Southern Transitional Council welcomes Saudi invitation for Yemen dialogue

  • Saudi Arabia announced the invitation earlier on Saturday at the request of Rashad Al-Alimi, president of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council
  • Kingdom urged all factions to participate “to develop a comprehensive vision”

RIYADH: The Southern Transitional Council (STC) in Yemen on Saturday welcomed Saudi Arabia’s invitation to take part in an inclusive dialogue among southern Yemeni factions in Riyadh.

In a statement, the group said the move reflected the Kingdom’s commitment to resolving political issues through dialogue, particularly in relation to the southern people’s right to restore their state.

The STC stressed that any meaningful dialogue must recognize the will of the southern people, include full international guarantees, and consider a free referendum as part of any future proposals or political solutions.

The council said it had taken part in all stages of dialogue sponsored by Saudi Arabia and the Gulf Cooperation Council, beginning with the 2019 Riyadh Agreement, followed by the 2022 Riyadh Consultations, and culminating in the comprehensive Southern Dialogue that led to the adoption of the Southern National Charter in 2023—underscoring its consistent commitment to dialogue and political responsibility.

Saudi Arabia announced the invitation earlier on Saturday at the request of Rashad Al-Alimi, president of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council.

The Kingdom urged all factions to participate “to develop a comprehensive vision” that would fulfill the aspirations of the southern people.

The initiative has received broad regional and international support.


Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Family of Palestinian-American shot dead by Israeli settler demand accountability

  • Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community

LONDON: The family of a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man reportedly shot dead by an Israeli settler in the occupied West Bank have demanded accountability, amid mounting scrutiny over a surge in settler violence and a lack of prosecutions.

Nasrallah Abu Siyam, a US citizen born in Philadelphia, was killed near the city of Ramallah on Wednesday, becoming at least the sixth American citizen to die in incidents involving Israeli settlers or soldiers in the territory in the past two years.

Relatives say Abu Siyam was among about 30 residents from the village of Mukhmas who confronted armed settlers attempting to steal goats from the community. Witnesses said that stones were thrown by both sides before settlers opened fire, wounding at least three villagers.

Abu Siyam was struck and later died of his injuries.

Abdulhamid Siyam, the victim’s cousin, said the killing reflected a wider pattern of impunity.

“A young man of 19 shot and killed in cold blood, and no responsibility,” he told the BBC. “Impunity completely.”

The US State Department said that it was aware of the death of a US citizen and was “carefully monitoring the situation,” while the Trump administration said that it stood ready to provide consular assistance.

The Israeli embassy in Washington said the incident was under review and that an operational inquiry “must be completed as soon as possible.”

A spokesperson for the Israeli Defense Forces said troops were deployed to the scene and used “riot dispersal means to restore order,” adding that no IDF gunfire was reported.

The military confirmed that the incident remained under review and said that a continued presence would be maintained in the area to prevent further unrest.

Palestinians and human rights organizations say such reviews rarely lead to criminal accountability, arguing that Israeli authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers accused of violence.

A US embassy spokesperson later said that Washington “condemns this violence,” as international concern continues to grow over conditions in the occupied West Bank.

Palestinians and human rights groups say Israeli authorities routinely fail to investigate or prosecute settlers accused of violence against civilians.

Those concerns were echoed this week by the UN, which warned that Israel’s actions in the occupied West Bank may amount to ethnic cleansing.

A UN human rights office report on Thursday said that Israeli settlement expansion, settler attacks and military operations have increasingly displaced Palestinian communities, with dozens of villages reportedly emptied since the start of the Gaza war.

The report also criticized Israeli military tactics in the northern West Bank, saying that they resembled warfare and led to mass displacement, while noting abuses by Palestinian security forces, including the use of unnecessary lethal force and the intimidation of critics.

Neither Israel’s foreign ministry nor the Palestinian Authority has commented on the findings.