Palestine Action hunger strike prisoner loses ability to speak

Police remove a protester for taking part in a demonstration in support Palestine Acton" during a demonstration in support of "Defend Our Juries" and their campaign against the ban on Palestine Action, outside Britain's Home Office in London on November 24, 2025. (FILE/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 29 December 2025
Follow

Palestine Action hunger strike prisoner loses ability to speak

  • Heba Muraisi unable to ‘form sentences’ as she feels ‘weaker as each day passes’
  • Fellow activist Teuta Hoxha ‘virtually bedridden’ as hunger strike continues

LONDON: A prisoner on hunger strike in the UK, detained for activities in support of the banned group Palestine Action, has lost the ability to speak, The Independent reported.

Heba Muraisi said in a statement that she can no longer “form sentences, and (is) struggling to maintain conversation.” She added via the Prisoners for Palestine group that she feels “weaker as each day passes.”

Campaigners say another prisoner on hunger strike now cannot stand up. Eight activists initially went on strike awaiting trial for a range of alleged offenses relating to Palestine Action, including violence and criminal damage.

Earlier this month two of the activists, Qesser Zuhrah and Amu Gib, paused their strikes after 48 days and were admitted to hospital.

As well as Muraisi, three others remain on hunger strike: Teuta Hoxha, Kamran Ahmed and Lewie Chiaramello.

Hoxha, according to Prisoners for Palestine, is “no longer able to stand without blacking out,” experiences “increasing levels of brain fog” and is “virtually bedridden.”

The hunger strikers are demanding immediate bail and to be allowed to “send and receive communications without restriction, surveillance, or interference from the prison administration.”

The eight have been charged over two incidents, a break-in at a Royal Air Force base in June that saw two military aircraft damaged, and a break-in at a facility owned by Israeli-linked defense company Elbit Systems UK on Nov. 19, 2024.

A spokesperson for Prisoners for Palestine said: “Unlike the prison guards, who lock up the prisoners early to go home to their Christmas dinner, the hunger strikers don’t get a Christmas break.

“Just like the Christians in Gaza, who continue to suffer in the freezing cold at the hands of the settler-colonial entity.

“The hunger strikers say to us, don’t forget the people of Palestine over Christmas, and continue to demand a meeting with the British government on their behalf.”

Lawyers acting for the eight have said they risk death if their strike continues and the government does not intervene.

Earlier this month, protests took place led by MP Zarah Sultana over claims that Zuhrah had been refused an ambulance, and the hunger strikers’ legal teams have begun action against the government over what they say are breaches of its own prison safety policy framework.

Prisons Minister James Timpson said: “We are very experienced at dealing with hunger strikes. Unfortunately, over the last five years we have averaged over 200 hunger strike incidents every year and the processes that we have are well-established and they work very well — with prisons working alongside our NHS (National Health Service) partners every day, making sure our systems are robust and working — and they are.

“I am very clear. I don’t treat any prisoners differently to others. That is why we will not be meeting any prisoners or their representatives.

“We have a justice system that is based on the separation of powers, and the independent judiciary is the cornerstone of our system.”


Morocco's cereals harvest expected to double after wet winter

Updated 13 sec ago
Follow

Morocco's cereals harvest expected to double after wet winter

RABAT: Moroccan grains traders and millers ‌expect Morocco to double its cereals harvest this season after abundant winter rains, with limited impact from floods in the northwestern plains of the North African country, which is ​a major grains importer.
Industry leaders plan to add domestic wheat to strategic reserves this year "without compromising imports", said Moulay Abdelkader Alaoui, head of the federation of industrial millers FNM, who expects a domestic harvest of 6 million metric tons.
"We expect a good cereals harvest this year of 8 to 9 million tons, including around 5 million tons of soft wheat," Omar Yacoubi, head of Morocco's wheat trading federation FNCL, told Reuters. The previous harvest was ‌4.4 million ‌tons, including 2.4 million tons of soft wheat.
Morocco traditionally ​cancels ‌its ⁠wheat ​import subsidy ⁠and reinstates customs duties to protect the local harvest.
But this year importers, millers and traders have asked the government to extend the subsidy window to June 1, instead of May 1, to compensate for costs incurred due to bad weather.
Rainfall this winter was 34% above the 30-year average and triple the previous year's levels, while dam filling rates improved to 70% from about 25%, ⁠agriculture ministry data shows, while the total grain-planted area rose ‌to 3.7 million hectares, from 2.6 million the ‌year before.
Flooding in the fertile northwestern plains, ​which destroyed 110,000 hectares, had a "localised" ‌impact, Yacoubi said, with wheat losses to be offset by higher yields ‌in larger plains.
DELAYED SHIPPING
Large swells and storms since mid-December have disrupted port operations at Casablanca and Jorf Lasfar, which handle 80% of Morocco's wheat imports.
Shipping delays have weighed heavily on importers, even as international wheat prices remain below the subsidy eligibility threshold, Yacoubi ‌said, adding that as of this week, 70 ships carrying 1 million tons of wheat were queued outside ⁠ports, leading to low ⁠stock levels.
Moroccan importers are paying about $20,000 per day for ships waiting offshore, pushing them to request an extension of the government subsidy programme.
Traditionally, only half of Morocco's harvest reaches industrial mills because small farmers retain wheat for their own use, but Alaoui said this year's plentiful rainfall should improve crop quality and encourage more collection.
French exporters expect to supply about two-thirds of Morocco's soft wheat import needs, or 3.5 million tons.
From June 2025 to January 2026, Morocco imported 7 million tons of grains, up 12% year-on-year, including 3.2 million tons of soft wheat.
During the same period, France topped Morocco's soft ​wheat suppliers with 2.26 million tons, ​followed by Argentina with 233,144 tons, Russia with 227,070 tons, Germany with 120,084 tons and the U.S. with 94,688 tons.