Palestinians retrieve belongings from West Bank camp before home demolitions

1 / 3
Residents from the Nur Shams refugee camp return to their homes to retrieve belongings ahead of the Israeli military’s demolition of residential buildings. (AFP)
2 / 3
Red Crescent members assist residents of the Nur Shams refugee camp in collecting belongings ahead of the Israeli military’s demolition of homes in the camp. (AFP)
3 / 3
Palestinian residents of the Nur Shams refugee camp pass Israeli soldiers while carrying belongings retrieved from her home ahead of Israeli military demolitions. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 December 2025
Follow

Palestinians retrieve belongings from West Bank camp before home demolitions

  • Israel plans to demolish 25 buildings housing up to 100 families
  • Follows IDF operation earlier this year against camps in the northern occupied West Bank

NUR SHAMS, Palestinian Territories: Dozens of residents from the West Bank’s emptied Nur Shams refugee camp returned on Wednesday to retrieve belongings ahead of the Israeli military’s demolition of 25 residential buildings there.
Early this year, the military launched an ongoing operation it said was aimed at rooting out Palestinian armed groups from camps in the northern occupied West Bank — including Nur Shams, Tulkarem and Jenin.
Loading furniture, children’s toys and even a window frame onto small trucks, Palestinian residents hurried Wednesday to gather as much as they could under the watchful eye of Israeli soldiers, according to an AFP journalist at the scene.
Troops performed ID checks and physical searches, allowing through only those whose houses were set to be demolished.
Some who were able to enter salvaged large empty water tanks, while others came out with family photos, mattresses and heaters.
More than 32,000 people remain displaced from the now-empty camps, where Israeli troops are stationed, according to the UN’s agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA.
Mahmud Abdallah, who was displaced from Nur Shams and was able to enter a part of the camp on Wednesday, said he witnessed for the first time the destruction that had taken place after he was forced to leave.
“I was surprised to find that there were no habitable houses; maybe two or three, but they were not suitable for living,” he said.
“The camp is destroyed.”

‘Determined to return’

The demolitions, affecting 25 buildings housing up to 100 families, were announced earlier this week and are scheduled for Thursday.
They are officially part of a broader Israeli strategy of home demolitions to ease its military vehicles’ access in the dense refugee camps of the northern West Bank.
Israel has occupied the Palestinian territory since 1967.
Ahmed Al-Masri, a camp resident whose house was to be demolished, told AFP that his request for access was denied.
“When I asked why, I was told: ‘Your name is not in the liaison office records’,” he said.
UNRWA’s director for the West Bank and east Jerusalem, Roland Friedrich, said an estimated 1,600 houses were fully or partially destroyed during the military operation, making it “the most severe displacement crisis that the West Bank has seen since 1967.”
Nur Shams, along with other refugee camps in the West Bank, was established after the creation of Israel in 1948, when hundreds of thousands of Palestinians were displaced from their homes in what is now Israel.
“We ask God to compensate us with palaces in paradise,” said Ibtisam Al-Ajouz, a displaced camp resident whose house was also set to be destroyed.
“We are determined to return, and God willing, we will rebuild. Even if the houses are demolished, we will not be afraid — our morale is high.”


Syrian government takes over Qamishli airport security in Hasaka

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Syrian government takes over Qamishli airport security in Hasaka

  • Qamishli airport has been out of service for the past 15 years and was the only major airport under SDF control
  • The Ministry of Interior is conducting the handover process to restore full state authority over vital facilities

LONDON: Syrian authorities have taken over security responsibilities at Qamishli airport in Hasaka Province, northeastern Syrian Arab Republic, as part of the implementation of the agreement between Damascus and the Syrian Democratic Forces.

The Ministry of Interior, represented by the Directorate of Airport and Border Security, is conducting the handover process on Sunday to restore full state authority over vital facilities and enhance security procedures at airports and border crossings, according to the Syrian Arab News Agency.

Qamishli airport has been out of service for the past 15 years and was the only major airport under SDF control.

In January, the Syrian army entered Hasakah and deployed throughout the Jazira region to secure it under an agreement between the Syrian government and the SDF.

Under the agreement, both the Syrian government and the SDF agreed to a ceasefire and a phased integration of military and administrative structures. It also includes deploying government security forces and transferring control of civil institutions and border areas to the state, the SANA added.