Pakistan says India, Israel pushed false narrative linking Sydney attack suspects to Islamabad

Federal Minister for Information and Broadcasting Attaullah Tarar speaks during a press briefing in Islamabad, Pakistan, on December 17, 2025. (Screengrab/PTV News)
Short Url
Updated 17 December 2025
Follow

Pakistan says India, Israel pushed false narrative linking Sydney attack suspects to Islamabad

  • Ata Tarar says Indian police and foreign authorities have confirmed the suspects are of Indian origin
  • Minister commends Australia for a professional investigation and for refraining from assigning blame

ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Information and Broadcasting Attaullah Tarar on Wednesday criticized India and Israel for running a disinformation campaign to falsely link suspects in a deadly shooting incident on Sydney’s Bondi Beach to Pakistan, saying the allegations were baseless and aimed at maligning the country.

Tarar’s briefing came after a mass shooting on Dec. 14 in which two gunmen opened fire on a crowd, killing 15 people and injuring dozens, in what Australian officials described as a terrorist attack targeting the Jewish community. Soon after, media reports claimed the attack was carried out by a father and son named Sajid and Naveed Akram.

Subsequently, Indian news channels and social media accounts started circulating unverified claims the suspects were Pakistanis, amplifying images of a Sydney resident with the same name — Naveed Akram — wearing a Pakistan cricket team shirt, a claim later denied by the man in a video in which he said he feared for his life after receiving threats.

“This campaign was launched from hostile countries trying to malign Pakistan,” Tarar said while briefing foreign journalists in Islamabad. “In Israel, in India, this campaign was proliferated and posted on social media platforms as well as electronic media platforms, which is very, very sad because Pakistan has been a front line state in the war against terrorism.”

He said Pakistan condemned the Sydney attack and expressed solidarity with Australia, noting that it understands the pain of such incidents as a country that has suffered decades of militant violence.

“There was no verification, no documentation, no evidence whatsoever,” he said. “Yet a false campaign was launched, and even reputed media outlets failed to uphold basic journalistic standards.”

He said Indian police later confirmed the father involved in the attack was from India’s Telangana state and that his passport had been issued by the Indian embassy in Sydney, adding that Philippine authorities had also confirmed the suspect had recently traveled to their country on an Indian passport.

Tarar praised Australian authorities for what he called a professional investigation and for refraining from assigning blame until facts were verified.

He questioned whether legal action or apologies would follow for what he described as reputational damage to Pakistan, saying the country had lost more than 90,000 lives in its fight against terrorism, including schoolchildren killed in the 2014 Army Public School attack in Peshawar, which Pakistan commemorates annually on Dec. 16.

The minister reiterated Pakistan’s long-standing accusations that India supports militant activity inside Pakistan, particularly in Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, claims New Delhi has repeatedly denied.

Pakistan, he said, would continue to condemn terrorism “in all its forms and manifestations” and urged international media to verify information before publishing unsubstantiated allegations.


Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Tariq confident Pakistan can bounce back after India drubbing

  • Pakistan suffered 61-run defat at India’s hands, must beat Namibia on Wednesday to advance further 
  • Pakistan spinner Usman Tariq says team has worked on mistakes, has resolved not to repeat them

COLOMBO: Spinner Usman Tariq said Tuesday he was confident that Pakistan can bounce back from their T20 World Cup drubbing against India and seal qualification for the next round.

India’s 61-run romp means Pakistan must beat Namibia in their final match in Colombo on Wednesday to qualify for the Super Eights.

A defeat would eliminate Pakistan, who are third behind the USA on net run rate in Group A.

It would also leave an outside chance for the Netherlands to qualify, but they would need a big win over co-hosts India in Ahmedabad on Wednesday.

“Lifting the team is only difficult when you don’t work on your mistakes committed in the last game,” Tariq told reporters.

“We have worked on our mistakes so I think it will not be a tough task.

“We have a resolve not to commit the same mistakes again.”

Pakistan were criticized for asking India to bat then folding meekly for 114 in 18 overs chasing a stiff 176 target.

“We can feel their (fans’) disappointment because the match is watched by the whole nation,” Tariq said.

“So we feel their pain but I am sure when we play them (India) next we will put up a better show.”

Tariq dismissed rumors that batting star Babar Azam and pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi could be dropped against Namibia after poor performances against India.

“Both Azam and Shaheen have won many matches for Pakistan so if they did not perform well in one game we should not write them off,” said Tariq.

Pakistan have faced Namibia only once before in a T20 international.

“Whoever we play we have the confidence to beat them and our goal is to play the final and win the cup which we will try our best to achieve.”

Namibia have lost all three of their group matches.