Gazans struggle to retrieve bodies as storms lash war-damaged buildings

Members of the Palestinian civil defence search for the bodies of the Salem family in the rubble of a building destroyed in 2023 in the Rimal neighbourhood of Gaza City on December 15, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 15 December 2025
Follow

Gazans struggle to retrieve bodies as storms lash war-damaged buildings

  • Gaza Civil Defense spokesman Mahmoud Basal called on the international community to provide mobile homes and caravans for displaced Palestinians rather than tents
  • UN and Palestinian officials said at least 300,000 new tents are urgently needed for the roughly 1.5 million people still displaced. Most existing shelters are worn out or made of thin plastic and cloth sheeting

GAZA: Authorities in Gaza warned on Monday that more war-damaged buildings may collapse because of heavy rain in the devastated Palestinian enclave. 

They said the weather was making it hard to recover bodies still under the rubble.
Two buildings collapsed in Gaza on Friday, killing at least 12 people according to local health authorities, amid a storm that has also washed away and flooded tents, and led to deaths from exposure.
Israel and Hamas agreed to a ceasefire in October after two years of intense bombardment and military operations. 

I saw my son’s hand sticking out from under the ground. The scene affected me the most. My son is under the ground, and we are unable to get him out.

Mohammed Nassar, Gaza resident

However, humanitarian agencies say there is still very little aid getting into Gaza, where nearly the entire population is homeless.
Gaza Civil Defense spokesman Mahmoud Basal called on the international community to provide mobile homes and caravans for displaced Palestinians rather than tents.
“If people are not protected today, we will witness more victims, more killing of people, children, women, entire families inside these buildings,” he said.
Mohammed Nassar and his family were living in a six-story building that was severely damaged by Israeli strikes earlier in the war, and then collapsed on Friday.
His family had struggled to find alternative accommodation and had been flooded out while living in a tent during a previous severe weather event. Nassar went out to buy some necessities on Friday and returned to a scene of carnage with rescue workers struggling to pull bodies from the rubble.
“I saw my son’s hand sticking out from under the ground. The scene affected me the most. My son is under the ground, and we are unable to get him out,” Nassar said. His son, 15, died, as did a daughter, aged 18.
Later on Monday, the head of the UN Palestinian refugee agency said more aid must be allowed into Gaza without delays to prevent putting more displaced families at serious risk.
“With heavy rain and cold brought in by Storm Byron, people in the Gaza Strip are freezing to death,” UNRWA Commissioner-General Philippe Lazzarini posted on X.
“The waterlogged ruins where they are sheltering are collapsing, causing even more exposure to cold,” he added.
Lazzarini said they have supplies that have been waiting for months to enter Gaza and would cover the needs of hundreds of thousands of the population of over 2 million.
UN and Palestinian officials said at least 300,000 new tents are urgently needed for the roughly 1.5 million people still displaced. Most existing shelters are worn out or made of thin plastic and cloth sheeting.
Gaza authorities are meanwhile still digging to recover around 9,000 bodies they estimate remain buried in rubble from Israeli bombing during the war, but they lack the machinery needed to expedite the work, spokesman Ismail Al-Thawabta said.
On Monday, rescue workers retrieved the remains of around 20 people from a multi-story building bombed in December 2023, where around 60 people, including 30 children, were believed to be sheltering.
Gaza authorities say Israel is not allowing in as much aid as promised under the truce. 
Aid agencies say Israel is blocking essential items. 
Israel says it is meeting its obligations and accuses agencies of inefficiency and failing to prevent theft by Hamas, which the group denies.

 


Sudan slams Uganda for hosting RSF chief

Updated 11 sec ago
Follow

Sudan slams Uganda for hosting RSF chief

  • Sudan’s Foreign Ministry on Sunday criticized the meeting, saying the RSF’s atrocities had been “documented by the international community and condemned by regional organizations of which Uganda is a member”

KHARTOUM: Sudan’s government on Sunday criticized Kampala for hosting rival paramilitary chief Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, slamming the reception he received from Uganda’s president as an “affront to humanity.”
Since April 2023, the Sudanese military, led by army chief Gen. Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, has been at war with the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces, commanded by Gen. Al-Burhan’s former deputy, commonly known as Hemeti.
Dagalo on Friday met with Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni at Entebbe’s State House, a day after a United Nations probe found his forces had committed acts of genocide in Darfur.
Sudan’s Foreign Ministry on Sunday criticized the meeting, saying the RSF’s atrocities had been “documented by the international community and condemned by regional organizations of which Uganda is a member,” including the African Union and the Intergovernmental Authority on Development, or IGAD.
Dagalo, speaking during his visit, said he travelled to Uganda after President Museveni was approached by the Sudanese army seeking his mediation.
His visit came a week after Museveni hosted Malik Agar, Burhan’s deputy, in his ruling Transitional Sovereignty Council.
Addressing supporters on Friday, Dagalo called for Africa-led mediation.
“From the first day of the war, we said negotiations must be African. Peace should be made in Africa: IGAD and the African Union,” he told the gathering.
Friday’s meeting was the RSF commander’s second with Museveni. 
His first in December 2023 occurred during a regional tour, when analysts said Hemeti sought to bolster his legitimacy with African leaders.
He has since declared a rival administration in Darfur, which has received no international recognition.