RIYADH: Saudi football clubs have not considered negotiating a move by Liverpool’s Egyptian striker Mohamed Salah to the Saudi Pro League, official Saudi sources told Asharq Al-Awsat on Wednesday.
Media speculation concerning possible talks between Salah and clubs in the Kingdom surfaced earlier this week after the player spoke out against Liverpool Football Club’s management and coach Arne Slot.
However, Saudi sources dismissed claims of a possible move as “promotional news” placed in the media by Salah’s agent and entourage.
Roshn Saudi League clubs “have not taken any steps” in that direction, basically due to Salah’s current contract that extends until mid-2027, added the sources.
Involving Saudi clubs has become a common practice among many international players experiencing problems with their clubs, with the aim of increasing their market value or creating false interest, the sources added.
Clubs including Al-Hilal, Al-Nassr, Al-Ittihad, and Al-Ahli, along with Al-Qadisiyah and NEOM, have not held talks or even considered contacting Salah, Liverpool, or his agent, the sources said.
Asharq Al-Awsat published on Tuesday an official denial from an Al-Hilal source on the matter and described the reports as “baseless rumors.”
The newspaper also carried a similar denial from sources within Al-Qadisiyah, who confirmed that the club, owned by Aramco, has no intention of pursuing Salah.
Omar Maghrabi, SPL’s CEO, said during his address at the World Football Summit on Wednesday that Salah would be welcome in the Saudi league, but the clubs are the parties responsible for negotiating with players.
Saudi Pro League clubs dismiss claims of talks with Liverpool striker Mohamed Salah
https://arab.news/5rdb3
Saudi Pro League clubs dismiss claims of talks with Liverpool striker Mohamed Salah
- Asharq Al-Awsat report describes media hints at possible Salah move to Kingdom as ‘baseless rumors’
- Sources say major clubs Al-Hilal, Al-Nassr, Al-Ittihad, and Al-Ahli, along with Al-Qadisiyah and NEOM, have not considered contacting Salah, Liverpool, or his agent
Ton-up Farhan helps Pakistan seal Super Eight spot with Namibia rout
- It was Farhan’s maiden T20 ton and he became only the second Pakistani to score a T20 World Cup century after Ahmed Shehzad in 2014 against Bangladesh
COLOMBO: Sahibzada Farhan hit a magnificent unbeaten century to help Pakistan seal the final Super Eight berth at the T20 World Cup with a thumping 102-run win over Namibia in Colombo on Wednesday.
Farhan scored 100 not out off 58 balls with four sixes and 10 fours as Pakistan posted 199-3 before they routed Namibia for 97 in 17.3 overs.
Pakistan’s victory took them to six points from four games in Group A and eliminated the United States, who finished with four points.
India also have six points and play the Netherlands in the group’s final game later Wednesday.
The defending champions India, South Africa, Zimbabwe and the West Indies will play each other in the Super eights Group 1, hosted in India.
Pakistan join New Zealand, England and co-hosts Sri Lanka in Group 2, hosted in Sri Lanka.
After a morale-shattering 61-run defeat against India, Pakistan needed a victory to avoid an early exit, which was achieved with ease as spinners Usman Tariq (4-16) and Shadab Khan (3-19) tore through the Namibia batting.
Louren Steenkamp scored 23 while Alexander Busing-Volschenk was the only other batsman to reach double figures with 20.
‘Complete performance’
Skipper Salman Agha praised a clinical show.
“It is a complete performance,” said a relieved Agha.
“We batted well and Farhan anchored the innings. He has been batting well for a while and I am happy that he got his hundred.
“With the ball we were lethal.”
Namibian skipper Gerhard Erasmus admitted Pakistan’s spin bowlers were too hot to handle.
“It (spin) is a special skill to have, to turn the ball both ways like they do,” said Erasmus.
“I think that’s one of the things we’ll definitely take home and look to improve on.”
Farhan earlier blasted a six and a four off pace bowler Jack Brassell to enter the 90s before taking a single off Gerhard Erasmus to complete his hundred in the final over.
It was Farhan’s maiden T20 ton and he became only the second Pakistani to score a T20 World Cup century after Ahmed Shehzad in 2014 against Bangladesh.
Shadab Khan, promoted to No. 5 with Babar Azam left out, hit three sixes and a four in his 36 not out off 22 balls as Pakistan smashed 42 from the last three overs.
Farhan put on 40 for the opening wicket with Saim Ayub (14) before consolidating the innings during a 67-run second wicket stand with captain Salman Agha (38).
Pakistan also left out pace bowler Shaheen Shah Afridi after a poor show in the first three matches, including conceding 31 in two overs in the defeat against India on Sunday.
Farhan’s ton means this is the first T20 World Cup in which three centuries have been scored.
He followed Sri Lanka’s Pathum Nissanka, who scored a hundred against Australia on Monday, and Canada’s Yuvraj Sama who reached three figures against New Zealand on Tuesday.










