Pakistan offers assistance to Sri Lanka after floods kill over 50

A man wades through floodwaters outside his house after heavy rainfall in Kaduwela on the outskirts of Colombo on November 28, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 28 November 2025
Follow

Pakistan offers assistance to Sri Lanka after floods kill over 50

  • Nearly 44,000 people have been affected by floods across Sri Lanka, and many have sought refuge in schools and public shelters
  • Over 20,000 police, military personnel have stepped up evacuations in multiple towns after authorities warned of rising flood waters

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Deputy Prime Minister Ishaq Dar on Friday offered relief support to Sri Lanka after deadly floods killed more than 50 in the tropical South Asian country.

Sri Lanka closed government offices and schools on Friday as the death toll from this week’s floods and landslides rose to 56, with roads, fields and more than 600 houses damaged.

In a post on X, the Pakistani deputy prime minister expressed sorrow over the loss of lives in Sri Lanka and extended his condolences to the families of the deceased.

“Pakistan stands in full solidarity with our Sri Lankan brothers and sisters in this difficult time,” he said in a post on X. “Pakistan is ready to provide all possible support for the relief efforts.”

Nearly 44,000 people have been affected by floods across Sri Lanka, and many have sought refuge in schools and public shelters, according to the Disaster Management Center (DMC).

The Irrigation Department said it expected the floods that have already affected countless areas across southern and eastern Sri Lanka, including many parts of capital Colombo, to spread even further.

Over 20,000 police and military personnel have stepped up evacuations in multiple towns, including the outskirts of Sri Lanka’s largest city Colombo, after authorities warned of rising flood waters.

Pakistan has also been reeling from this year’s floods that killed more than 1,000 people and affected around 3.6 million across the country, where scientists say rising temperatures are making monsoon rains heavier and more erratic.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.