Pakistani forces kill 13 militants in separate engagements in restive northwest — military

Soldiers holds their caps as a helicopter flies past during an operation, after a militant attack at Bacha Khan University in Charsadda, Pakistan, January 20, 2016. (Reuters/File)
Short Url
Updated 21 November 2025
Follow

Pakistani forces kill 13 militants in separate engagements in restive northwest — military

  • The operations were conducted in Lakki Marwat, Dera Ismail Khan districts against Pakistani Taliban
  • The uptick in militant violence last month triggered fierce clashes between Pakistan and Afghanistan

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani security forces have killed 13 Pakistani Taliban militants in separate operations in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province, the military said on Friday, amid an uptick in attacks in the South Asian country.

The intelligence-based operations were conducted in KP’s Lakki Marwat and Dera Ismail Khan districts against the Pakistani Taliban, or the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), which has stepped up its attacks against security forces in recent years.

The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the military’s media wing, said weapons and ammunition were recovered from the deceased “Indian-sponsored” militants, who remained actively involved in “numerous terrorist activities” and target killing of civilians.

“Sanitization operations are being conducted to eliminate any other Indian-sponsored kharji (militant) found in the area,” the ISPR said in a statement.

There was no immediate response from New Delhi to the Pakistani military’s statement.

KP, which borders Afghanistan, has seen a surge in militancy in recent years. The TTP and other militant groups have frequently targeted security forces convoys and check-posts, besides targeted killings and kidnappings of law enforcers and government officials in recent months.

A day earlier, the Pakistani military said it had killed 23 militants in multiple operations in KP’s Kurram district.

Islamabad has long accused Kabul of allowing its soil and India of backing militant groups, including the TTP, for attacks against Pakistan. Kabul and New Delhi have consistently denied this.

The uptick in militant violence last month triggered fierce clashes between Pakistan and Afghanistan. The two countries agreed to a ceasefire in Doha on Oct. 19, but tensions between the neighbors remain high.
 


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.