Slovakia may sue EU over plans to stop Russian gas supplies

Slovakia is considering suing the EU over its plans to stop the delivery of Russian gas supplies from 2028 as a result of its war in Ukraine, Prime Minister Robert Fico said on Wednesday. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 19 November 2025
Follow

Slovakia may sue EU over plans to stop Russian gas supplies

  • Slovakia and Hungary have been sharply critical of the EU executive’s plans to phase out Russian energy
  • “There will be a document discussed by the government next week, where we will consider the possibility of filing a lawsuit,” Fico said

BRATISLAVA: Slovakia is considering suing the EU over its plans to stop the delivery of Russian gas supplies from 2028 as a result of its war in Ukraine, Prime Minister Robert Fico said on Wednesday.
Slovakia and Hungary have been sharply critical of the EU executive’s plans to phase out Russian energy, with both still highly reliant on gas and oil supplies from Moscow and fearful that more-costly alternatives will damage their economies.
Fico, who has broken ranks with most of Europe over his pro-Moscow stance, said on Wednesday he had tasked his economy, foreign and justice ministers with analizing options to sue the EU for stopping Russian gas supplies to Slovakia.
“There will be a document discussed by the government next week, where we will consider the possibility of filing a lawsuit,” Fico told a televised briefing.

UNABLE TO BLOCK PLANS “Everything will depend a lot on how the European Commission fulfils its commitments to Slovakia, which were given and signed directly by the president of the European Commission,” Fico added, in reference to guarantees over possible shortages or price spikes the EU executive gave earlier this year.
He did not say how much Slovakia may sue the EU for, nor did he explain on what precise legal basis.
EU energy ministers last month backed the proposal to phase out Russian oil and gas imports to the bloc by January 2028. EU countries must negotiate the final rules with the European Parliament, which is still debating its position.
Slovakia has been unable to block the plan as it needs only a majority in favor, rather than a unanimous vote. Instead, Fico has sought to hold up the EU’s last two sanctions packages against Russia, which require unanimity, in order to get guarantees and other demands. Fico added the government will also discuss an EU proposal — which has yet to be agreed — for using Russian frozen assets to give Ukraine a loan worth 140 billion euros ($162 billion).
He reiterated opposition to the plan, saying it raised legal questions and uncertainties.


Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Norway moves some of its 60 soldiers in Middle East due to security situation

  • Norway declined to say how many soldiers it was relocating and which locations were affected
  • Norway has forces stationed in several sites in Iraq and other nearby countries

COPENHAGEN: Norway is relocating some of the around 60 soldiers it has in the Middle East to Norway as well as to other countries in the region on security grounds, a spokesperson for the Norwegian armed forces ⁠said on Friday.
US ⁠President Donald Trump warned Iran on Thursday it must make a deal over its nuclear program or “really bad things” will happen, setting a deadline of 10 ⁠to 15 days, drawing a threat from Tehran to retaliate against US bases in the region if attacked.
Norway declined to say how many soldiers it was relocating and which locations were affected.
“These are soldiers who have jobs like training local forces and other missions,” Lt. Col. Vegard Finberg from ⁠the Norwegian ⁠Joint Headquarters told Reuters.
“The way the situation is now, it’s not possible for them to do their primary tasks, and that’s why we are relocating them,” he said, adding other nations had made similar moves in recent days.
Norway has forces stationed in several sites in Iraq and other nearby countries.