Pakistani special aircraft carrying 100 tons of relief supplies for Gaza arrives in Egypt

Children play near shelters and tents in the Bureij refugee camp, in the central Gaza Strip, on November 18, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 19 November 2025
Follow

Pakistani special aircraft carrying 100 tons of relief supplies for Gaza arrives in Egypt

  • Relief consignment contains tents, tarpaulin sheets and jerry cans, says state media 
  • Israel has killed over 69,000 Palestinians in Gaza in its war that began in October 2023

Islamabad: A special chartered aircraft from Pakistan carrying 100 tons of humanitarian and relief supplies for the people of Gaza landed at the El Arish International Airport in Egypt on Tuesday, Pakistani state media reported. 

The aircraft was dispatched by Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), in collaboration with local charity organization Al-Khidmat Foundation, from the eastern city of Lahore on Tuesday. 

“The relief consignment includes non-food items consisting much-needed tents, tarpaulin sheets and jerry cans,” state broadcaster Radio Pakistan reported. 

The aid supplies were handed over to the Egyptian Red Crescent Society to be dispatched onwards to the people of Gaza. 

“The Government and people of Pakistan are profoundly thankful to the Egyptian government under the leadership of President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, and Egyptian Red Crescent Society for facilitating the delivery of humanitarian assistance from the Government and people of Pakistan for the Palestinian brethren,” Radio Pakistan added. 

“More humanitarian and relief consignments are on their way and will be delivered to the brotherly people of Gaza during coming weeks,” the state media said. 

Pakistan has sent relief items for Palestinians since Israel’s war on Gaza began in October 2023. At least 69,000 Palestinians were killed in Gaza during the almost two years of war that began in October 2023. 

Israeli forces bombed schools, hospitals and educational institutions during the war, killing a large number of women and children. 

Israel also blocked humanitarian and relief supplies from reaching Gaza, causing hunger and diseases to spread across the densely populated territory before a fragile ceasefire was brokered by the US this year. 


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.