Pakistan vow ‘maximum chances’ for young players as tri-nation series kicks off today

Pakistan's cricket team's captain, Salman Ali Agha (right) posing with the captain of Sri Lankan cricket team (left) and captain of Zimbabwe's cricket team (center) with the trophy ahead of the Tri-nations series in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, on November 17, 2025. (PCB/Facebook)
Short Url
Updated 18 November 2025
Follow

Pakistan vow ‘maximum chances’ for young players as tri-nation series kicks off today

  • Pakistan’s T20I squad includes young cricketers Abdul Samad, Usman Tariq, pacer Salman Mirza
  • Pakistan take on Zimbabwe in tri-nation series involving Sri Lanka in Rawalpindi today

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s T20I captain Salman Ali Agha has vowed to give “maximum chances” to young players as the Green Shirts brace for their opening clash against Zimbabwe today, Tuesday, as the tri-nation series with Sri Lanka kicks off. 

Pakistan have recently discovered fresh talent in the form of aggressive batter Abdul Samad, pacer Mohammad Salman Mirza and spinner Usman Tariq in recent months. The South Asian team has been on the lookout this year for aggressive players more suited to the modern standards of T20 cricket, typically aggressive batting.

The hosts will open the tri-nation series today in Rawalpindi by taking on Zimbabwe. Sri Lanka will look to improve their prospects in white-ball cricket after losing 3-0 to Pakistan in their recently concluded ODI series. 

“As far as the new players are concerned, we will make sure everyone gets an opportunity,” Agha told reporters at a press conference on Monday night. “But at the end of the day, whatever team you play, our first priority is always winning matches.

Agha said one cannot afford the luxury of taking any team “lightly” in the T20 format. 

“So our first priority will be winning matches and we will try to give people maximum chances,” he added. 

Agha noted that Samad was returning to the squad after four months, having last played against New Zealand. He said the team will try to give him the maximum number of chances in the tri-nation series. 

“Salman [Mirza] has also played only three to four matches. We will try to give him maximum chances as well,” he added. 

Pakistan head into the series with an impressive momentum, having won a tri-nation series in the UAE earlier this year involving Afghanistan and the UAE, and later reaching the final of the Asia Cup tournament. 

Pakistan also won the T20I series against South Africa 2-1. 

Squads:

Pakistan: Salman Ali Agha (captain), Abdul Samad, Abrar Ahmed, Babar Azam, Faheem Ashraf, Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Wasim Jr., Mohammad Salman Mirza, Naseem Shah, Sahibzada Farhan (wicketkeeper), Saim Ayub, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Usman Khan (wicketkeeper), Usman Tariq

Zimbabwe: Sikandar Raza (captain), Brian Bennett, Ryan Burl, Graeme Cremer, Bradley Evans, Clive Madande, Tinotenda Maposa, Wellington Masakadza, Tadiwanashe Marumani, Tony Munyonga, Tashinga Musekiwa, Dion Myers, Richard Ngarava, Newman Nyamhuri, Brendan Taylor
 


Vaughan calls for probe into reports Pakistan stars sidelined from Hundred

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Vaughan calls for probe into reports Pakistan stars sidelined from Hundred

  • The Hundred is an English 100-ball-per-side franchise cricket competition with eight teams
  • BBC says Indian-owned teams may avoid selecting Pakistani players at next month’s auction

LONDON: Michael Vaughan has urged the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to “act fast” on reports that Pakistani players will be overlooked by Indian-owned teams in the domestic Hundred competition.

Longstanding political tensions between India and Pakistan have led to the border rivals only playing each other in international cricket events, although their recent Colombo showdown at the ongoing T20 World Cup in India and Sri Lanka only went ahead after Pakistan called off a threatened boycott.

It has been claimed that politics has also led to an effective ban on Pakistani players participating in the Indian Premier League, world cricket’s most lucrative T20 franchise competition.

And with several IPL owners now owning teams in several different countries, opportunities for Pakistani cricketers to participate in various leagues are in danger of being reduced further.

The BBC has now reported that the issue could be a factor during next month’s player auction for English cricket’s Hundred, a 100 balls-per-side competition featuring eight franchises rather than the traditional 18 first-class counties.

Players will go under the hammer in London on March 11-12, with the BBC reporting that the four Indian-affiliated Hundred teams — Manchester Super Giants, MI London, Southern Brave and Sunrisers Leeds will deliberately avoid selecting players from Pakistan.

More than 50 Pakistani cricketers have registered their availability, with four other teams involved in the bidding.

The ECB have been unable to substantiate the BBC allegations, but former England captain Vaughan has called for the governing body to investigate the issue thoroughly.

Vaughan, referencing the ECB’s stated aim of cricket becoming the most inclusive sport in the country, posted on Friday on X: “The ECB need to act fast on this... they own the league and this should not be allowed to happen... the most inclusive sport in the country is not one that allows this to happen.”

An ECB spokesman said: “The Hundred welcomes men’s and women’s players from all over the world and we would expect the eight teams to reflect that.

“Almost 1,000 cricketers from 18 nations have registered for The Hundred auction, with representation on the longlist of over 50 players respectively from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan and West Indies.”

Only two Pakistan internationals — Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim — — appeared in last year’s Hundred, the final edition before new investors became involved.