Appeal for Tunisian opposition figures in conspiracy case adjourned

A police vehicle is parked in front of the Tunis court on May 22, 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 November 2025
Follow

Appeal for Tunisian opposition figures in conspiracy case adjourned

  • Dilou described the trial as “political” and said the adjournment “perhaps reflects a haste to issue a verdict”

TUNIS: An appeal trial for nearly 40 Tunisian public and opposition figures sentenced for plotting against the state was adjourned on Monday, after a hearing without main defendants in court.
In April, a Tunisian court gave custodial sentences of up to 74 years to the defendants on charges of “conspiracy against state security” and “belonging to a terrorist group” in proceedings criticized by rights groups.
Among the defendants were Jawhar Ben Mbarek, co-founder of a leading opposition coalition, party leaders Issam Chebbi and Ghazi Chaouachi, and businessman Kamel Ltaief — all detained since February 2023.
At the opening of Monday’s hearing, defense lawyers refused to allow their clients to be heard virtually, demanding that they be brought to court instead. The hearing was later adjourned to November 27.
“The session lacked the most basic requirements of a fair trial,” said lawyer Samir Dilou. “We reject remote trial.”
Dilou described the trial as “political” and said the adjournment “perhaps reflects a haste to issue a verdict.”
Boubaker Bethabet, head of the bar association, said the defense team “requested that the defendants be brought to court to defend themselves.”
The court said Ben Mbarek — who has been on hunger strike for more than two weeks — failed to appear for the hearing, while his family said he was hospitalized for a second time since Thursday.
Last week, his relatives and his lawyer said he had been beaten by prison guards and other inmates in an attempt to force him to eat.
Prison authorities then opened an investigation into the incident, his defense team said.
Human Rights Watch last week called on authorities to “end this judicial farce, which is part of a wider crackdown on any form of criticism or dissent,” denouncing “baseless accusations” and “a judicial process devoid of fair trial guarantees.”
The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk in April said the trial was “marred by violations of fair trial and due process rights, raising serious concerns about political motivations.”
Since President Kais Saied launched a power grab in the summer of 2021 and assumed total control of the country, rights advocates and opposition figures have decried a rollback of freedoms in Tunisia where the 2011 Arab Spring uprisings began.
Some 20 NGOs in Tunisia have been temporarily suspended in recent weeks, sources familiar with the matter told AFP.
Amnesty International denounced the crackdown as a “steady erosion of Tunisia’s once-vibrant civil society.”
Dozens of opposition activists, lawyers, journalists and NGO workers have been behind bars on conspiracy charges or under a decree prohibiting “spreading false news,” which rights groups denounce as a means to stifle dissent.
 

 


Western medics say Israel is denying access to Gaza over their views

Updated 9 sec ago
Follow

Western medics say Israel is denying access to Gaza over their views

  • In December, 37 NGOs were told to cease all operations in Palestinian enclave
  • UK Foreign Office: ‘Israel must immediately lift restrictions in line with international humanitarian law’

LONDON: Medics in the UK and US say Israel has denied them entry into Gaza, The Guardian reported on Tuesday.

Israel is required under international law to allow entry to the Palestinian enclave for humanitarian aid, but medics have told The Guardian that they believe they have been barred for speaking out about the situation there.

James Smith, an emergency doctor from the UK, said: “I can only assume that it was elements of my public profile, because I’m otherwise a white, middle-class, British man with no Palestinian heritage, no criminal convictions.”

He added: “Not just had I spoken to media outlets but I had spoken in a particular way.”

Smith, who was working with the group Medical Aid for Palestinians, said among Israel’s guidelines for allowing NGOs and other staff to enter Gaza are clauses on calling for or participating in boycotts of the country. “It’s the expression of my politics that must have rattled them,” he added.

Consultant surgeon Khaled Dawas, who traveled to Gaza in 2024, told The Guardian that political views of individuals must be the reason for Israel barring access to Gaza.

“I can’t think of anything else,” he said after he was denied access in August and November last year. “I’m not military. I don’t carry anything. I’m no different to the colleagues who have gone in. The only difference is that they haven’t spoken up as much.”

Chicago-based emergency physician Thaer Ahmad said he was denied access to Gaza on four occasions. He believes that his Palestinian-American identity may have been part of the reason.

“This idea of weaponizing access and weaponizing aid, it’s engrained in all of the decisions that we see are being made in Gaza,” he said.

In August, the World Health Organization said the refusal rates for international medics trying to enter Gaza had risen by 50 percent in the previous six months.

In December, 37 NGOs were informed by Israel that they would need to cease all operations in Gaza despite the humanitarian situation in the enclave. 

Among those barred is MAP, which said it had struggled to gain any access to Gaza since September, with no reason given by Israeli authorities.

MAP’s CEO Steve Cutts told The Guardian: “Israel’s deregistration of international NGOs and restrictions on medical personnel are part of a wider pattern of measures that are cruelly blocking humanitarian assistance and obstructing independent medical witnesses.”

Victoria Rose, a plastic surgeon from London who was denied entry in 2025, said: “They don’t want anyone going that knows the system, is useful, that is effective, that’s where it seems to be. I don’t necessarily think they’ve got a handle of what I’ve done or said.”

A petition recently filed in Israel’s Supreme Court on behalf of seven denied access requests into Gaza cited the case of British orthopaedic surgeon Graeme Groom, who said he was denied access to the enclave on three occasions since Oct. 7, 2023, without explanation.

“We think it may be because we are bearing witness to what is happening in Gaza,” he said. “Denying us entry is an extension of the policy which has excluded international journalists, and kills Palestinian journalists.”

A spokesperson for the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office said: “Israel must immediately lift restrictions and allow food, medical supplies and fuel to reach those in desperate need, in line with international humanitarian law.”