BBC ‘determined to fight’ Trump defamation claim

Logo at BBC Broadcasting House, as Trump has said he would likely sue the BBC for as much as $5 billion after the British broadcaster admitted it wrongly edited a video of a speech he gave. (REUTERS/File)
Short Url
Updated 18 November 2025
Follow

BBC ‘determined to fight’ Trump defamation claim

  • Corporation chair Samir Shah says he sees no basis for Trump’s defamation claim, apologized for editing of Trump’s speech
  • Trump’s lawyers said would file case in the US where the US president is expected to face tougher legal standard given the protection of freedom of speech in the constitution

LONDON: The BBC is determined to fight any legal action filed by US President Donald Trump and sees no basis for a defamation case over its editing of one of his speeches, its chair said on Monday.

Trump said on Friday he was likely to sue the British broadcaster this week for up to $5 billion after it spliced together separate excerpts of a speech on January 6, 2021, when his supporters stormed the Capitol. The edit created the impression he had called for violence.

BBC chair Samir Shah sent a letter to Trump to apologize for the edit, the BBC said on Thursday, but it said it strongly disagreed there was a basis for a defamation claim.

SHAH SAYS BBC POSITION HAS NOT CHANGED

Trump told reporters on Friday he would sue for anywhere between $1 billion and $5 billion.

Shah told BBC staff in an email on Monday there was speculation about the possibility of legal action, including potential costs or settlements.

“In all this we are, of course, acutely aware of the privilege of our funding and the need to protect our license fee payers, the British public,” Shah wrote.

“I want to be very clear with you — our position has not changed. There is no basis for a defamation case and we are determined to fight this.”

The documentary, made by a third party, aired in Britain before the November 2024 US election. It showed Trump telling supporters “we’re going to walk down to the Capitol” and we “fight like hell,” a comment he made in a different part of his speech. Trump had in fact said supporters would “cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women.”

The edit was made public after the Daily Telegraph published a leaked internal BBC report.

The report, written by an independent adviser, contained wider criticism of the BBC’s news output, including assertions of anti-Israel bias at BBC Arabic and a lack of balance in stories about trans issues, and led to the resignation of the director-general Tim Davie and head of news Deborah Turness.

NO US BROADCAST

Trump’s lawyers said the edit caused the president “overwhelming reputational and financial harm,” according to a letter seen by Reuters.

They said they would sue in Florida, rather than in Britain, where the one-year limit to file a defamation case has expired.

Trump will face a tougher legal standard in the United States given the protection of freedom of speech in the constitution, lawyers have said.

The BBC is likely to argue that the program was not broadcast and was not available on its streaming service in the US, so voters in Florida could not have seen it.

The BBC, which is funded by a mandatory levy on TV-watching households, is also widely expected to challenge the reputational harm claim on grounds that Trump went on to win the election, and say the edit was not done in malice.


Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tucker Carlson claims he was detained at Israeli airport

DUBAI: Earlier this week, Tucker Carlson flew to Israel to interview US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, according to media reports.

Carlson, who reportedly refused to leave Tel Aviv’s Ben Gurion Airport complex, conducted the interview at the airport, after which he said he and his staff were detained and their passports were seized.

“Men who identified themselves as airport security took our passports, hauled our executive producer into a side room and then demanded to know what we spoke to Ambassador Huckabee about,” Carlson said in a statement to The New York Post.

However, Carlson’s claims have been contradicted by Huckabee and Israeli authorities.

Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and Fox News host, said on social media platform X that “EVERYONE who comes in/out of Israel (every country for that matter) has passports checked & routinely asked security questions,” including himself, despite holding a diplomatic passport and visa.

The US Embassy in Israel also described the interaction as routine passport control procedures.

The Israel Airports Authority said in a statement that Carlson and his staff “were not detained, delayed, or interrogated.”

They were asked “a few routine questions, in accordance with standard procedures applied to many travelers,” and this conversation took place in a separate room within the VIP lounge to protect their privacy, the statement added.

“No unusual incident occurred, and the Israel Airports Authority firmly rejects any other claims.”

Carlson has faced criticism in recent years over his commentary on Israel, with critics accusing him of amplifying narratives that are hostile to Israel and, at times, antisemitic. He has also questioned Israel’s treatment of Christian communities in the region.

After Fox News canceled his show in April 2023, he launched his own program, “The Tucker Carlson Show” in 2024.

The show has featured controversial figures, including Darryl Cooper, who has made statements widely condemned as Holocaust denial, and white nationalist commentator Nick Fuentes.

In his interview with Fuentes, Carlson labeled Huckabee a “Christian Zionist.”

Carlson has also criticized Huckabee for not doing enough to protect Christian interests in the region. In one video, he said: “Why not go ahead and talk to Christians and find out their side of the story? Why aren’t American Christian leaders like Mike Huckabee or Ted Cruz, people who invoke the Christian Bible to justify what they’re doing, why haven’t they done this?”

Huckabee responded to the video on X, writing: “Instead of talking ABOUT me, why don’t you come talk TO me?  You seem to be generating a lot of heat about the Middle East. Why be afraid of the light?”

Carlson accepted the invitation, and their teams coordinated the interview, leading to his brief visit to Israel.