Brazil coach Ancelotti puts premium on defense

Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti speaks to players during training. (Action Images/ Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 14 November 2025
Follow

Brazil coach Ancelotti puts premium on defense

  • The 3-2 defeat by Japan last month served as a wake-up call for AncelottI

LONDON: Carlo Ancelotti may still be wrestling with Portuguese but the Italian is increasingly comfortable in his role as Brazil coach as he prepares to field an experimental defensive lineup in a friendly with Senegal at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium on Saturday.

Nearly six months into his tenure, the ex-Real Madrid boss is adapting to a radically different routine from his club days, swapping daily training sessions for more periodic work as he builds toward the 2026 World Cup in Canada, Mexico and the US.

The 3-2 defeat by Japan last month served as a wake-up call for Ancelotti, whose side prior to the Japanese fighback in Tokyo had conceded one goal in his first five matches.

That defensive collapse when leading 2-0 at halftime has prompted tactical soul-searching, with Real Madrid centerback Eder Militao set to start at rightback against Senegal as the coach continues to search for reliable fullbacks.

 Solid defense helps quality players

“The defense was a key part in Brazil’s last (World Cup) victories,” Ancelotti said, drawing inspiration from the country’s 1994 and 2002 World Cup triumphs.

“(A) team with fantastic individuality, who enjoyed the game but knew how not to get exposed ... I remember 1994, a team with two defensive midfielders, very tight at the back and with Bebeto and Romario (up front) to make the difference.

“That’s what I think for the World Cup. A solid defense helps quality players make the difference.

“Militao has a different profile from other rightbacks. I’m going to ask for something different in terms of quality and style of play,” he added.

“It’s an option we can use in the World Cup to give the team more solidity at the back, but we conceded three goals against Japan, we’ve assessed our mistakes and we’ll try to improve in that area to play a good game.”

The adjustment to international football has required patience from a coach accustomed to daily interaction with his players.

“For me, it’s a good experience. When I arrived, it was to prepare for the two World Cup qualifiers (against Ecuador and Paraguay), and then I had some adjustments to make,” he said, with a 1-0 win over Paraguay clinching a place at the finals.

“I’m not used to working from time to time. I used to work every day, and now it’s different. The work of scouting players was the most difficult to adapt to but I’m enjoying (it).”

Ancelotti settled in Rio

Despite the challenges, Ancelotti appears energized by his new environment at his new home in Rio de Janeiro.

“It’s very good for me, it’s a different job and one of observation, which has been very good. I have the opportunity to work in a very good environment, get to know another country. Brazil is fantastic and the reception has been spectacular.”

Saturday’s match presents a curious historical footnote – Senegal are one of only two teams Brazil have faced but never beaten, alongside Norway.

The Selecao’s record against the African nation stands at a draw in 2019 and defeat in 2023, meaning Ancelotti’s seventh game in charge offers a chance to settle unfinished business.


Australia, Ireland out of T20 World Cup as Zimbabwe qualify after washout

Updated 9 sec ago
Follow

Australia, Ireland out of T20 World Cup as Zimbabwe qualify after washout

  • Zimbabwe will move on to face the West Indies, India and South Africa in the next phase
  • Zimbabwe captain Skiander Raza hails side’s achievement, but warns of tougher battles

KANDY, Sri Lanka: The 2021 champions Australia were knocked out of the T20 World Cup on Tuesday, with Zimbabwe qualifying for the Super Eights after their match against Ireland was washed out without a ball being bowled in Kandy.

Zimbabwe joined Sri Lanka as qualifiers from Group B and will move on to face the West Indies, India and South Africa in the next phase. Ireland were also eliminated.

Persistent drizzle all day at the Pallekelle stadium kept the covers on and the umpires finally called it off at 5:30 p.m. local time (1200 GMT) with no prospect of beginning the minimum five-over match before the 6:10 p.m. cut-off time.

Australia, who had been beaten by Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe, needed an Ireland victory to keep their hopes alive.

Zimbabwe are now on an unassailable five points with a game to still to come, while Ireland are third on three points.

Australia, on two points, have one game remaining against Oman on Friday, but cannot overtake Zimbabwe.

Australia had a shambolic build-up to the tournament

They lost leading pace bowlers Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood to injury, while captain Mitchell Marsh missed the first two games after being hit in the groin in training and suffering testicular bleeding

Test great Steve Smith was left out despite being in terrific form top of the order in the Big Bash League and his expertise in playing against spin bowling.

COLOURFUL FANS

He flew in as cover last week and was formally added to the Australia squad at the weekend.

But then he was left out for the must-win game against Sri Lanka on Monday which saw an Australia middle-order collapse as they lost by eight wickets.

Zimbabwe captain Skiander Raza hailed his side’s achievement in reaching the last eight, but warned there were tougher battles to come.

“We have come this far. We will celebrate but we have a game against Sri Lanka to come,” said Raza.

“This is only a tick in the box and this is not the only thing that we set out for. Everyone loves an underdog story.”

Ireland skipper Lorcan Tucker was downcast after his side did not get to play.

“Obviously very disappointed to go out in this fashion, but completely uncontrollable,” said Tucker.

“Our batting failed. There were big moments in the tournament particularly against Sri Lanka when we dropped so many catches.

“Hopefully, we will handle these tough situations differently moving forward.”

The rain did not dampen the spirits of a hearty and colorful band of about two dozen Zimbabwe fans, who danced and sang throughout the damp afternoon to serenade their team’s qualification.

“I can tell you, whichever corner they’re sitting at, at any ground, they’ll be the loudest, and they have the songs,” said Raza of the fans.

“They just keep the vibe. They keep lifting us up when their energies are down — and in this weather, it can be sometimes.

“But when we hear them to push us on and we know the songs as well, it gives us that energy as well.”