Ukraine, China mineral dominance on agenda as G7 meets

A television camera is pointed at a podium ahead of the G7 foreign ministers’ meeting in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada, Nov. 11, 2025. (REUTERS/Carlos Osorio)
Short Url
Updated 11 November 2025
Follow

Ukraine, China mineral dominance on agenda as G7 meets

  • There will also be discussions on Sudan, gripped by a war since April 2023
  • China’s dominance of critical mineral supply chains is a growing area of concern for the G7

NIAGRA-ON-THE-LAKE: G7 foreign ministers were gathering in Canada on Tuesday for talks expected to focus on Ukraine, as the club of industrialized democracies seeks a path toward ending the four-year-old conflict.
Options to fund Kyiv’s war needs against invasion by Russia could feature prominently at the talks in Canada’s Niagara region on the US border.
The diplomats are meeting after US President Donald Trump slapped sanctions on Moscow’s two largest oil companies in October, slamming Russian President Vladimir Putin over his refusal to end the conflict.
Trump has also pushed other European countries to stop buying oil that he says funds Moscow’s war machine.
Ukraine is enduring devastating Russian attacks on its energy infrastructure, but Canadian Foreign Minister Anita Anand stopped short of promising concrete outcomes to aid Kyiv at the Niagara talks.
She told AFP a priority for the meeting was broadening discussion beyond the Group of Seven, which includes Britain, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the United States.
“For Canada, it is important to foster a multilateral conversation, especially now, in such a volatile and complicated environment,” Anand said.
Representatives from Saudi Arabia, India, Brazil, Australia, South Africa, Mexico and South Korea will also be at the meeting held a short drive from the iconic Niagara Falls.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio will hold bilateral talks with Anand on Wednesday, the second and final day of the G7 meeting.
Anand said she did not expect to press the issue of Trump’s trade war, which has forced Canadian job losses and squeezed economic growth.
“We will have a meeting and have many topics to discuss concerning global affairs,” Anand told AFP.
“The trade issue is being dealt with by other ministers.”
Trump abruptly ended trade talks with Canada last month — just after an apparently cordial White House meeting with Prime Minister Mark Carney.
The president has voiced fury over an ad, produced by Ontario’s provincial government, which quoted former US president Ronald Reagan on the harm caused by tariffs.

- Sudan, Critical minerals -

Italy’s foreign ministry said there will also be discussions on Sudan, gripped by a war since April 2023 that has created one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.
Delivering aid to the war-ravaged African country will be a focus of the talks, which come hours after UN humanitarian coordinator Tom Fletcher met with Sudan’s army chief Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan on getting life-saving supplies to civilians.
The G7’s top diplomats are meeting two weeks after the grouping’s energy secretaries agreed on steps to counter China’s dominance of critical mineral supply chains, a growing area of concern for the world’s industrialized democracies.
Beijing has established commanding market control over the refining and processing of various minerals — especially the rare earth materials needed for the magnets that power sophisticated technologies.
The G7 announced an initial series of joint projects last month to ramp up refining capacity that excludes China.
While the United States was not party to any of those initial deals, the Trump administration has signaled alignment with its G7 partners.
A State Department official told reporters ahead of the Niagara meet that critical mineral supply chains would be “a major point of focus.”
“There’s a growing global consensus among a lot of our partners and allies that economic security is national security,” the official said.


Attacks on Sudan health care facilities killed 69 this year: WHO

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Attacks on Sudan health care facilities killed 69 this year: WHO

  • “Five attacks on health care have already been recorded in Sudan, killing 69 people and injuring 49,” WHO chief wrote on X
  • The WHO has confirmed at least 206 attacks on health care facilities since the start of the war

CAIRO: Five attacks on health care facilities have killed dozens of people in Sudan since the beginning of the year, the WHO said Saturday, as the war nears the start of its fourth year.
The fighting between Sudan’s army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces has dismantled an already fragile medical system, with more than a third of facilities currently out of service.
“During the first 50 days of 2026, five attacks on health care have already been recorded in Sudan, killing 69 people and injuring 49,” WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus wrote on X.
On Sunday a hospital was targeted in the southeastern state of Sennar, leaving three patients dead and seven people wounded, including an employee, Tedros said.
In three other attacks early this month, more than 30 people were killed when medical centers were targeted in South Kordofan, a vast region south of the capital Khartoum that is currently a focus of the fighting.
The WHO has confirmed at least 206 attacks on health care facilities since the start of the war in April 2023, resulting in the deaths of around 2,000 people and injuries to several hundred.
Last year alone, 65 attacks killed more than 1,620 people, accounting for 80 percent of all deaths worldwide linked to attacks on the medical sector, according to the WHO.
Since it broke out, Sudan’s civil war has killed tens of thousands of people and forced 11 million to flee their homes, triggering what the UN says is one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.
According to the WHO, the country is facing multiple disease outbreaks, notably cholera, malaria, dengue and measles, in addition to malnutrition.
Some 4.2 million cases of acute malnutrition are expected to arise in Sudan this year, including more than 800,000 cases of severe acute malnutrition, the WHO chief said earlier this month.
Around 33 million people will be left without humanitarian aid in 2026, with the United Nations warning in January that its aid stocks could run out by the end of March.