Yamal released from Spain squad after medical treatment

Lamine Yamal was released from Spain's squad on Tuesday for their World Cup qualifiers against Georgia and Turkey after treatment on a groin injury, prompting criticism from the Spanish football federation (RFEF). (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 11 November 2025
Follow

Yamal released from Spain squad after medical treatment

  • The 18-year-old Barcelona winger had a radiofrequency operation on Monday
  • Spain manager Luis de la Fuente described the situation as something he had not come across previously

BARCELONA: Lamine Yamal was released from Spain’s squad on Tuesday for their World Cup qualifiers against Georgia and Turkiye after treatment on a groin injury, prompting criticism from the Spanish football federation (RFEF).
The 18-year-old Barcelona winger, who has missed five matches for his LaLiga club due to the issue, had a radiofrequency operation on Monday as Spain’s training camp began, RFEF said.
“This procedure was performed without prior notification to the national team’s medical staff, who only learned of the details through a report received at 10:40 p.m. last night, which indicated a medical recommendation for rest for 7-10 days,” RFEF said in a statement.
“In view of this situation, and prioritising the player’s health, safety and well-being at all times, the Royal Spanish Football Federation has taken the decision to release the player from the current squad.”
Spain manager Luis de la Fuente described the situation as something he had not come across previously.
“The thing is, these things happen outside the federation, that’s how it is, that’s how it happens, you have to accept it ...,” De la Fuente told Radio Nacional de Espana (RNE). “I don’t think it’s very normal.
“Of course (surprised), like everyone else, you don’t know, you haven’t heard anything, you don’t know any details, and then they tell you, I insist, and on top of that, there’s the health issue, so you’re surprised.”
Yamal, capped 23 times, has netted six goals and contributed six assists in 11 matches this season for Barcelona.
Spain top Group E with 12 points from four matches, scoring 15 goals and conceding none.
They face Georgia on Saturday in Tbilisi before hosting Turkiye on Tuesday in Seville.
Spain will qualify for the finals if they defeat Georgia and Turkiye do not beat Bulgaria or if they draw and Turkiye lose.


Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils

  • The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final
  • Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points

DOHA: World number one Carlos Alcaraz continued his unbeaten run in 2026 as he beat defending champion Andrey Rublev 7-6(3) 6-4 on Friday to reach the Qatar Open final, reaching the 12th summit clash in his last 13 tournaments.
The Spaniard will face France’s Arthur Fils in Saturday’s final after the 21-year-old beat Czech Jakub Mensik 6-4 7-6(4) in the second semifinal.
Russian Rublev fought back from 3-0 down to level the second set and then saved five match points, but Alcaraz ultimately prevailed to win his 11th straight match of the season.
“I know what I’m able to do every time that I step on court. For me it’s great. Obviously, the way I’m approaching ⁠every match, I’m ⁠just really proud about it,” said 22-year-old Alcaraz, who has been a finalist at the last four Grand Slams, winning three of them.
“It’s paying off, all the focus and attention. I’m just happy and proud about myself with how I’m getting better and getting mature I guess.”
Rublev made 14 unforced backhand errors in the first set, but outwitted Alcaraz with precise forehands ⁠that nicked the baseline as both players broke the other twice each to go into a tiebreak.
Alcaraz held his nerve to go 6-3 up in the tiebreak as a frustrated Rublev repeatedly smashed the racket on his left knee, breaking a string. Seven-time Grand Slam winner Alcaraz then pretended to slice but landed a forehand down the sideline to win the first set.
Alcaraz broke Rublev twice to go 5-3 up in the second set and was serving for the match when the world number 14 saved three match points to break back.
But Alcaraz pushed to break again for ⁠victory in ⁠the next game, and finally converted his sixth match point when Rublev’s backhand landed wide.
Fils reached his fifth career final with a commanding victory over world number 16 Mensik in just over 90 minutes. The Frenchman — who suffered a lower back stress fracture during the 2025 French Open that led to eight months out of the game — committed fewer unforced errors in an otherwise even match, while saving seven of eight break points and converting two of five.
“Eight months without playing, watching others and staying in bed. It was a long and difficult ordeal. But today, the comeback is all the more sweet. It means a lot to me to be in the final,” said Fils.