Nigeria’s army chief promises to step up anti-terror operations

Nigerian soldiers walks past military tanks prepared for deployment during a tour of the Theatre Command Operation Lafiya Dole by Nigeria's Chief of Army Staff at Maimalari Cantonment in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria, on November 7, 2025. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 08 November 2025
Follow

Nigeria’s army chief promises to step up anti-terror operations

  • Failure was “not an option” as the military enters a critical phase of the decade-long conflict, says military chief
  • Last week, US President Trump threatened military action on Nigeria over alleged discrimibnationagainst Christians

 

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria: Nigeria’s new army chief promised to increase operations against “terrorists” in the country’s north on Friday, less than a week after US President Donald Trump threatened US military involvement if Nigeria did not stop attacks on Christians in the country.

Chief of Army Staff Lt. Gen. Waidi Shaibu, speaking to troops in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State, northeast Nigeria, emphasized that the new push must succeed. Failure was “not an option” as the military enters a critical phase of the decade-long conflict, he said.
“You have been training to defeat the terrorists... This time, you are going to do it differently,” Shaibu told the assembled troops. “All combat enablers have been provided. New platforms have been introduced, all to ensure that you succeed.”
On Nov. 1, Trump threatened to end all aid and assistance to Nigeria and “wipe out the Islamic Terrorists” in the country.
Nigeria’s President Bola Ahmed Tinubu pushed back on Trump’s announcement that he was designating Nigeria as “a country of particular concern” for allegedly failing to rein in the persecution of Christians.
Experts say Trump’s comments are a mischaracterization of the conflict.
Nigeria’s population of 220 million is split almost equally between Christians and Muslims. The country has long faced insecurity from various fronts. This includes the Boko Haram extremist group, which seeks to establish its radical interpretation of Islamic law and has also targeted Muslims it deems not Muslim enough.
Attacks in Nigeria have varying motives. There are religiously motivated ones targeting both Christians and Muslims, clashes between farmers and herders over dwindling resources, communal rivalries, secessionist groups and ethnic clashes.
While Christians are among those targeted, analysts say the majority of victims of armed groups are Muslims in Nigeria’s Muslim-majority north, where most attacks occur.

 


North Macedonia police arrest man accused of planning mass murder

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

North Macedonia police arrest man accused of planning mass murder

  • Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012
  • Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje

SKOPJE: A 20-year-old man was arrested in North Macedonia suspected of planning a mass murder, authorities said on Friday, after being tipped off by US intelligence.
Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012, when a 20-year-old man killed 26 people including 20 children at a school in Connecticut.
FBI investigators spotted threats on the social app Discord in late January and informed the US embassy in Skopje which contacted the local authorities, police said in a statement.
“The suspect sent a serious threat that he was ready to carry out an attack with a firearm — an AK-47 automatic rifle... while saying that he had impaired mental health,” it said.
Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje, and arrested two people.
The police said the suspect was charged with terrorism, while another, aged 89, was charged with weapons and explosives offenses. Media reported that the second suspect was the young man’s grandfather.
During searches officers seized various firearms, state prosecutors said in a statement.
The police said the weapons included an AK-47, two handguns and hundreds of pieces of ammunition plus body armor, knives and electronics.
The prosecutors’ office said the suspect was remanded in custody for a month.