Germany offers money to Afghans to forgo refugee scheme

Afghan nationals walk past German policemen to board a bus after they landed at the airport in Hannover-Langenhagen, northwestern Germany, on September 1, 2025. (AFP/ file)
Short Url
Updated 05 November 2025
Follow

Germany offers money to Afghans to forgo refugee scheme

  • Afghans were accepted under refugee scheme set up by previous German government
  • Around 2,000 stuck in Pakistan since new conservative government froze the program

Berlin is offering cash to Afghan refugees in Pakistan if they agree to give up their places on a programme for resettlement in Germany, activists said Tuesday.

The Afghans were accepted under a refugee scheme set up by the previous German government but around 2,000 have been stuck in Pakistan since conservative Chancellor Friedrich Merz took office in May and froze the programme.

According to the initiative Airbridge Kabul, refugees have been sent a letter offering them money and other support in return for exiting the resettlement programme.

In the case of a single woman, the payments would be an initial 1,500 euros (about $1,700) in Pakistan and a further 5,000 euro payment if she travels to Afghanistan or a third country.

A spokeswoman for the interior ministry told AFP that "there are offers within the framework of a voluntary return programme to Afghanistan or departure to another third country".

The German scheme was aimed at Afghans who had worked with German forces in Afghanistan or who were deemed at particular risk from the Taliban, for example journalists, lawyers and human rights activists.

Eva Beyer from Airbridge Kabul said she was not aware of any refugees in the scheme who planned to accept the German government's latest offer and that many had reacted with shock and outrage.

"I've been trembling all over and can't stop crying," read one message from a refugee which Beyer shared with AFP. "I don't want money or bread, I just want to live in safety."

Pakistani authorities have in recent months intensified a crackdown on Afghans living in the country without residency.

Over the summer, more than 200 Afghans who were enrolled in the German programme were deported to Afghanistan.

In September, a German foreign ministry spokeswoman said that "an understanding" had been reached with Pakistan that no further arrests or deportations of those in the programme would take place until the end of the year.

However, according to Airbridge Kabul, there were 17 arrests in late October and the situation for Afghans in Pakistan was aggravated by the military clashes between the two countries last month.

The initiative says that the latest letter to the refugees admits that "the procedures in Pakistan must be fully completed by the end of 2025" but adds that "unfortunately, it cannot be guaranteed that all procedures will be completed in time".

Several groups of Afghans in the resettlement programme have been able to come to Germany after taking the government to court, with a group of 14 arriving last Thursday.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.