Thousands evacuated as typhoon bears down on Philippines

Philippine coast guard personnel assist in evacuating residents in Guiuan town, Eastern Samar province ahead of the landfall of Typhoon Kalmaegi on Nov. 3, 2025. (Philippine Coast Guard/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 03 November 2025
Follow

Thousands evacuated as typhoon bears down on Philippines

  • Typhoon Kalmaegi is on a collision course with Leyte island, bringing 120-kilometer per hour winds and gusts of up to 150 kph

MANIILA: Thousands were evacuated in coastal provinces of the Philippines on Monday, ahead of a typhoon due to make landfall in a region hit by some of the country’s deadliest storms.
Typhoon Kalmaegi is on a collision course with Leyte island, bringing 120-kilometer (75-mile) per hour winds and gusts of up to 150 kph, according to the national weather service.
“Evacuations are ongoing in Palo and Tanauan,” said Leyte disaster official Roel Montesa, naming two of the towns hardest hit by storm surges in 2013, when Super Typhoon Haiyan killed more than 6,000 people.
Thousands of residents have also been evacuated since Sunday on neighboring Samar island, where three-meter (10-foot) surges are predicted, according to civil defense official Randy Nicart.
“Some local governments are resorting to forced evacuations, including Guiuan town, where the storm is likely to make landfall,” he said.
The Philippines is hit by an average of 20 storms and typhoons each year, routinely striking disaster-prone areas where millions live in poverty.
With Kalmaegi, the archipelago country has already reached that average, state weather service specialist Charmaine Varilla said, adding that at least “three to five more” storms could be expected by December’s end.
Just south of Leyte, in Dinagat Islands province, governor Nilo Demerey said 10,000 to 15,000 people had been pre-emptively moved to safer areas.
“We have been implementing preemptive evacuations for the past two days, while there is time,” he said.
Disaster official Joy Conales said residents of Dinagat’s Loreto town were told to evacuate to higher ground.
The town has a one-story-tall “wave breaker” dike intended to protect its center from big waves.
Scientists warn that storms are becoming more powerful due to human-driven climate change.
Varilla said Tuesday that higher numbers of cyclones typically accompany La Nina, a naturally occurring climate pattern that cools surface temperatures in the central and eastern equatorial Pacific Ocean.
The Philippines was hit by two major storms in September, including Super Typhoon Ragasa, which toppled trees and tore the roofs off buildings, and killed 14 people in neighboring Taiwan.


Serbia, Sweden urge citizens to quit Iran as Trump mulls strike

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Serbia, Sweden urge citizens to quit Iran as Trump mulls strike

  • Sweden’s Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard noted on X her “strong appeal addressed to Swedish citizens who are in Iran to leave”

BELGRADE: Serbia and Sweden have urged their citizens in Iran to leave the country after US President Donald Trump threatened military action over the Islamic republic’s nuclear program.
The Balkan nation had already invited Serbian nationals in mid-January to leave Iran and not to travel there, as the country’s clerical authorities launched a bloody crackdown on a mass protest movement.
“Due to the deteriorating security situation, citizens of the Republic of Serbia are not recommended to travel to Iran in the coming period,” the foreign ministry said in a statement on its website published overnight Friday to Saturday.
“All those who are in Iran are recommended to leave the country as soon as possible.”
Separately, Sweden’s Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard noted on X her “strong appeal addressed to Swedish citizens who are in Iran to leave.”
Iran said on Friday that it was hoping for a quick deal with the United States on Tehran’s nuclear program, long a source of discord between the two foes.
But Trump, after ordering a major naval build-up in the Middle East aimed at heaping pressure on Tehran, said on Friday that he was “considering” a limited military strike if the negotiations proved unfruitful.