Kenyan landslide death toll rises to 26 as flash floods hamper search for survivors

Kenya’s Interior Minister Kipchumba Murkomen said 25 people are still missing and that the government had intensified the search mission, with the death toll now rising to 26. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 03 November 2025
Follow

Kenyan landslide death toll rises to 26 as flash floods hamper search for survivors

  • Heavy rains continue across Kenya, and floods have been reported in several counties
  • The government has urged those living in flood or landslide prone areas to move

NAIROBI: The death toll from a deadly landslide in western Kenya has risen to 26 after four more bodies were retrieved on Sunday, shortly before rescue efforts to find survivors were suspended due to a flash flood.
Interior Minister Kipchumba Murkomen said 25 people are still missing and that the government had intensified the search mission, with the military deploying four aircrafts to help teams access the area that has been completely cut off after roads were washed away during Saturday’s landslide.
On Sunday, search teams had to abandon the site after flash floods from a hill in the Chesongoch area in Kenya’s Rift Valley region.
Heavy rains continue across Kenya, and floods have been reported in several counties, displacing thousands of people.
The government has urged those living in flood or landslide prone areas to move, as the rains are expected to continue across the country.
Murkomen said the government would continue airlifting supplies to those affected, including to 15 schools that have been cut off, and that ongoing national examination papers would be airlifted to candidates.
He said the government would cover the medical bills of more than 30 injured people and resettle dozens of others whose homes were swept away.
“It is very sad that families have lost five to six immediate family members,” the minister told journalists on Sunday.
Oscar Okum, regional manager for the Kenya Red Cross, said the Rift Valley area was still susceptible to land slides.
“Today, while we were doing search and recovery and rescue, we have had roads that are already opened being populated again by mudslides. So it’s still an active incidence and we urge the community members to move to safer grounds for purposes of their safety, lives and livelihoods as well,” he said.


Serbia, Sweden urge citizens to quit Iran as Trump mulls strike

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Serbia, Sweden urge citizens to quit Iran as Trump mulls strike

  • Sweden’s Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard noted on X her “strong appeal addressed to Swedish citizens who are in Iran to leave”

BELGRADE: Serbia and Sweden have urged their citizens in Iran to leave the country after US President Donald Trump threatened military action over the Islamic republic’s nuclear program.
The Balkan nation had already invited Serbian nationals in mid-January to leave Iran and not to travel there, as the country’s clerical authorities launched a bloody crackdown on a mass protest movement.
“Due to the deteriorating security situation, citizens of the Republic of Serbia are not recommended to travel to Iran in the coming period,” the foreign ministry said in a statement on its website published overnight Friday to Saturday.
“All those who are in Iran are recommended to leave the country as soon as possible.”
Separately, Sweden’s Foreign Minister Maria Malmer Stenergard noted on X her “strong appeal addressed to Swedish citizens who are in Iran to leave.”
Iran said on Friday that it was hoping for a quick deal with the United States on Tehran’s nuclear program, long a source of discord between the two foes.
But Trump, after ordering a major naval build-up in the Middle East aimed at heaping pressure on Tehran, said on Friday that he was “considering” a limited military strike if the negotiations proved unfruitful.