NZ great Williamson retires from T20 internationals

New Zealand's Kane Williamson in action in a semi final match between South Africa v New Zealand at Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, Pakistan on March 5, 2025. (REUTERS/File)
Short Url
Updated 02 November 2025
Follow

NZ great Williamson retires from T20 internationals

  • Kane Williamson scored 2,575 runs from 93 T20Is, including 18 half-centuries 
  • Says retirement will give New Zealand “clarity” ahead of new year’s World Cup

WELLINGTON: New Zealand batting great Kane Williamson announced his retirement from Twenty20 internationals on Sunday, saying the team needed “clarity” ahead of next year’s World Cup.

Williamson will depart the shortest format as his country’s second-highest run-scorer, tallying 2,575 runs from 93 matches, including 18 half-centuries, at an average of 33.4.

He captained New Zealand to the final of the 2021 T20 World Cup — where he scored 85 in a losing cause against Australia — and to semifinal appearances in 2016 and 2022.

Williamson relinquished the captaincy in both white ball formats when signing a “casual” contract with NZ Cricket, allowing him to pick and choose his availability.

Last week the 35-year-old confirmed he would be cutting back on his international commitments to focus more time on his young family and playing in professional white ball leagues.

“It’s the right time for myself and the team. It gives the team clarity for the series moving forward and ahead of their next major focus which is the T20 World Cup,” Williamson said in a statement.

“There’s so much T20 talent there and the next period will be important to get cricket into these guys and get them ready for the World Cup.”

Williamson will miss the home T20 series against the West Indies starting on Wednesday and has also made himself unavailable for the subsequent ODI series.

However, he will be available for three Tests against the tourists in December, where he will look to add to his New Zealand-record 9276 runs in the longest format.

New Zealand Cricket chief executive Scott Weenink said Williamson had earned the right to determine how he plays out the rest of his international career.

“We’ve made it clear to Kane he has our full support as he reaches the back end of his illustrious career,” Weenink said.

“We would, of course, love to see him play for as long as possible, but there’s no doubt whenever he does decide to finally call time, he will go down as a legend of New Zealand cricket.”


Andreeva, Bencic receive walkovers in Dubai

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Andreeva, Bencic receive walkovers in Dubai

  • Mirra Andreeva and Belinda Bencic were both beneficiaries of second-round walkovers at the WTA 1000 event in Dubai on Tuesday, as Jessica Pegula also reached the last 16

DUBAI: Mirra Andreeva and Belinda Bencic were both beneficiaries of second-round walkovers at the WTA 1000 event in Dubai on Tuesday, as Jessica Pegula also reached the last 16.
Russian teenager Andreeva, who received a first-round bye, will face either German Ella Seidel or Romanian Jaqueline Cristian for a quarter-final place after Daria Kasatkina pulled out with a hip injury.
In-form Czech youngster Sara Beljek, who won a title in Abu Dhabi earlier this month, also withdrew with an abdominal injury, handing Bencic a spot in round three.
American fourth seed Pegula cruised through with a 6-4, 6-0 thrashing of Varvara Grachev and will next play compatriot Iva Jovic.
The tournament in Dubai, one of the 10 WTA 1000 competitions, has been severely hit by the withdrawals of world number one Aryna Sabalenka and six-time Grand Slam champion Iga Swiatek.
Second seed Amanda Anisimova had also been given a walkover on Monday after her second-round opponent Barbora Krejcikova pulled out.
Later Tuesday, American Coco Gauff starts her campaign against Russian Anna Kalinskaya.