Pakistan reopens key border crossing for return of Afghan refugees after deadly clashes

People wait near the closed gate at the Spin Boldak border crossing with Pakistan, after the border was shut for nearly two weeks following clashes between Afghan and Pakistani forces, in Kandahar province, Afghanistan, on October 23, 2025. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 01 November 2025
Follow

Pakistan reopens key border crossing for return of Afghan refugees after deadly clashes

  • Pakistan, Afghanistan engaged in fierce fighting on Oct. 11 after Islamabad hit Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan-affiliated targets in Afghanistan
  • Around 3,000 containers have been stuck on both sides of Torkham and Chaman border crossings since Oct. 11, according to Joint Chamber of Commerce

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Saturday reopened the Torkham border crossing in its northwest for the return of Afghan refugees, local administration said, though trade between the two countries remains suspended through the border terminal since last month’s deadly clashes.

Pakistan and Afghanistan engaged in fierce fighting on Oct. 11 after Islamabad hit Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan-affiliated targets in airstrikes in Afghanistan. Afghanistan said the attacks were a violation of its sovereignty.

The clashes caused border closures between Pakistan and Afghanistan at Torkham in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and Chaman in the southwestern Balochistan province, effectively halting trade and the movement of people between the two countries.

However, authorities reopened the Torkham border crossing for the voluntary return of Afghan refugees to their country for a day on Saturday, according to Mohammad Anas, a spokesman for the deputy commissioner in Pakistan’s Khyber district.

“Afghan refugees are present at Torkham and efforts will be made today to ensure the voluntary return of all refugees,” he told The Independent’s Urdu service.

In its report last month, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said that more than 1.6 million Afghan refugees living in Pakistan have returned to Afghanistan.

Pakistan had decided in 2023 to deport refugees who did not have the necessary documents. Later, it decided that Afghan nationals with Proof of Registration (POR) cards or Afghan Citizen Cards will also be deported to Afghanistan. Around 75 percent of those returning from Pakistan were refugees who did not have travel documents, the report said.

A statement issued by the information department of Afghanistan’s Nangarhar province, which is adjacent to Torkham, said the border has been reopened for refugees on Saturday only.

The border will be closed for other commercial traffic and passengers, it added.

Pakistan is a key exporter of goods, mainly fresh fruits, rice, flour and other edible items to Afghanistan, while it imports dry fruits and other scrap material from the country.

According to officials of the Pakistan-Afghanistan Joint Chamber of Commerce, around 3,000 containers have been stuck on both sides of Torkham and Chaman crossings, containing various goods.

Zabihullah Mujahid, the Afghan government spokesperson, this week told Khyber News that there are also Pakistani containers on the Afghan side that are loaded with goods brought from Central Asia.

“Politics and trade should be kept separate because this is causing financial losses to traders on both sides of the border and the goods in the containers are getting spoiled,” he was quoted as saying.

Islamabad has repeatedly accused the administration in Kabul of failing to take action against militant outfits such as the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and the separatist Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA), which it alleges carry out attacks targeting Pakistan from Afghan soil. Kabul denies the allegations.

These attacks have caused repeated clashes between Pakistani and Afghan border forces, triggering frequent border closures. Both countries agreed to a ceasefire in Doha on Oct. 19 which was extended on Thursday. Officials from the two countries are due to meet in Istanbul on Nov. 6 to firm up the truce and finalize a mechanism to keep militancy along their 2,600-kilometer porous border in check.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”