French court jails Bulgarians for up to four years for Holocaust memorial defacement

Four Bulgarian nationals were sentenced on October 31, 2025 to prison terms of two to four years, found guilty of tagging “red hands” on the Holocaust Memorial in May 2024. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 31 October 2025
Follow

French court jails Bulgarians for up to four years for Holocaust memorial defacement

  • All four were also banned from entering French territory for life
  • The four defendants were not tried for acting on behalf of a foreign power

PARIS: A French court on Friday sentenced four Bulgarians to between two and four years in prison for desecrating a Jewish memorial with red handprints last year, in what prosecutors think may have been foreign interference linked to Russia.
The Paris Criminal Court handed down two-year sentences to Georgi Filipov and Kiril Milushev, described as the perpetrators, and four and three years respectively to Nikolay Ivanov and Mircho Angelov, considered the operation’s “masterminds.” Angelov is still at large.
All four were also banned from entering French territory for life.
The trial was the first of its kind in France, one of a series of similar cases suspected of having been orchestrated by a foreign power with the aim to destabilize.
The four defendants were not tried for acting on behalf of a foreign power: that aggravating circumstance was only added to France’s criminal code after the incident took place.
However, in their judgment, the judges said foreign interference was “indisputable” and aimed to “stir up public opinion, exploit existing divisions and further fragment French society.”

-’Russian intelligence’-

The vandalism was staged during heightened tensions in France over the war between Israel and Palestinian militant group Hamas that broke out in October 2023.
The wall daubed with red handprints by the perpetrators lists 3,900 people honored for protecting Jews during the Nazi occupation of France in World War II.
Several other red handprints were found in nearby areas of central Paris.
The prosecutor’s office said a security agent had caught two people placing stencils on the memorial.
Investigators identified them with security footage, then discovered that three had caught a bus to Belgium the next morning, then a flight to Bulgaria.
The defendants present were quick to blame their absent accomplice, calling Angelov the “leader,” denying any ideological motivation.
Defendant Georgi Filipov swore he did not realize he was tagging the Wall of the Righteous.
During the trial, he also rejected accusations that his recruitment was related to his apparent neo-Nazi affiliations, including having a swastika tattoo and appearing in social media posts giving Nazi salutes.
He said he’d left that behind — “I’ve made bad choices in the past.”
The Paris prosecutor’s office said the red handprint incident, possibly “orchestrated by Russian intelligence services,” was one of nine such suspected acts of foreign interference.
Other suspicious incidents include Stars of David stencilled in the Paris region in October 2023; coffins bearing the words “French soldiers of Ukraine” left at the foot of the Eiffel Tower in June last year; and in just this September, pigs’ heads left in front of mosques in the Paris region.
Viginum, the French authority monitoring foreign interference online, said the red hand incident had been exploited by “actors linked to Russia” on X.


Five miners trapped deep underground after mudslide hits South African diamond mine

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Five miners trapped deep underground after mudslide hits South African diamond mine

  • The miners have been trapped since the early hours of Tuesday, according to a labor alliance
  • The mine is in the central city of Kimberley, which is renowned for its diamond mines
JOHANNESBURG: Five miners were trapped deep underground at a South African diamond mine after a mudslide flooded a shaft they were working in, mine officials and a labor union said Thursday.
The miners have been trapped since the early hours of Tuesday, according to the Congress of South African Trade Unions — an alliance of labor unions that includes the main mineworkers union. The congress said the miners were thought to be trapped around 800 meters (half a mile) underground.
Ekapa Mining General Manager Howard Marsden, whose company operates the mine, told national broadcaster SABC on Wednesday that rescuers were pumping water out of the shaft while a separate team was trying to drill a hole to where the miners were believed to be trapped to try to establish communication with them “or any proof of life.”
The mine is in the central city of Kimberley, which is renowned for its diamond mines and was at the heart of the global industry after diamonds were discovered in the area in the late 1800s.
The Minerals Council of South Africa said this month in its annual safety report that 41 miners died in mining accidents in South Africa last year, a record low and down from hundreds a year in the 1990s and early 2000s.
South Africa is among the world’s biggest producers of diamonds and gold, and the top producer of platinum.