New Juve manager Spalletti eyes Scudetto

Luciano Spalletti has been hired as Juventus coach after the sacking of Igor Tudor, the Serie A club announced on Oct. 30, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 31 October 2025
Follow

New Juve manager Spalletti eyes Scudetto

  • “Of course, I hope this team can still get involved in the title race,” he said
  • “Only nine matches have been played; there are still 29 left to play. That’s a lot of matches”

ROME: New Juventus manager Luciano Spalletti said on Friday that his seventh-placed team are capable of challenging for the Sere A title.
“Of course, I hope this team can still get involved in the title race,” he said Friday, on the eve of Juve’s game at Cremonese.
Spalletti, who succeeds the sacked Igor Tudor, added: “As we discussed with the players on Thursday, we must aim for the highest.
“And the highest is the Scudetto.
“Only nine matches have been played; there are still 29 left to play. That’s a lot of matches, and I’ve seen many things during my 30-plus years of career.”
Juventus have given Spalletti until the end of the season in the hope that the 66-year-old can secure qualification for next season’s Champions League. His contract runs until June 30.
Should he achieve that Spalletti will be given more time to help put Juve back at the top in Italy after being overtaken by Inter Milan and Napoli in recent seasons.
Spalletti was the man behind Napoli’s historic Serie A title in 2023 and has been one of the country’s most influential coaches over the past two decades, also performing above expectations at Roma and Inter Milan.
He added at his unveiling: “If I didn’t believe in this team, in its potential despite the difficult moments, why would I have agreed to sign an eight-month contract?
“I believe we can do good work, which requires availability, willpower, and self-discipline.”
Five months after his dismissal as Italy coach Spalletti is relishing being back in the Serie A limelight.
“In a club like this, ambitions are obviously high. We must compete in the Champions League.”
He had kind words for the man he placed, Tudor, who was sacked on Monday.
“I’m sure I will be taking over a team that is mentally strong and well-trained,” he said.


Man United’s Jim Ratcliffe reminded of his responsibilities but no FA charge for ‘colonized’ claim

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Man United’s Jim Ratcliffe reminded of his responsibilities but no FA charge for ‘colonized’ claim

  • Football Association will not be charging Ratcliffe over his comments
  • Ratcliffe’s comments touched a nerve in Britain, where immigration is a divisive issue

MANCHESTER: Manchester United co-owner Jim Ratcliffe has been reminded of his “responsibilities as a participant in English football” after he triggered a storm of criticism for claiming Britain had been “colonized” by immigrants.
But England’s Football Association will not be charging Ratcliffe over his comments, which were widely condemned by political figures, including British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, and the club’s supporters.
The governing body issued Ratcliffe with a reminder of his responsibilities when taking part in media interviews, a person with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Friday. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.
British billionaire Ratcliffe, who owns petrochemicals giant INEOS, made the comments during an interview with Sky News, which aired last week.
“You can’t have an economy with 9 million people on benefits and huge levels of immigrants coming in,” he said. “I mean, the UK’s been colonized.”
Ratcliffe’s comments touched a nerve in Britain, where immigration is a divisive issue. He later said he was sorry his choice of language had “offended some people.”
Starmer had earlier called for him to apologize, saying “Britain is a proud, tolerant and diverse country.”
United fans, who are proud of the diversity within the team and their supporter base, also condemned his words.
The Manchester United Supporters Trust said the “senior leadership should make inclusion easier, not harder.”
Critics accused Ratcliffe of “hypocrisy,” saying he has chosen to make his home in Monaco to reduce his UK tax bill.
Carrick proud of Man United’s culture
United’s head coach, Michael Carrick, said earlier Friday that the Premier League club was proud of their culture of equality and diversity.
Carrick, who was recently hired as coach until the end of the season, faced the media for the first time since Ratcliffe’s remarks and he was asked for his response.
“Sir Jim has made a statement, and then the club’s made a statement on the back of it so for me to add to that is not my place,” he said. “What I can say is, as I’ve been around this club many, many years, we always make a huge impact globally.
“We’re really proud of the environment and the culture that we’ve got at the club, and equality and diversity and respect for each other is something that we look to carry through every day.”