3 men jailed for far-right terror plot against mosques and synagogues in UK

(L-R) Brogan Stewart, Christopher Ringrose and Marco Pitzettu have been convicted of planning terror attacks on mosques and synagogues. (Counter Terrorism Policing North East)
Short Url
Updated 17 October 2025
Follow

3 men jailed for far-right terror plot against mosques and synagogues in UK

  • The trio amassed cache of more than 200 weapons, including swords, crossbows and illegal firearm parts
  • Officers arrested them in 2024 when they believed an attack on an Islamic center in Leeds was imminent

LONDON: Three men in the UK have been convicted of planning terror attacks on mosques and synagogues. 

Christopher Ringrose, 34, Marco Pitzettu, 25, and Brogan Stewart, 25, were sentenced at Sheffield Crown Court on Friday. They will serve a combined total of 29 years in prison.

The trio were arrested by counterterrorism police after plotting an attack on an Islamic education center in the city of Leeds in 2024.

Officers found they had amassed a cache of more than 200 weapons, including machetes, swords and crossbows. Ringrose had also made parts for a semi-automatic FGC-9 Mk II firearm using a 3D printer, which was close to being completed.

Prosecutor Jonathan Sandiford KC said the three wanted a race war and adhered to “an extreme right-wing Nazi ideology,” and that the firearm would have been “used to devastating consequences.”

He added that they were actively trying to recruit people and source other weapons to form a militant group using right-wing online communities, with Stewart, the self-appointed leader, telling undercover police officers in a group chat: “I want to get my own group together because action speaks louder than words.”

Officers successfully penetrated the group in January 2024. Later that month, in a group call, they discussed a plan to “cruise around” looking for “human targets” near an Islamic education center in Leeds, “do whatever we do, then back … for tea and medals and a debrief.”

The jury heard they also planned to acquire uniforms and had discussed other targets, including mosques and synagogues. They made plans to “hang out, bring ourselves closer together and just cement that brotherhood” on Feb. 18, having never previously met in person.

Officers detained them on Feb. 20 when they believed the attack was imminent.

Sandiford said the trio decided to attack the center in Leeds with the “intention to commit acts of extremism which involved killing multiple victims.”

Jurors rejected claims that the three were fantasists with no intention of attacking anyone and convicted them of preparing acts of terrorism and of collecting information likely to be useful to a person preparing or committing an act of terrorism. Ringrose was also convicted of manufacturing an illegal weapon.

The presiding judge, Mrs Justice Cutts, said she believed the three still adhered to their far-right ideology.

Stewart, from West Yorkshire, was sentenced to 11 years in jail. Ringrose, from Staffordshire, was sentenced to 10 years. Pitzettu, from Derbyshire, was sentenced to eight years.

The head of Counter Terrorism Policing North East, DCS James Dunkerley, said the three “idolized the Nazi party, they’ve glorified mass murders, and they share a hatred of groups such as the Jewish community and the Muslim community.”

He added: “I genuinely believe had we not taken action, this group could’ve carried out a violent attack and the consequences of that attack could’ve been fatal.”


Attacks on Sudan health care facilities killed 69 this year: WHO

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Attacks on Sudan health care facilities killed 69 this year: WHO

  • “Five attacks on health care have already been recorded in Sudan, killing 69 people and injuring 49,” WHO chief wrote on X
  • The WHO has confirmed at least 206 attacks on health care facilities since the start of the war

CAIRO: Five attacks on health care facilities have killed dozens of people in Sudan since the beginning of the year, the WHO said Saturday, as the war nears the start of its fourth year.
The fighting between Sudan’s army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces has dismantled an already fragile medical system, with more than a third of facilities currently out of service.
“During the first 50 days of 2026, five attacks on health care have already been recorded in Sudan, killing 69 people and injuring 49,” WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus wrote on X.
On Sunday a hospital was targeted in the southeastern state of Sennar, leaving three patients dead and seven people wounded, including an employee, Tedros said.
In three other attacks early this month, more than 30 people were killed when medical centers were targeted in South Kordofan, a vast region south of the capital Khartoum that is currently a focus of the fighting.
The WHO has confirmed at least 206 attacks on health care facilities since the start of the war in April 2023, resulting in the deaths of around 2,000 people and injuries to several hundred.
Last year alone, 65 attacks killed more than 1,620 people, accounting for 80 percent of all deaths worldwide linked to attacks on the medical sector, according to the WHO.
Since it broke out, Sudan’s civil war has killed tens of thousands of people and forced 11 million to flee their homes, triggering what the UN says is one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises.
According to the WHO, the country is facing multiple disease outbreaks, notably cholera, malaria, dengue and measles, in addition to malnutrition.
Some 4.2 million cases of acute malnutrition are expected to arise in Sudan this year, including more than 800,000 cases of severe acute malnutrition, the WHO chief said earlier this month.
Around 33 million people will be left without humanitarian aid in 2026, with the United Nations warning in January that its aid stocks could run out by the end of March.