Philippines’ Cebu records more than 9,000 aftershocks following powerful earthquake

A vehicle partially buried under rubble amid destruction caused by the magnitude 6.9 quake in Bogo, Cebu, Philippines, Oct. 2, 2025. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 08 October 2025
Follow

Philippines’ Cebu records more than 9,000 aftershocks following powerful earthquake

  • 72 people killed, nearly 300 injured in magnitude 6.9 quake that hit region last week
  • Aftershocks still pose danger and can damage more structures, PHIVOLCS warns

MANILA: More than 9,000 aftershocks have rattled Cebu since a deadly earthquake last week, the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said on Wednesday.

At least 72 people were killed and 500 injured on Sept. 30, when the central Philippine province was jolted by the magnitude 6.9 quake — the most powerful to strike the region in more than a decade.

The quake’s epicenter was in Bogo City and most of the casualties were in its neighborhood, but strong tremors and damage were also recorded in the provincial capital, Cebu City, some 100 km away.

“As of 6 a.m., we have recorded 9,037. The strongest so far is the October 3 aftershock, which was magnitude 5.1,” PHIVOLCS director Dr. Teresito Bacolcol told the local Dobol B TV.

In an afternoon update, PHIVOLCS said that the number of aftershocks had increased to 9,308.

“The strong aftershocks can further damage the structures previously affected by the main shock, can trigger landslides, especially in mountainous areas where tension cracks are already visible,” Charmaine V. Villamil, geologist and senior researcher at PHIVOLCS, told Arab News.

“They can cause more sinkholes, can further cause coastal subsidence and lateral spreading — liquefaction.”

Liquefaction is a process after earthquakes that makes solid soil behave like a liquid — often leading to severe damage — buildings or roads may sink or collapse even if they were not directly damaged by shaking.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council estimated that, as of Wednesday, more than 62,500 houses had been damaged by the quake and subsequent tremors.

The earthquake was the most powerful to strike the central region of the Philippines in more than a decade.

The whole Cebu province, home to 3.5 million people, was placed under a state of calamity following the earthquake, which came just weeks after the region was hit by two typhoons in a row.

Even though Cebu is outside the usual typhoon path in the country, it still faces strong storms and is prone to earthquakes because it is part of the Pacific Ring of Fire.

In 2013, at least 215 people were killed when a magnitude 7.2 earthquake hit Cebu and the neighboring island province of Bohol.


US lawmaker Fine criticized by rights advocates, Democrats after anti-Muslim remarks

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

US lawmaker Fine criticized by rights advocates, Democrats after anti-Muslim remarks

  • Fine’s past comments ⁠include ⁠calling for the mass expulsion of all Muslims from the US, labeling of Muslims as “terrorists” and the mocking of the starvation and killing of Palestinians in Gaza, among others

WASHINGTON: ‌Rights advocates and multiple Democrats on Tuesday condemned anti-Muslim comments by Republican US Representative Randy Fine who ​said on Sunday that “the choice between dogs and Muslims is not a difficult one.”
Fine, whose comments against Muslims have often sparked outrage, has dismissed the criticism and since doubled down on his remarks on social media. The Council on American-Islamic Relations designated the ‌Republican US ‌lawmaker from Florida as an ​anti-Muslim ‌extremist ⁠last ​year.
“If they ⁠force us to choose, the choice between dogs and Muslims is not a difficult one,” Fine said on X on Sunday in a post that had over 40 million views as of Tuesday afternoon.
Some ⁠high-profile Democrats including California Governor Gavin Newsom ‌called for him ‌to resign while House ​of Representatives Minority Leader ‌Hakeem Jeffries called Fine an “Islamophobic, disgusting and ‌unrepentant bigot.”
Jeffries also called for Republicans — who hold a majority in both chambers of Congress — to hold Fine accountable.
“To ignore this is to ‌accept and normalize it,” Democratic US Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said. Fine’s past comments ⁠include ⁠calling for the mass expulsion of all Muslims from the US, labeling of Muslims as “terrorists” and the mocking of the starvation and killing of Palestinians in Gaza, among others. Rights advocates have noted a rise in Islamophobia in the US in recent years due to a range of factors including hard-line immigration policies and white-supremacist rhetoric, as ​well as the ​fallout of Israel’s war in Gaza on American society.