Pakistan, India to face off in Women’s World Cup amid political tension, rain threat

Pakistan's captain Fatima Sana, left, celebrates the wicket of Bangladesh's captain Nigar Sultana Joty with a teammate during the ICC Women's Cricket World Cup match between Bangladesh and Pakistan in Colombo, Sri Lanka, on October 2, 2025. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 05 October 2025
Follow

Pakistan, India to face off in Women’s World Cup amid political tension, rain threat

  • Pakistan skipper Fatima Sana says team focused solely on game despite rivalry backdrop
  • BCCI hints Indian players may again avoid handshakes as political tension spills into sport

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan and India are set to meet today, Sunday, in a much-anticipated encounter at the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup, though persistent rain in Colombo threatens to disrupt play at the R. Premadasa Stadium.

Pakistan are seeking to bounce back after a heavy opening defeat to Bangladesh, while India come in with confidence following their win against Sri Lanka. Forecasts predict intermittent showers throughout the day, and officials have warned that the weather could interrupt or even shorten the match. Heavy rain in Colombo also forced the cancelation of Saturday’s fixture between Sri Lanka and Australia.

India have an unbeaten record against Pakistan in women’s One-Day Internationals, winning all 11 previous encounters. Pakistan will play all their group-stage matches in Colombo, with both the semifinal (Oct. 29) and the final (Nov. 2) also scheduled for the same venue.

The contest comes amid renewed political tension after the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) suggested its players may again avoid handshakes with their Pakistani counterparts, continuing a policy adopted during the men’s Asia Cup earlier this year.

“I cannot forecast anything, but our relationship with that country [Pakistan] is the same, there is no change in the last week,” BCCI Secretary Devajit Saikia told the BBC. 

“India will play that match against Pakistan in Colombo, and all cricket protocols will be followed. Whether there will be handshakes, whether there will be hugging, I cannot assure you of anything at this moment.”

His comments follow India’s widely criticized conduct at the Asia Cup 2025, when its men’s team refused pre- and post-match handshakes with Pakistani players and declined to receive the trophy from Asian Cricket Council President Mohsin Naqvi, who also chairs the Pakistan Cricket Board and is the country’s interior minister.

Pakistan captain Fatima Sana said her team remained focused on performance and unity despite off-field politics.

“Our main goal is to play well. Our relationship with the other teams is good. We will try to fulfil the spirit of the game,” she told reporters on Saturday.

Asked whether she would miss the camaraderie seen during the 2022 World Cup, when Indian players gathered around then-Pakistan captain Bismah Maroof and her infant daughter, Fatima said such gestures were welcome but secondary to performance.

“What happened before, like with Bismah’s daughter, when everyone mingled and enjoyed together — as players, we all like such moments. But the main thing is to stay focused on what we have come here for,” she said.

Trailing India 11-0 in their head-to-head record, Fatima dismissed talk of odds being stacked against her team, insisting Pakistan have the talent to defeat top sides. 

“Records are meant to be broken,” she said.

The tournament runs from September 30 to November 2 across India and Sri Lanka. 


PSG rally from early deficit to beat Monaco 3-2 away in Champions League playoff

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

PSG rally from early deficit to beat Monaco 3-2 away in Champions League playoff

  • PSG are now in an advantageous position for the return leg in Paris next Wednesday as they look to progress to next month’s last 16

MONACO: Champions League holders Paris St. Germain overcame a horror start and a two-goal deficit to beat 10-man Monaco 3-2 away in the first leg ​of their knockout round playoff tie on Tuesday.
Desire Doue came off the bench to engineer an impressive turnaround for PSG, who conceded a goal in the opening minute and were 2-0 down after 18 minutes as Folarin Balogun grabbed a double for the hosts.
The 20-year-old Doue replaced Ballon d’Or winner Ousmane Dembele, who went off injured after 27 minutes, and proved decisive for the visitors as he struck two superb goals plus set up one for Achraf Hakimi.
Monaco spent most of the second half down to 10 men after Aleksandr Golovin was shown a red card for a studs-up tackle that raked ‌down the shin ‌of Vitinha with the referee upgrading his original caution to a ​sending ‌off ⁠after ​consulting ⁠the touchline VAR screen.
PSG are now in an advantageous position for the return leg in Paris next Wednesday as they look to progress to next month’s last 16.
However, the European champions were in all sorts of trouble after 56 seconds when their fullback Nuno Mendes had a stray cross-field pass cut out in midfield, handing Monaco a first attack with Golovin chipping for Balogun to head home from close range.
Monaco looked to be in the driving seat as Balogun netted a second goal after Maghnes Akliouche’s cleverly weighted pass allowed ⁠the American striker to outsprint PSG captain Marquinhos and score.

PSG WASTE PENALTY OPPORTUNITY ‌BUT STILL WIN
Their fortunes were still looking good despite a ‌defensive slip by Wout Faes, which led to the defender pulling ​back on Khvicha Kvaratskhelia and giving away a ‌22nd-minute penalty, but Vitinha’s effort was saved by Philipp Kohn.
But the tie swung as Doue came ‌on for Dembele and scored with his first touch in the 29th minute with a left-footed effort after being teed up by Bradley Barcola. The goal was confirmed after a VAR check denied Monaco’s claims for a foul on defender Vanderson in the buildup.
Doue’s rifling shot in the 41st minute was parried away by Kohn, but Hakimi ‌reacted quickly to pounce on the rebound and make it 2-2 before the break.
Golovin’s dismissal in the 48th minute left Monaco on the back ⁠foot as the visitors then ⁠dominated proceedings and should have had more than just the 67th-minute winner from Doue – another superbly struck shot that flew into the goal from the edge of the penalty area.
“I didn’t feel I had to show something starting on the bench, I tried to play as usual. Tonight it paid off. I was able to score, to help the team. That’s my job,” Doue said.
“The coach makes his choices, he thinks about putting the best players in the team. Tonight he fielded this starting eleven, which is very good. Whether it’s a defeat or a victory, it’s always a team effort.”
PSG midfielder Warren Zaire-Emery missed a couple of good chances and Hakimi came close to a late fourth goal when his 86th-minute angled effort went close across the face of the goal.
“Disappointment is the overriding feeling,” ​said Monaco captain Denis Zakaria. “We went into this ​match with the aim of winning, but we didn’t manage to do it today. We still have our chances. We’re going to Paris and trying to win there.”