One of 2 victims in Manchester synagogue attack was accidenally shot by police

Members of a forensic team work outside the Manchester synagogue where two men were killed during an attack on Yom Kippur in what police have declared a terrorist incident. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 03 October 2025
Follow

One of 2 victims in Manchester synagogue attack was accidenally shot by police

  • Local residents Adrian Daulby, 53, and Melvin Cravitz, 66, died in the attack on the Heaton Park Congregation Synagogue
  • Gunshot injury to one of the victims may have been 'a tragic and unforeseen consequence' of police actions

MANCHESTER, England: One of the two men killed in a car and knife attack on a synagogue in the English city of Manchester appears to have been accidentally shot by a police officer as worshippers tried to stop the attacker entering the building, law enforcement authorities said Friday.
Police said local residents Adrian Daulby, 53, and Melvin Cravitz, 66, died in the attack on the Heaton Park Congregation Synagogue in the Manchester suburb of Crumpsall on Thursday. Three other people are hospitalized in serious condition.
Police shot and killed a suspect seven minutes after he rammed a car into pedestrians outside the synagogue and then attacked them with a knife in what the police force called an act of terrorism. He wore what appeared to be an explosives belt, which was found to be fake.
Greater Manchester Police chief Stephen Watson said a pathologist has provisionally determined that one of those killed had a gunshot wound. Since the attacker did not have a gun, he said the injury may have been “a tragic and unforeseen consequence” of police actions.
He said one of the hospitalized victims also appears to have been shot.
“It is believed that both victims were close together behind the synagogue door, as worshippers acted bravely to prevent the attacker from gaining entry,” Watson said.
The assault took place as people gathered at the Orthodox synagogue on Yom Kippur, the day of atonement and the most solemn day in the Jewish calendar.
Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis, the head of Orthodox Judaism in Britain, said the attack was the result of “an unrelenting wave of Jew hatred” on the streets and online.
“This is the day we hoped we would never see, but which deep down, we knew would come,” he wrote on social media.

Attacker was not known to police

Police identified the attacker as Jihad Al-Shamie, a 35-year-old British citizen of Syrian descent who entered the United Kingdom as a young child and became a citizen in 2006. Al-Shamie translates into English as “the Syrian,” and authorities are unsure whether that is his birth name.
Police said the crime is being investigated as a terrorist attack. Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood said the attacker was not previously known to police or to Prevent, a counterterror program that tries to identify people at risk of radicalization.
Mahmood said “it’s too early to say” whether the attacker acted alone or was part of a cell, and police said they are still probing the motive. Officers arrested two men in their 30s and a woman in her 60s on suspicion of the preparation or commission of acts of terrorism in connection with the attack.
Neighbors of the attacker in the Manchester suburb of Prestwich, a couple of miles (about 3 kilometers) from the synagogue, said Al-Shamie’s family had lived in the house for years. Several described seeing Al-Shamie lifting weights and working out in the backyard.
Geoff Halliwell, who lives nearby, said he appeared to be “a straightforward, ordinary lad.”
A statement on Facebook from the attacker’s family condemned the “heinous act, which targeted peaceful, innocent civilians.
“Our hearts and thoughts are with the victims and their families, and we pray for their strength and comfort,” the statement said.

Religious leaders condemn the attack

Religious and political leaders condemned the attack and pledged to reassure Britain’s Jewish community, which numbers about 300,000.
Police said extra officers would be on the streets of Manchester on Friday and through the weekend.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer, who visited the scene of the attack on Friday morning with his wife Victoria, said “this was a dreadful attack, a terrorist attack to inflict fear. Attacking Jews because they are Jews.
“It’s really important today that the whole country comes together, people of all faiths and no faith, stand in support and solidarity with our Jewish community,” he said.
Anglican bishop Sarah Mullally, who was named Friday as the next leader of the Church of England, said that “hatred and racism of any kind cannot be allowed to tear us apart.”
Recorded antisemitic incidents in the UK have risen sharply since Hamas’ Oct. 7, 2023, attack on Israel and Israel’s ensuing war against Hamas in Gaza, according to Community Security Trust, a charity that provides advice and protection for British Jews. More than 1,500 incidents were reported in the first half of the year, the second-highest six-month total reported since the record set over the same period a year earlier.

Calls for pro-Palestinian protests to be canceled

Some politicians and religious leaders claimed pro-Palestinian demonstrations, which have been held regularly since the war in Gaza began, had played a role in spreading hatred of Jews. Some say chants such as “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free” incite violence. Others, including Jews who support the protests, say they want a ceasefire, an end to the suffering of Palestinians in Gaza and the release of Israeli hostages held by Hamas.
Mirvis, the chief rabbi, urged authorities to “get a grip on these demonstrations. They are dangerous.”
Mahmood, the home secretary, said 40 people were arrested on Thursday evening at protests organized in response to the Israeli navy’s interception of a flotilla attempting to break Israel’s blockade of Gaza.
She said it was “dishonorable” that the protests had not been canceled after the Manchester attack.
Police in London urged organizers to call off a protest planned for Saturday to oppose the banning of the group Palestine Action, which has been labeled a terrorist organization by the government.
Organizers said they would not cancel the demonstration, at which hundreds of people are expected to hold signs supporting the banned group.
“Cancelling peaceful protests lets terror win,” the group said in a statement.


Tarique Rahman takes oath as Bangladesh’s PM after landslide election win

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Tarique Rahman takes oath as Bangladesh’s PM after landslide election win

  • 49 members of new cabinet, including ministers and state ministers, have also been sworn in
  • Experts say restoring law and order will be the new government’s main immediate task

DHAKA: Bangladesh Nationalist Party Chairman Tarique Rahman took the oath as prime minister on Tuesday, days after his party secured more than a two-thirds majority in the first vote since a student-led uprising expelled former Premier Sheikh Hasina.

The son of former Prime Minister Khaleda Zia and former President Ziaur Rahman — the BNP’s founder — Rahman returned to Bangladesh in late December after nearly two decades of self-imposed exile.

He led his party to a landslide victory last week, winning an absolute majority with 209 seats in the 300-seat parliament, followed by the Jamaat-e-Islami party, which won 68 seats.

The swearing-in ceremony was held publicly for the first time, under the open sky at the south plaza of the national parliament building.

Rahman’s administration takes over from an interim government led by Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus who during the 18 months after Hasina’s ouster in August 2024, prepared the country for reform and the next election.

One of the most immediate tasks expected of the new leadership of the country of 170 million is the restoration of law and order — an area in which the caretaker cabinet faced widespread criticism.

A crisis that swept through the police force, which was implicated in the deadly crackdown on the July to August 2024 protests, has left law enforcement significantly weakened and some of its tasks were taken over by the military.

“The law-and-order situation during the interim’s period became very volatile ... The government will have to immediately step in to stop mobocracy,” said Dr. Zahed Ur Rahman, a Dhaka-based political commentator.

“The government must think about withdrawing the military from the streets because they’ve been there for one and a half years, and the military chief repeatedly said that it is having some impact on their professionalism. The regular police should take charge fully.”

In the long-term, the new government will have to focus on reviving the economy.

Under the interim administration the country has recorded little foreign or domestic investment — a situation expected as an elected government will mean more stability to potential investors, Rahman said, warning that the process will also require better energy security.

“We do not have good energy security. Supplying energy at a cheap or affordable price will be tough because this sector suffered rampant corruption during Sheikh Hasina’s regime.

“When investment increases, energy consumption or demand increases. So, it will be a severe problem to manage the power supply,” he told Arab News.

As the BNP leader took the oath of office, he appointed 24 ministers and 25 state ministers, with former commerce minister Amir Khasru Mahmud Chowdhury taking the finance and planning portfolio, former attorney general Md. Asaduzzaman as law minister, and former state minister of power, Ikbal Hasan Mahmud Tuku, at the helm of the Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources.

The appointment of the foreign minister is still pending.

The new government’s foreign policy will have to address the influence of key players — the US, China, and India, a neighbor that was Bangladesh’s main partner during the 15-year rule of Hasina’s Awami League and with whom Dhaka has been at loggerheads since the former leader fled to New Delhi following her ouster.

Since 2024, India has suspended key transshipment access that allowed Bangladeshi exports to go via Indian ports and airports. It also put on hold most normal visa services for Bangladeshis, who were among its largest groups of medical tourists.

Bangladesh needs to revive the relationship as the “next priority” after restoring law and order, according to Mohiuddin Ahmad, a political historiographer.

“The revival of a good relationship with India will increase people-to-people contact, bilateral trade and commerce, and so on,” he said.

“The next priority should be the normalization of the relationship with India. We need such a relationship with India, which will promote all the elements of a good neighborhood.”