Protests erupt across Pakistan after Israel intercepts Gaza aid flotilla

A protestor holding flag of Palestine during a protest in Karachi, Pakistan, on October 2, 2025, against interception of Global Sumud Flotilla by Israel. (AN Photo)
Short Url
Updated 02 October 2025
Follow

Protests erupt across Pakistan after Israel intercepts Gaza aid flotilla

  • Protesters in Karachi demanded the release of ex-senator Mushtaq Ahmed Khan and other activists
  • Gaza’s death toll has surpassed 65,000 in nearly two years of war, with Israel blocking aid deliveries

KARACHI: Civil society groups and religio-political parties held widespread protests across Pakistan on Thursday after Israeli forces intercepted the Global Sumud Flotilla bound for Gaza and reportedly detained former Pakistani senator Mushtaq Ahmed Khan along with hundreds of international campaigners.

Demonstrations broke out in major cities including Islamabad and Karachi, where men, women and children marched with Palestinian flags and chanted slogans against Israel. 

The flotilla, comprising more than 40 vessels carrying food and medicine, set sail in late August with around 500 activists, parliamentarians and lawyers on board. Organizers said Israeli forces intercepted them overnight Wednesday, including one carrying Swedish campaigner Greta Thunberg. Images live-streamed from the boats showed Israeli troops boarding ships as passengers huddled in life vests with their hands raised.

“Last night, Israel carried out an open act of terrorism by detaining more than 500 people from 44 countries,” Monem Zafar, Jamaat-e-Islami (JI) chief in Karachi, said at a protest march that drew thousands of people.

“Where is the International Court of Justice?” he asked.

The JI leader demanded Islamabad step up diplomatic efforts to secure the release of the former Pakistani senator and others held by Israel.

Protesters accused Israel of crimes against humanity and criticized Western governments for remaining silent.

Participants said the rally was to show solidarity with Palestinians.

“Freedom Flotilla is not only for the Muslims of the world, but for all people who have felt the [Palestinian] pain,” Sarfaraz Shaikh, a creative director with a local firm who joined the JI protest, said.

“We demand that all those arrested be released,” he said.

Iqbal Chaudhry, an engineer by profession, said the JI demonstration was not only a party protest but should be seen as a demonstration by the whole Muslim world.

“The entire Muslim Ummah is expressing solidarity with the oppressed Muslims of Gaza,” he said. “Israel has attacked the Freedom Flotilla and arrested everyone on board.”

Shaikh hoped for greater participation in Sunday’s upcoming Gaza march which the JI chief announced earlier during the day.

“The real demand is that the land of Palestine should be free,” he added.

Civil society groups also staged demonstrations outside the Karachi Press Club.

“Israel tries to attack in a very severe and dangerous way,” said Umme Malahim, a student protester, adding all countries were working to get their citizens released and Pakistan should do the same. “Our government shouldn’t sit idly.”

In Islamabad, the former senator’s wife, Humaira Tayyaba, said the family lost contact with him in the early hours of the day.

“The last contact senator Mushtaq Ahmed Khan had with us was last night, when he informed us that the main ship had been intercepted and that their ship might also face interception. At 2:45 a.m., he sent his last voice note, and since then, we have lost all contact,” she told Arab News by phone.

The wife of the ex-senator said she has petitioned the Islamabad High Court and written to the foreign office, urging the government to ensure his safe return.

“We have been categorically clear that the government of Pakistan should not engage in any secret negotiations for his release, as this goes against our mission’s objectives,” she added. “Instead, the government should raise the matter through the United Nations, the OIC or countries already maintaining relations with Israel.”

Pakistan, which does not maintain diplomatic relations with Israel, condemned the interception of the flotilla, with its foreign ministry saying the action endangered the lives of innocent civilians while urging the lifting of the blockade of Gaza, where more than 65,000 Palestinians have been killed in nearly two years of war.

Protest demonstrations against the interception were also reported in Greece, Ireland and Türkiye, while Italian unions announced a general strike for Friday in response to Israel’s actions. A demonstration was also held in Islamabad outside the National Press Club, where hundreds chanted slogans in favor of Palestinians.

JI said it would hold more demonstrations tomorrow after Friday prayers in the country. It also plans to hold a “mass march” in Karachi on Oct. 5.


Brook says a ‘shame’ if Pakistan players snubbed for Hundred

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Brook says a ‘shame’ if Pakistan players snubbed for Hundred

  • The Hundred is England’s domestic white-ball cricket tournament featuring eight franchise teams
  • Media reports say Indian-owned franchises may overlook Pakistani players at next month’s auction

KANDY: England captain Harry Brook said Saturday that it would be “a shame” if Pakistani players were shut out of England’s domestic white-ball Hundred competition by Indian-owned franchises.

Former England skipper Michael Vaughan on Friday urged the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to “act fast” on BBC reports that Pakistani players will be “overlooked” in the player auction next month.

Ahead of England’s opening Super Eights clash against Sri Lanka in Kandy on Sunday, Brook — who will play for Indian-owned Sunrisers Leeds in the Hundred this year — was asked about the issue.

“Our main focus now is what’s coming up in the T20 World Cup. It’s not really any of our business, to be honest,” said Brook.

“But what I would say is Pakistan have been a great cricket nation for many years.”

Long-standing political tensions between India and Pakistan have led to the border rivals only playing each other in international cricket events.

Their Colombo showdown at the ongoing T20 World Cup only went ahead after Pakistan called off a threatened boycott.

“I think there’s about 50, 60 players in the auction, and it would be a shame to not see some of them in there,” said Brook.

“There’s some amazing cricketers and, yeah, and they bring some great crowds as well.

“So it would be a shame to not see some of the Pakistan players in there and make the tournament and competition even better.”

The newly renamed Sunrisers Leeds is owned by Indian conglomerate Sun Group, one of four of the eight Hundred franchises with connections to the Indian Premier League.

The others are Manchester Super Giants, Southern Brave and MI London.

It has been claimed that politics has also led to an effective ban on Pakistani players participating in the Indian Premier League since 2009.

The ECB has been unable to substantiate the BBC allegations, but former England captain Vaughan called for the governing body to investigate the issue thoroughly.

Vaughan referred to the ECB’s stated aim of cricket becoming the most inclusive sport in the country.

“The ECB need to act fast on this... they own the league and this should not be allowed to happen... the most inclusive sport in the country is not one that allows this to happen,” Vaughan posted on X.

An ECB spokesman said: “The Hundred welcomes men’s and women’s players from all over the world and we would expect the eight teams to reflect that.”

Only two Pakistan internationals — Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim — appeared in last year’s Hundred, the final edition before new investors became involved.