Serbia arrests 11 for placing pig heads outside mosques in France

A photograph taken on September 9, 2025 shows a general view of a Mosque in the Parisian suburb city of Montrouge where pigs’ head were discovered earlier in the morning. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 30 September 2025
Follow

Serbia arrests 11 for placing pig heads outside mosques in France

  • The suspects were trained in Serbia and are all Serbian, the interior ministry said
  • A police investigation in France, which has Europe’s largest population of Muslims, for whom eating pork is forbidden, found that the pig heads had been placed there by foreign nationals who immediately left the country

BELGRADE: Serbian police have arrested 11 people suspected of placing pig heads outside mosques and targeting Jewish sites in and around Paris this month on the orders of a foreign intelligence service, the interior ministry said in a statement on Monday.
As well as placing the pig heads outside at least nine mosques, those arrested are suspected of throwing green paint on the Holocaust Museum, several synagogues and a Jewish restaurant, all in Paris, and putting concrete “skeletons” in front of the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.
The suspects were trained in Serbia and are all Serbian, the interior ministry said.
Another suspect, identified in the statement by the initials M.G., is suspected of training them “on the instructions of a foreign intelligence service” and is on the run, it said.
“Their goal was also to spread ideas that advocate and incite hatred, discrimination and violence based on differences in the aforementioned personal characteristics of certain groups of people,” the statement said.
It did not say which foreign intelligence service it suspected of ordering the training, or the nationality of the fugitive suspect.
A police investigation in France, which has Europe’s largest population of Muslims, for whom eating pork is forbidden, found that the pig heads had been placed there by foreign nationals who immediately left the country.
France has accused Russia of trying to sow discord in the past. Three Serbians accused of links to a “foreign power” were arrested after synagogues and a Holocaust memorial were defaced with green paint in May.
Serbia, which aims to join the EU, has close relations with Russia and is the only European country that has not introduced sanctions on Moscow.
All crimes were committed from April to September 2025, the ministry statement said.
The suspects will be brought to the premises of the Higher Public Prosecutor’s Office in Smederevo for questioning within 48 hours. 

 


Thousands in Kosovo march against war crimes trials on 18th anniversary of independence declaration

Updated 42 min 14 sec ago
Follow

Thousands in Kosovo march against war crimes trials on 18th anniversary of independence declaration

  • Protesters, many wrapped in red and black Albanian flags, braved cold and snowy weather in the capital, Pristina, to voice their opposition to the proceedings in The Hague
  • PM Albin Kurti added that ‘the KLA-led war was pure, liberation (struggle) and an anti-colonial war ... a just struggle of an occupied and oppressed people under apartheid’

PRISTINA, Kosovo: An air of defiance marked Kosovo’s independence celebrations on Tuesday as thousands of people joined a march in support of former fighters who are facing trial at a Netherlands-based court for alleged war crimes during a 1998-1999 separatist war from Serbia.
Protesters, many wrapped in red and black Albanian flags, braved cold and snowy weather in the capital, Pristina, to voice their opposition to the proceedings in The Hague against former president and rebel leader Hashim Thaci and three others accused of atrocities during and after the conflict that killed some 13,000 people.
Earlier on Tuesday, Kosovo’s security forces paraded in Pristina as part of the independence ceremonies, and Parliament held a special session.
The war started in 1998 when the rebel Kosovo Liberation Army launched its struggle for independence and Serbia responded with a brutal crackdown. The war ended after NATO bombed Serbia for 78 days in 1999, eventually forcing it to pull out its troops from the territory.
Serbia still does not recognize the 2008 declaration of independence of Kosovo and this has been a source of persistent tension in the volatile Balkan region. As both Kosovo and Serbia seek European Union membership, they have been told they must normalize ties before joining.
Prosecutors at the Kosovo Specialist Chambers in The Hague — which formally is part of Kosovo’s judicial system although seated abroad — have asked for a maximum 45-year prison sentence for Thaci and the other defendants. Thaci also faces a separate trial on charges of intimidating witnesses that will begin later this month.
Officials and protesters in Kosovo have criticized the proceedings as political and designed to strike a false balance with Serbia whose political and military leaders previously had been tried and convicted of war crimes in Kosovo by a separate UN court.
Protesters at Tuesday’s march held banners reading “History cannot be rewritten” and “Freedom for the liberators.” They arranged metal fences around a landmark independence monument and placed a sign reading ”Kosovo in Prison” on top of it.
President Vjosa Osmani said in a statement that “truth cannot be changed by attempts to rewrite history or to tarnish and devalue the struggle of Kosovo’s people for freedom.”
Prime Minister Albin Kurti added that “the KLA-led war was pure, liberation (struggle) and an anti-colonial war ... a just struggle of an occupied and oppressed people under apartheid.”
In Belgrade, a Serbian government liaison office for Kosovo described the independence declaration 18 years ago as a “flagrant violation of international law.” The statement alleged “systematic terror” and persecution against minority Serbs in Kosovo.
The United States and most EU countries are among more than 100 nations that have recognized Kosovo’s independence while Russia and China have backed Serbia’s claim on the territory.
Thaci resigned from office in 2020 to defend himself against the 10 charges of crimes against humanity and war crimes.
The court and an associated prosecutor’s office were created after a 2011 report by the Council of Europe, a human rights body, following allegations that KLA fighters trafficked human organs taken from prisoners and killed Serbs and fellow ethnic Albanians. The organ harvesting allegations haven’t been included in indictments issued by the court.