Pakistan offers refunds, substitutes to Hajj applicants unable to proceed in 2026

Officials check baggage of Hajj pilgrims as they arrive at the Sialkot International Airport in Sialkot on June 20, 2024. (APP/File)
Short Url
Updated 28 September 2025
Follow

Pakistan offers refunds, substitutes to Hajj applicants unable to proceed in 2026

  • Reasons for a refund or substitute under government scheme include death of an applicant, illness or an unavoidable commitment
  • Pakistan has a quota of 179,210 pilgrims for Hajj 2026, of which, around 118,000 seats have been allocated to government scheme

ISLAMABAD: Hajj applicants can seek a refund or nominate a blood relative to perform the next year’s pilgrimage in their stead if they are unable to proceed further due to any emergencies, Pakistan’s religious affairs ministry announced on Sunday, in major relief for intending pilgrims.

Pakistan has been allocated a quota of 179,210 pilgrims for Hajj 2026. Of these, around 118,000 seats have been allocated to the government scheme and the rest to private tour operators.

Earlier this month, Pakistan’s religious affairs minister Sardar Muhammad Yousaf said the country has filled its entire quota of 179,210 Hajj pilgrims under both the government and private schemes.

Under the government scheme, applicants deposited a first installment of Rs500,000 ($1,764) or Rs550,000 ($1,941) depending on the package in August while the remaining dues will be collected in November.

“The ministry has uploaded the forms on its website for refund or nominating a substitute for any of the 118,000 government scheme Hajj pilgrims who have already submitted their first installment but are unable to travel due to death or any other serious and valid reason,” Muhammad Umer Butt, a religious affairs ministry spokesperson, told Arab News.

Such applicants may request a refund before paying the second installment or nominate a blood relative, according to Butt. This facility was available because visas or bookings have not been finalized at this stage, giving the ministry time to manage such cases.

“The form outlines certain conditions that must be fulfilled for a substitute, and for refunds, solid reasons must be provided,” he said. “However, if more time passes and the ministry has already spent money on the applicants, those expenses will be deducted from the refund.”

He said deductions are only made when preparations are in advanced stages and someone withdraws, but at present, applicants can claim their full amount by providing a valid reason.

“Valid reasons include death of an applicant, illness or other health issues, or an unavoidable commitment such as examinations that became known after the application was filed,” the spokesperson added.

According to the form seen by Arab News, the ministry will evaluate the case once submitted and upon approval, issue an authority letter for refund which the applicant can present to the bank to receive the payment.

Last year, around 63,000 Pakistani pilgrims were unable to perform Hajj under the private scheme due to delays in payments and mismanagement by private Hajj operators. As a result, Islamabad was forced to surrender these slots to Saudi Arabia.

For the private scheme, the spokesperson said, the ministry has instructed operators to give priority to more than 21,000 pilgrims who could not perform the pilgrimage last year.

“They have been given Oct. 17 deadline to complete bookings so that Saudi timelines can be met,” Butt said, adding that private operators have already uploaded data for over 24,000 pilgrims on the ministry’s portal, and the remaining entries will be completed before the deadline.


Pakistan compensates families of victims in Islamabad mosque suicide attack claimed by Daesh

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan compensates families of victims in Islamabad mosque suicide attack claimed by Daesh

  • Pakistan is paying compensation totalling more than $700,000 to the families of 40 people killed
  • Attack was deadliest in capital since 2008 truck bombing that killed 60 people at Marriott Hotel

Pakistan is paying compensation totalling more than $700,000 to the families of 40 people killed in a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad this month, the prime minister’s office said on Thursday.

The February 6 attack claimed by the Daesh group on the outskirts of the capital was the deadliest in Islamabad since a 2008 truck bombing that killed 60 people at the Marriott Hotel.

“Relief cheques have been delivered to the heirs of 36 martyrs belonging to Islamabad,” Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s office said in a statement, adding each victim’s family received five million rupees (around $17,800).

Cheques will also be delivered to four families of victims living outside Islamabad, the statement said.

Although officials have not released a final death toll, the statement marked the first official acknowledgement that 40 people were killed in the blast.

The suicide attack occurred during Friday prayers, when mosques around the country are packed with worshippers.

Pakistan is a Sunni-majority nation, but Shiites make up between 10 and 15 percent of the population and have been targeted in attacks throughout the region in the past.

The last major attack in Islamabad took place in November when a suicide blast outside a court killed 12 people and wounded dozens, the first such incident to hit the capital in nearly three years.

The bombings come as Pakistan’s security forces battle intensifying insurgencies in southern and northern provinces that border Afghanistan.

Last year, militant assaults killed 1,235 people — including 825 security personnel and 400 civilians — with 27 suicide attacks reported nationwide and 2,597 militants killed.