West Ham appoint Espirito Santo as manager after sacking Potter

West Ham have sacked head coach Graham Potter after only nine months in charge, with the club sitting 19th in the Premier League. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 27 September 2025
Follow

West Ham appoint Espirito Santo as manager after sacking Potter

  • Portuguese Espirito Santo, who was fired by Nottingham Forest this month, joined West Ham after they made a dismal start to the Premier League campaign
  • “My objective is to work hard to get the very best from the team and ensure that we are as competitive as we possibly can be,” Espirito Santo said.

LONDON: West Ham United appointed Nuno Espirito Santo as manager on a three-year contract on Saturday, hours after announcing the sacking of Graham Potter.
Portuguese Espirito Santo, who was fired by Nottingham Forest this month, joined West Ham after they made a dismal start to the Premier League campaign, losing 3-0 to promoted Sunderland on the opening day before suffering heavy defeats by Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur.

Potter’s final game was a 2-1 home loss to Crystal Palace last Saturday amid fan protests, but the axe did not fall immediately, with the Englishman fulfilling club media duties on Friday.
“My objective is to work hard to get the very best from the team and ensure that we are as competitive as we possibly can be,” Espirito Santo said.
“The work has already started and I am looking forward to the challenge that is ahead.”

ANOTHER CHANCE FOR ESPIRITO SANTO
Espirito Santo had guided Forest through a relegation battle when he joined in December 2023 before exceeding expectations by taking them into the Europa League by finishing seventh last season.

But the former Wolves and Tottenham Hotspur manager admitted last month that his relationship with the club’s owner Evangelos Marinakis had broken down.
He will take charge of his first game when West Ham face Everton away on Monday.
They will be up against their former manager David Moyes, who left in 2024 despite leading the club to the UEFA Conference League title, their first major silverware for 43 years.
Under Potter, West Ham conceded 13 goals in the opening five games to hold the worst defensive record and sit 19th in the Premier League while they were also knocked out of the League Cup by Wolverhampton Wanderers last month.
“Results and performances over the course of the second half of last season and the start of the 2025-26 season have not matched expectations,” West Ham said.
“The Board of Directors believe that a change is necessary in order to help improve the team’s position in the Premier League as soon as possible.”

POTTER LEADS WEST HAM TO 14TH-PLACE FINISH
Potter was appointed by West Ham in January to replace Julen Lopetegui but the club won only five Premier League games under the 50-year-old Englishman last season to finish 14th.
“I am incredibly disappointed to be leaving West Ham, particularly without being able to achieve what we set out to achieve at the start of our journey in East London,” Potter said in a statement.
“I do, however, fully acknowledge that the results have just not been good enough up to now.”
The club lost a number of experienced players in the summer transfer window, with Aaron Cresswell, Vladimir Coufal, Danny Ings, Michail Antonio and Kurt Zouma departing.
Forward Mohammed Kudus joined London rivals Tottenham in a deal worth around 55 million pounds ($73.70 million).
West Ham invested only 70 million pounds on their squad, with full back El Hadji Malick Diouf, goalkeeper Mads Hermansen and striker Callum Wilson among the acquisitions.


Barca suffer title defense blow in Girona derby defeat

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Barca suffer title defense blow in Girona derby defeat

  • Girona ended the game with 10 men when Roca scythed down Yamal to cut short a desperate Barca attack deep in stoppage time

GIRONA, Spain: Spanish champions Barcelona fell to a damaging 2-1 defeat at Girona on Monday to leave them trailing Real Madrid by two points at the top of La Liga.
Los Blancos beat Real Sociedad on Saturday to overtake the Catalans and Hansi Flick’s side could not defeat Girona in an gripping derby clash to reclaim the lead.
Teenage star Lamine Yamal missed a penalty for Barcelona, who took the lead through defender Pau Cubarsi just before the hour mark.
However goals from Thomas Lemar and Fran Beltran helped Girona, 12th, mount an impressive comeback.
“We have to improve because they can’t score these two goals against us,” Cubarsi told DAZN.
“We have to be self-critical, we didn’t play a great game, we have to improve, but now we have to rest and charge our batteries.”
Both sides were attacking with abandon in the first half and it was remarkable they went in goalless at the break.
Raphinha whipped a shot narrowly wide and Yamal fired straight at Girona goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga when through on goal.
At the other end Ukrainian striker Vladyslav Vanat missed a slew of presentable opportunities.
Ferran Torres fired a good chance wide for Barca and Raphinha drove against the upright as Flick’s side pushed for the opener.
They should have got it when Dani Olmo was clumsily felled in the box by Daley Blind, but Yamal hit the post from the spot.
Barcelona eventually took the lead through Pau Cubarsi’s header from Jules Kounde’s cross after 59 minutes, but Girona swiftly pulled level.
Thomas Lemar slipped away from Eric Garcia and turned home Vanat’s pass from close range.
It shifted the momentum in Girona’s favor and Barca were left relying on some stunning saves from goalkeeper Joan Garcia to keep them afloat.
The stopper denied Ivan Martin and Vanat with a remarkable double save, and then thwarted Joel Roca with his leg.
Barca could not stem the tide and Girona forced their way in front after 87 minutes, with Fran Beltran stroking home from the edge of the area.
The visitors, who last week made an official complaint to the Spanish football federation over perceived refereeing inconsistencies, were left fuming after Kounde was fouled by Claudio Echeverri in the build-up and it went unpunished.
Girona ended the game with 10 men when Roca scythed down Yamal to cut short a desperate Barca attack deep in stoppage time.
It did the job and the hosts celebrated wildly at the end with their jubilant fans at Montilivi, as Flick demanded explanations from the referee.
“It seemed like a foul (on Kounde) to me, but we shouldn’t focus on decisions we can’t control,” said Barca defender Gerard Martin.