Gaza aid flotilla set to head east from Greece despite Israeli warnings

A woman gesture aboard a boat, part of the Global Sumud Flotilla aiming to reach Gaza and break Israel's naval blockade, as it sails off Crete island, Greece. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 26 September 2025
Follow

Gaza aid flotilla set to head east from Greece despite Israeli warnings

  • Greece said it would guarantee the safe sailing of the flotilla off Greece, but Friday’s launch will take the flotilla back into international waters in the eastern Mediterranean
  • Israel, which has imposed a naval blockade on Gaza, said the flotilla will not pass and that the project will only assist Hamas

ATHENS: An international aid flotilla was set to leave Greek waters and head toward Gaza on Friday, organizers said, defying warnings from Israel that it would use any means to block the boats’ access to the war-torn enclave. The Global Sumud Flotilla is using about 50 civilian boats to try to break Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza, an initiative Israel strongly opposes.

Many lawyers, parliamentarians, and activists, including Swedish climate campaigner Greta Thunberg, are on board. Its passage across the Mediterranean has raised international tensions, especially after it said it was attacked by drones this week. No one was hurt, but Italy and Spain have dispatched naval ships to provide assistance to their and other European citizens on the flotilla. Greece said it would guarantee the safe sailing of the flotilla off Greece, but Friday’s launch will take the flotilla back into international waters in the eastern Mediterranean. Organizers said the boats aim to arrive early next week.
’TRYING TO DELIVER HOPE AND SOLIDARITY’
Israel, which has imposed a naval blockade on Gaza, said the flotilla will not pass and that the project will only assist Hamas. The flotilla has blamed Israel for the drone attack. Israel’s foreign ministry did not respond directly to the accusation, but invited the flotilla to drop humanitarian aid for Israel to take to Gaza, or face consequences.
The exact timing of the departure from Greece is unclear. Organizers said on Friday that one of its lead boats had suffered a mechanical failure but that it was still preparing to depart.
“We are not just delivering humanitarian aid. We are trying to deliver hope and solidarity, to send a strong message that the world stands with Palestine,” Thunberg said from the deck of a boat off the Greek island of Crete on Thursday.
Italy had proposed a compromise whereby aid supplies could be dropped off in Cyprus and handed over to the Catholic Church’s Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, which would then distribute it in Gaza.
Israel said it backed the idea but the flotilla rejected it.
ITALY WARNS FLOTILLA AGAINST CONTINUING
Italy’s foreign ministry has sent a message to Italian members of the flotilla warning them against continuing with the mission, and offering help with repatriation if they choose to disembark in Greece.
It said the navy ship it has deployed would intervene only for sea rescue or humanitarian operations, and would “under no circumstances” engage in defensive or offensive military maneuvers against anyone.
“Whoever (continues with the mission) takes on all risks and is personally responsible for them,” the ministry told activists. Israel launched its nearly two-year-old war in Gaza in response to the October 7, 2023, attacks on the country by Hamas militants which killed some 1,200 people and saw 251 taken hostage, according to Israeli tallies.
Since then, the Israeli offensive has killed more than 65,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza health authorities, destroyed most buildings, and displaced the population, in many cases multiple times, while famine has taken hold in parts of the territory.


Gabon suspends access to social media as critics accuse its leader of crackdown on dissent

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Gabon suspends access to social media as critics accuse its leader of crackdown on dissent

  • “The High Authority for Communication has decided to immediately suspend social media throughout Gabon until further notice,” Mendome said
  • Social media platforms were severely impacted on Wednesday

LIBREVILLE: Gabon has suspended access to social media and digital platforms throughout the central African nation until further notice, the authorities said as critics accuse the country’s leader of crackdown on dissent.
The communications agency said it had observed on social media and digital platforms what it described as inappropriate, defamatory, hateful and insulting content that undermines human dignity, the country’s institutions and national security.
The agency’s statement added that this constitutes offenses punishable under national and international laws, as well as under policies on moderation adopted by major digital platforms.
“The High Authority for Communication has decided to immediately suspend social media throughout Gabon until further notice,” Jean Claude Franck Mendome, the spokesperson for the agency, known as High Authority for Communication, said in a statement that was read out on national media on Tuesday evening.
Social media platforms — including Meta and TikTok — were severely impacted on Wednesday. The two, along with WhatsApp, the messaging service owned by Meta, are the most widely used by Gabonese citizens. WhatsApp calls were also experiencing significant disruptions on Wednesday.
The country’s leader, Gen. Brice Clotaire Oligui Nguema had toppled President Ali Bongo Ondimba, who was accused of irresponsible governance.
Last year, Oligui Nguema won the presidential election, raising hopes for a return to constitutional democracy. However, critics say he has been increasingly clamping down on critical voices, targeting independent media and trade unionists. A journalist and two trade unionists were imprisoned last year.