US Defense Secretary Hegseth says soldiers in Wounded Knee massacre will keep their Medals of Honor

This photo taken in January 1891 shows US soldiers burying the bodies of Lakota Indians killed in the infamous massacre of Wounded Knee in the state of South Dakota. (Wikimedia Commons: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division)
Short Url
Updated 26 September 2025
Follow

US Defense Secretary Hegseth says soldiers in Wounded Knee massacre will keep their Medals of Honor

  • US Army soldiers killed an estimated 250 Lakota Sioux tribepeople, including women and children, in Wounded Knee, South Dakota, in 1890
  • The soldiers were trying to disarm Native American fighters who had already surrendered at their camp
  • Hegseth’s predecessor, Lloyd Austin, ordered the review of the awards in 2024 after a Congressional recommendation in the 2022 defense bill

 

WASHINGTON: Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth has announced that he has decided that the 20 soldiers who received the Medal of Honor for the actions in 1890 at Wounded Knee will keep their awards in a video posted to social media Thursday evening.
Hegseth’s predecessor, Lloyd Austin, ordered the review of the awards in 2024 after a Congressional recommendation in the 2022 defense bill — itself a reflection of efforts by some lawmakers to rescind the awards for those who participated in the bloody massacre on South Dakota’s Pine Ridge Indian Reservation near Wounded Knee Creek.
While the events of that day are sometimes described as a battle, historical records show that the US Army, which was in the midst of amid a campaign to repress the tribes in the area, killed an estimated 250 Native Americans, including women and children, of the Lakota Sioux tribe, while attempting to disarm Native American fighters who had already surrendered at their camp.
“We’re making it clear that (the soldiers) deserve those medals,” Hegseth said in the video, before adding that “their place in our nation’s history is no longer up for debate.”
After the fighting, Medals of Honor were given to 20 soldiers from the 7th Cavalry Regiment, and their awards cite a range of actions including bravery, efforts to rescue fellow troops and actions to “dislodge Sioux Indians” who were concealed in a ravine.
The event also became a celebrated part of the regiment’s history, with their coat of arms still featuring the head of a Native American chief to “commemorate Indian campaigns,” according to the military’s Institute of Heraldry.
In 1990, Congress apologized to the descendants of those killed at Wounded Knee but did not revoke the medals.
According to Hegseth, the review panel ordered by Austin “concluded that these brave soldiers should, in fact, rightfully keep their medals from actions,” but an official from the defense secretary’s office couldn’t say if the report he was referencing in the video would be made public.
President Donald Trump issued an executive order in March titled “Restoring Truth and Sanity to American History” that decried efforts to reinterpret American history and, since then, Hegseth has undertaken multiple actions that have subverted the recommendations of a Congressionally-mandated commission that examined the use of Confederate names and references in the military.
He reverted the names of several Army bases back to their original, Confederate-linked names, though by honoring different figures.
Hegseth also restored a 1914 memorial to the Confederacy that was removed from Arlington National Cemetery. The monument features a classical female figure, crowned with olive leaves, representing the American South, alongside sanitized depictions of slavery.
In September, the US Military Academy at West Point, New York, also confirmed that a painting of Gen. Robert E. Lee dressed in his Confederate uniform was back on display in the school’s library after being removed in 2022. The portrait shows a Black man leading Lee’s horse in the background, which had been hanging in the library since the 1950s before it was placed in storage.
 


Elections under fire: Colombia endures deadliest campaign in decades

Updated 9 sec ago
Follow

Elections under fire: Colombia endures deadliest campaign in decades

  • A presidential candidate has been assassinated, rebels have pipe bombed a major city and a third of the country is considered unsafe for candidates
SUAREZ: A presidential candidate has been assassinated, rebels have pipe?bombed a major city and a third of the country is considered unsafe for candidates — all making Colombia’s 2026 election campaign one of the most violent in decades.
Nowhere is that danger more palpable than in Cauca, where a silver armored SUV hurries along a mountain track, watched by rifle-wielding guerrillas.
Every second spent along the route is a risk for passenger Esneyder Gomez, a 46-year-old Indigenous candidate hoping to win election to Colombia’s Congress on March 8.
Neatly groomed and driven by anger about the treatment of his Nasa minority, Gomez is hunting for votes in a rebel?controlled region of Colombia’s lawless southwest.
The danger is real. He has been threatened by the guerrilla for a decade. A few months ago his vehicle was shot up as he returned from a political event.
Just days ago, Indigenous legislator Aida Quilcue was kidnapped in the same area, before being released after frantic negotiations.
AFP recently followed Gomez as he trudged village to village along muddy roads, trying to win the votes of Indigenous communities.
The son of a Nasa Indigenous guerrilla and an Afro?Colombian police officer, his protection is a phalanx of some 30 Indigenous Guards, some barely out of their teens and armed with little more than batons.
“The risk is constant,” Gomez says, noting wryly that in the decade-and-a-half since Colombia’s biggest armed groups signed a peace deal, peace remains elusive.
“Post?conflict is turning out harsher than the conflict itself,” he says.
Ahead of the legislative elections and a presidential vote on May 31, at least 61 political leaders have been killed, according to the country’s Electoral Observation Mission.
The violence was brought into sharp focus last June, when young conservative presidential frontrunner Miguel Uribe Turbay was shot in broad daylight while campaigning in the capital, Bogota.
Candidates are under threat of violence in 130 municipalities — about a third of the total — according to observers.
- ‘61 years of struggle’ -
For many Colombians, the uptick in violence has recalled bad old days of the 1980s and 1990s, when five presidential candidates were assassinated, with drug lords like Pablo Escobar calling the shots.
Defense Minister Pedro Sanchez announced a deployment of security forces to ensure “safe” elections.
But many blame the rise in violence on the incumbent leftist government’s policy of trying to negotiate rather than fight armed groups.
During incumbent Gustavo Petro’s four years in the presidential palace, many groups have expanded territory and grown rich as coca production has hit record highs.
According to UN figures, cocaine exports are now over 1,700 tons, higher than at any point on record.
Evidence of the trade can be seen all across the steep mist-covered mountains that flank Gomez’s route.
The hillsides are painted emerald green with coca crops. They will likely be harvested, turned into cocaine and shipped to rich customers in North America and Europe.
Immediately after the 2016 peace agreement, people “could move more safely” Gomez says.
The main faction of Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia — FARC — laid down arms. But dissident factions did not.
Today they impose “territorial control” says Gomez.
“I’ve seen many, many colleagues fall” to armed groups, he adds. “It is infuriating. It makes your blood boil.”
In this part of the Cauca, the rebels make no attempt to remain in the shadows. A poster boasts of “61 years of struggle” featuring a famed guerrilla fighter.
Along the road, armed rebels man checkpoints where travelers must identify themselves. Cameras are unwelcome.
- ‘This must stop’ -
Gomez’s Indigenous bodyguards are always unarmed, hoping to avoid confrontation, explains Jose Yatacue, coordinator of the Nasa unit.
They hope to solve any problems through dialogue, but acknowledge their protectee “is at risk” because of his past role as a social leader “and even more as a candidate.”
Neither the communities nor Yatacue’s guard can rely on the large-scale intervention of the state, only a few unarmed state bodyguards accompany them.
The region is replete with dissidents loyal to warlord Nestor Gregorio Vera Fernandez — better known as Ivan Mordisco, Colombia’s most wanted guerrilla.
He is accused by the government of crimes against humanity and ethnocide of the Nasa, including the forced recruitment of Indigenous children.
“It has been systematic,” Gomez says. “They have brutalized the Nasa people. This must stop.”
The area will be a test of whether Colombia’s elections can be free, fair and safe across the whole country.
“We have been a forgotten territory,” says Luz Dary Munoz, leader of a nearby hamlet. “Everything we have built has been through community effort.”