Gunmen shoot dead police constable in northwestern Pakistan amid surging militancy 

A policeman (R) and army soldiers (L) stand guard along a road in Bannu on December 21, 2022, a day after the seize of a Pakistan police station ended. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 25 September 2025
Follow

Gunmen shoot dead police constable in northwestern Pakistan amid surging militancy 

  • Police constable Abdul Qudoos shot dead in Bannu district by armed men on a motorcycle, say police
  • Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province has witnessed spike in militant attacks recently 

PESHAWAR: Unidentified armed men shot dead a constable in Pakistan’s northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) on Thursday, police said amid a rise in militant attacks in the province bordering Afghanistan. 

The incident took place in KP province’s Bannu district on Thursday morning, police official Bashir Khan said, when unidentified gunmen on a motorcycle shot dead constable Abdul Qudoos in Domail town. Khan said a large police contingent was dispatched to the town to gather information and trace the perpetrators of the attack immediately after the incident occurred.

“The sacrifice rendered by the martyr will not be in vain and those responsible for the killing would face justice,” Khan said, quoting the deputy inspector general (DIG) of police. 

He said Qudoos’ body was dispatched to his native village for burial with full honors.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack. However, the Pakistani Taliban or the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) have claimed responsibility for similar attacks targeting law enforcement personnel in the past. 

The TTP has carried out some of the deadliest attacks against Pakistani police, security forces and civilians since 2007, as it battles the state to impose its strict brand of Islamic law across the country. 

The TTP has increased its attacks on Pakistani security forces, especially after a fragile truce between the state and the militant group broke down in November 2022. Pakistan’s military has also increased its intelligence-based operations against militants in KP and Balochistan provinces. 

The military’s media wing announced that security forces killed 13 militants in the northwestern Dera Ismail Khan district on Wednesday. It said the slain militants were actively involved in numerous “terrorist” activities, which included facilitating a suicide bombing in December 2023 that killed 23.

Surging militant attacks in KP have also strained Pakistan’s ties with Afghanistan, as Islamabad blames Kabul for not taking action against militant outfits it alleges operate from sanctuaries in Afghan soil. Afghanistan denies the allegations and urges Pakistan to resolve its security challenges internally. 


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”