Father of Pakistani TikTok influencer calls for justice as murder suspect appears in court

File Image of the 17-year-old Pakistani TikTok star Sana Yousaf, which she posted on Instagram on May 2, 2025. (Photo Courtesy: instagram/@sanayousaf22/File)
Short Url
Updated 25 September 2025
Follow

Father of Pakistani TikTok influencer calls for justice as murder suspect appears in court

  • Sana Yousaf, 17, was fatally shot after alleged killer broke into her Islamabad home in June 
  • Umar Hayat, 22-year-old suspect, has repeatedly denied being involved in Yousaf's murder 

ISLAMABAD: The father of a teenage social media influencer who was killed at her family home in Pakistan in June said on Thursday he hopes for a speedy trial of the suspect.

Syed Yousaf Hassan spoke after attending the latest hearing in the case of his daughter, 17-year-old Sana Yousaf, who was fatally shot when her alleged killer broke into the property in Islamabad after she rejected his friendship request.

According to a police report, 22-year-old Umar Hayat fired two shots at the teenager, stole her phone, and then fled. He has denied the charges during the high-profile trial, which began last week.

“I am not fighting this case only to seek justice for my daughter,” Hassan told reporters outside the court. “I want all children who use social media to be protected from the pain my daughter suffered at the hands of a man who killed her. I will pursue this case until my last breath.”

He praised the investigation into his daughter's death and said he hoped the judge would reach a verdict soon.

The June 2 killing drew nationwide condemnation, with many people online demanding harsh punishment for the suspect, who was arrested days after he fled to Faisalabad in Punjab.

Hayat has repeatedly said that he was not behind the murder.

Looking composed, Hayat has been present in the courtroom for trial. Sardar Qadeer, a lawyer for the family of Yousaf, told The Associated Press that the court recorded testimony from a police officer who recovered the pistol used in the attack.

Hayat's face was covered when he was escorted from the courtroom and taken back to jail. The next hearing is scheduled for Saturday.

Yousaf, originally from the scenic northern region of Chitral, was known for promoting traditional Chitrali music and dress on TikTok, where she also advocated for girls’ education. Hours before her killing, she had posted a photo from a birthday celebration with friends.

She had a wide following in Pakistan, with half a million fans on Instagram. After her death, hundreds of thousands of people began following her on TikTok, which is one of Pakistan’s most popular apps, with tens of millions of users.

Pakistan has suspended the platform several times, citing concerns that the app promotes immoral or unlawful content.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.