Trump hits H-1B visas, a tech industry favorite, with $100,000 fee

White House Staff Secretary Will Scharf (left) hands an executive order to US President Donald Trump (right) to sign in the Oval Office of the White House in Washington, DC, on September 19, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 20 September 2025
Follow

Trump hits H-1B visas, a tech industry favorite, with $100,000 fee

  • H-1B visas allow companies to sponsor foreign workers with specialized skills, such as scientists, engineers, and computer programmers
  • The new measure, likely face legal challenges, was announced alongside the introduction of a $1 million ‘gold card’ residency program

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump on Friday ordered an annual $100,000 fee be added to H-1B skilled worker visas, creating potentially major repercussions for the tech industry where such permits are prolific.

The new measure, which could likely face legal challenges, was announced alongside the introduction of a $1 million “gold card” residency program that Trump had previewed months earlier.

“The main thing is, we’re going to have great people coming in, and they’re going to be paying,” Trump told reporters as he signed the orders in the Oval Office.

H-1B visas allow companies to sponsor foreign workers with specialized skills — such as scientists, engineers, and computer programmers — to work in the United States, initially for three years, but extendable to six years.

The United States awards 85,000 H-1B visas per year on a lottery system, with India accounting for around three-quarters of the recipients.

Large technology firms rely on Indian workers who either relocate to the United States or come and go between the two countries.

Tech entrepreneurs — including Trump’s former ally Elon Musk — have warned against targeting H-1B visas, saying that the United States does not have enough homegrown talent to fill important tech sector job vacancies.

“All the big companies are on board,” said Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick, who joined Trump in the Oval Office.

Trump has had the H-1B program in his sights since his first term in office, but faced court challenges to his earlier approach, which targeted the types of jobs that qualify. The current iteration has become the latest move in the major immigration crackdown of his second term.

According to Trump’s order, the fee will be required for those seeking to enter the country beginning Sunday, with the Homeland Security secretary able to exempt individuals, entire companies, or entire industries.

The order expires in a year, though Trump can extend it.

The number of H-1B visa applications has risen sharply in recent years, with a peak in approvals in 2022 under Democratic president Joe Biden.

In contrast, the peak in rejections was recorded in 2018, during Trump’s first term in the White House.

The United States approved approximately 400,000 H-1B visas in 2024, two-thirds of which were renewals.

Trump also signed an order creating a new expedited pathway to US residency for people who pay $1 million, or for corporate sponsors to pay $2 million.

“I think it’s going to be tremendously successful,” Trump added.

South Korea’s foreign ministry said in a statement on Saturday that officials would “comprehensively assess the impact of these measures on the advancement of (South Korean) companies and professional talents into the US market and engage in necessary communication with the US.”

Hundreds of South Koreans were detained during a US immigration raid on a Hyundai-LG battery factory site in the state of Georgia earlier this month.


Trump says he is sending a hospital ship to Greenland

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Trump says he is sending a hospital ship to Greenland

  • US president announced the plan on social media moments before hosting a dinner for Republican governors at the White House
  • The US Navy has two hospital ships, the Mercy and the Comfort, but neither are stationed in Louisiana
WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump ‌on Saturday said he was working with Louisiana Governor Jeff Landry to send a hospital boat to Greenland, a Danish territory that Trump has said he wants to acquire.
Trump announced the plan on social media moments before hosting a dinner for Republican governors at the White House, where he sat next to and chatted with Landry.
“Working with the fantastic Governor of Louisiana, ‌Jeff Landry, we are ‌going to send a great ‌hospital ⁠boat to Greenland to ⁠take care of the many people who are sick, and not being taken care of there. It’s on the way!!!” Trump said.
Neither the White House nor Landry’s office responded to queries about the post, whether the ship had ⁠been requested by Denmark or Greenland and ‌which sick people ‌needed help. The Department of War had no immediate comment.
Danish ‌King Frederik paid a second visit to ‌Greenland in a year last week, an attempt to demonstrate unity with the territory in the face of Trump’s push to buy the island.
Greenland, Denmark and ‌the US late last month held talks to resolve the situation following months ⁠of ⁠tensions within the NATO defense alliance.
Trump’s post came hours after Denmark’s Joint Arctic Command said it had evacuated a crew member who required urgent medical treatment from a US submarine in Greenland’s waters, seven nautical miles outside of Greenland’s capital, Nuuk.
It was unclear what connection Landry had with the matter or if the post had any connection to the evacuation.
The US Navy has two hospital ships, the Mercy and the Comfort, but neither are stationed in Louisiana.