Tens of thousands gather for London anti-immigration march and counter protest

Members of the campaign group, Stand Up to Racism, demonstrate against a rally organized by the British anti-immigration activist Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, also known as Tommy Robinson, in London, Sept. 13, 2025. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 13 September 2025
Follow

Tens of thousands gather for London anti-immigration march and counter protest

  • Police have said they will have a huge presence in the British capital
  • A “Stand Up to Racism” counter protest is also due to meet nearby

LONDON: Tens of thousands of protesters marched through central London on Saturday, carrying flags of England and Britain, for a demonstration organized by the anti-immigrant and anti-Islam activist Tommy Robinson.

Police have said they will have a huge presence in the British capital. A “Stand Up to Racism” counter protest is also due to meet nearby, following a highly charged summer in Britain that has seen protests over immigration and free speech.

By midday tens of thousands of protesters were packed into streets south of the River Thames, before heading toward Westminster, seat of the UK parliament.

Demonstrators carried the Union flag of Britain and the red and white St. George’s Cross of England, while others brought American and Israeli flags and wore the MAGA hats of US President Donald Trump. They chanted slogans critical of Prime Minister Keir Starmer and carried placards including some saying “send them home.” Some attendees brought children.

‘WE BELIEVE IN TOMMY’

Robinson has billed the Unite the Kingdom march as a celebration of free speech. It is also expected to mourn Charlie Kirk, the American conservative activist shot dead on Wednesday. “Hundreds of thousands already pack the streets of central London as we Unite as one for our freedoms,” Robinson said on X.

Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, describes himself as a journalist exposing state wrongdoing and counts US billionaire Elon Musk among his supporters. Britain’s biggest anti-immigrant political party, Reform UK, which has topped opinion polls in recent months, has kept its distance from Robinson, who has several criminal convictions.

“We want our country back, we want our free speech back on track,” said Sandra Mitchell, a supporter attending the rally.

“They need to stop illegal migration into this country,” she said. “We believe in Tommy.”

London’s Metropolitan Police has said it will have more than 1,600 officers deployed across London on Saturday, including 500 brought in from other forces. In addition to policing the two demonstrations, the force is stretched by high-profile soccer matches and concerts.

“We will approach them as we do any other protests, policing without fear or favor, ensuring people can exercise their lawful rights but being robust in dealing with incidents or offenses should they occur,” said Commander Clair Haynes, who is leading the policing operation.

Haynes said police were aware of a record of “anti-Muslim rhetoric and incidents of offensive chanting by a minority” at previous protests, but said London’s communities should not feel like they have to stay at home.

Last Saturday, nearly 900 people were arrested at a London demonstration against a ban on protest group Palestine Action.

Immigration has become the dominant political issue in Britain, eclipsing concerns over a faltering economy, as the country faces a record number of asylum claims. More than 28,000 migrants have arrived in small boats across the Channel so far this year.

Red and white English flags have proliferated along streets and been painted on roads. Supporters call it a spontaneous campaign of national pride, but anti-racism campaigners see a message of hostility to foreigners.


Hungary to release 1.8 million barrels of crude oil from strategic reserves

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Hungary to release 1.8 million barrels of crude oil from strategic reserves

  • Croatia’s JANAF pipeline operator, however, said there was no need for Budapest to tap its reserves
  • Hungary and Slovakia have been trying to secure supply since flows were halted on January 27

BUDAPEST: Hungary’s government will release about 1.8 million barrels of crude oil from its strategic reserves after a drone attack on the Druzhba pipeline late last month stopped oil flow, according to a government decree published late on Thursday.
Croatia’s JANAF pipeline operator, however, said there was no need for Budapest to tap its reserves after Hungary’s oil company MOL said on Friday JANAF must allow transit of Russian seaborne oil to Hungary and Slovakia during the Druzhba outage.
“At this ⁠moment, a significant ⁠quantity of non-Russian crude oil is being transported via JANAF’s pipeline for MOL Group, while three additional tankers carrying non-Russian oil, also for MOL Group, are on their way to the Omisalj Terminal,” JANAF said in a statement.
“There was no need to tap into (their) reserves since oil transport via the JANAF pipeline toward MOL’s refineries is being carried out continuously and without ⁠delays.”
Hungary and Slovakia, which have the only remaining refineries in the EU using Russian oil through Druzhba, have been trying to secure supply since flows were halted on January 27 following what Ukraine said was a Russian drone attack that damaged pipeline infrastructure.
Both countries have blamed Ukraine for the delay in restarting the flows for political reasons.

SCRAMBLE FOR CRUDE SUPPLIES
MOL is entitled to priority access to released crude oil reserves, and it will have access to the freed reserves until April 15 and has to return them by August 24, the Hungarian government decree said.
At the end of January, ⁠Hungary had ⁠enough crude oil and petroleum product reserves to cover 96 days, according to data on the Hungarian Hydrocarbon Stockpiling Association’s website.
As the two countries scramble to ensure supplies, MOL ordered tankers delivering Saudi, Norwegian, Kazakh, Libyan and Russian oil to supply its Hungarian and Slovak refineries and halted diesel deliveries to Ukraine earlier this week.
MOL said that first shipments were expected to arrive at the port of Omisalj in Croatia in early March. After that, it will take a further 5-12 days for the crude oil to reach its refineries.
The Slovak government has also declared an oil emergency situation and has pledged to release 1.825 million barrels of oil following a request from Slovakia’s Slovnaft refinery, which is owned by MOL.