Pakistan assures Qatar of support after Israeli strikes target Hamas leaders in Doha

A damaged building, following an Israeli attack on Hamas leaders, according to an Israeli official, in Doha, Qatar on September 9, 2025. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 09 September 2025
Follow

Pakistan assures Qatar of support after Israeli strikes target Hamas leaders in Doha

  • Qatar said Israeli strikes targeted homes of several members of Hamas’s political bureau in Doha
  • Islamabad says the strikes constitute most dangerous provocation that could imperil regional peace

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Tuesday telephoned Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani and assured him of Islamabad’s support, Sharif’s office said, after Israeli airstrikes targeted Hamas leaders in Doha.

Qatar, which has been a key mediator in efforts to broker a truce in Gaza, said Israeli strikes targeted homes of several members of Hamas’s political bureau residing in the Gulf country, where the militant group’s senior leadership is based.

A Hamas official in Gaza told AFP the group’s negotiators had been “targeted” in Doha, though it was not immediately clear whether the attack had caused any casualties.

During his conversation with Qatar’s emir, Sharif condemned the “unlawful and heinous” airstrikes by Israeli forces and expressed his solidarity with the people of Qatar, according to the Sharif’s office.

“He called the Israeli aggression a brazen violation of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Qatar, that posed a most dangerous provocation and could imperil regional peace and stability,” Sharif’s office said.

“The Prime Minister assured His Highness that Pakistan stood like a rock with the State of Qatar, against Israel’s aggression and called for unity within the ranks of the Ummah at this critical time.”

The Qatari emir thanked the prime minister for the call and for the sincere expression of solidarity with the Qatari people at this “challenging moment,” according to Sharif’s office.

“Both leaders agreed to remain in contact in the interest of regional peace and security,” it added.

Tuesday’s strikes, Israel’s first attack on the Gulf state, come less than two weeks after Israel’s armed forces chief vowed to target the group’s leaders based abroad.

“Most of Hamas’s leadership is abroad, and we will reach them as well,” Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir said on August 31.

Qatar, along with the United States and Egypt, has led multiple attempts to end Israel’s war against Hamas, which was killed more than 64,000 Palestinians in Gaza since October 7, 2023. Despite sealing two temporary truces, the successive rounds of talks have failed to bring a lasting end to the war.

Qatar condemned Tuesday’s attack, saying it had targeted residential buildings housing Hamas political bureau members.

“The State of Qatar strongly condemns the cowardly Israeli attack that targeted residential buildings housing several members of the political bureau of Hamas in the Qatari capital, Doha,” foreign ministry spokesman Majed Al-Ansari said in a post on X.

Separately, Pakistan’s foreign office condemned the Israeli “aggression” against Qatar.

“This reckless action by Israel is yet another manifestation of its continued disregard for international peace and security, and its policy of destabilizing the region,” it said.

“We reaffirm our principled position in support of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Qatar, and call upon the international community to hold Israel accountable.”


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”