Seven dead after migrant boat stranded in Med: NGO

Seven people were lost at sea and 41 others were brought to Italy's Lampedusa Island after a migrant boat got into difficulty in the Mediterranean, German NGO Sea-Watch said Wednesday. (X/@seawatch_intl)
Short Url
Updated 04 September 2025
Follow

Seven dead after migrant boat stranded in Med: NGO

  • The survivors, the majority of them Sudanese, had been at sea for six days
  • The boat left Libya on August 27 but became stranded in international waters between Tunisia and Malta.

ROME: Seven people were lost at sea and 41 others were brought to Italy’s Lampedusa island after a migrant boat got into difficulty in the Mediterranean, German NGO Sea-Watch said Wednesday.
The survivors, the majority of them Sudanese, had been at sea for six days before landing on Lampedusa late Tuesday. They were rescued by Sea-Watch’s ship Aurora after refusing help from the Tunisian authorities, the NGO said.
According to the testimony of those on board, the boat left Libya on August 27 but became stranded in international waters between Tunisia and Malta.
Seven people were lost in the water.

Tunisian authorities ordered a supply ship operating in the Miskar gas fields to rescue the 41 survivors, and the Tunisian navy turned up days later — but the migrants refused to go with them, a Sea-Watch spokesman told AFP.
“Some of these people would rather die than be forced to Tunisia,” he said.
Sea-Watch, which monitored events with its observation aircraft, said that Malta refused its requests to help but it finally received permission from Tunisian authorities to collect the migrants.
The Aurora took them to Lampedusa, located just 90 miles (145 kilometers) off the Tunisian coast.
Tunisia is a key transit country for thousands of African migrants seeking to reach Europe by sea each year.
In 2023, Tunisia signed a 255-million-euro ($290-million) deal with the European Union, nearly half of which was earmarked for tackling irregular migration.
The deal aimed to bolster Tunisia’s capacity to stop boats leaving its shore, but campaigners say migrants face discrimination, racism and violence in the country.
Italy’s hard-right government backed the Tunisia deal as part of its efforts to stop the boats, which also included restricting the activities of NGO ships.

 


Palestinian child killed in explosion of Israeli ordnance near Jericho

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Palestinian child killed in explosion of Israeli ordnance near Jericho

  • Unexploded ordnance from Israeli forces detonated in Farush Beit Dajan area
  • Forces prevented residents from approaching the site afterward

LONDON: A Palestinian child was killed and two others were injured on Tuesday in the north of Jericho, due to an explosion involving remnants of Israeli military munitions.

Ahmad Ghawnameh, mayor of Al-Jiftlik village in the central Jordan Valley, reported that unexploded ordnance from Israeli forces detonated in the Farush Beit Dajan area, resulting in the death of one child and leaving others with serious injuries.

Ghawnameh did not specify the type of ordnance that exploded. He added that Israeli forces prevented residents from approaching the site, according to the Wafa news agency. The Palestinian Health Ministry did not confirm the name or age of the child at the time of publication.