India dam releases raise fresh flood risk in Pakistan’s Punjab as 33 killed in a week

Villagers wade through floodwaters after heavy rainfall at Kasur district in Pakistan's Punjab province on August 31, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 01 September 2025
Follow

India dam releases raise fresh flood risk in Pakistan’s Punjab as 33 killed in a week

  • Authorities warn of “high flood” in Sutlej as India releases water from near-full dams
  • Pakistan says 2 million displaced in Punjab, 500,000 livestock evacuated to safety

ISLAMABAD: Indian dam releases and heavy monsoon rains have raised the risk of major flooding in Pakistan’s eastern Punjab province, where at least 33 people have died and 2 million have been displaced since last week, officials said on Monday.

Punjab, Pakistan’s most populous province and the country’s agricultural heartland, has been inundated by abnormally high monsoon downpours compounded by excess water flowing in from neighboring India. Nationwide, the seasonal rains and floods have killed 854 people since June 26.

“All relevant departments are on alert due to water being released into the Chenab by India,” Irfan Ali Kathia, director general of the Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) Punjab, told reporters. “Punjab is monitoring the situation in the rivers round the clock.”

Kathia said the province was mounting the “largest rescue and relief operation” in its history, with food and basic necessities being provided to displaced families.

Punjab Relief Commissioner Nabeel Javed said 506 relief and 352 medical camps had been established in affected areas. More than 17,000 people have received health care, he added, while over 500,000 head of livestock had been shifted to safer locations.

Kathia said a flood wave in the Chenab was moving toward Trimmu Headworks, with flows expected to rise from 479,000 to 700,000 cusecs by Monday evening.

He warned of an “extremely high flood level” at Balloki on the Ravi river, where flows had already surged to 168,000 cusecs. The Sutlej was flowing at 253,000 cusecs, while at Panjnad, the confluence of Punjab’s five rivers, water levels were expected to reach around one million cusecs between Sept. 2–3.

Separately, Pakistan’s commissioner for Indus Waters circulated a letter to government departments citing an Indian High Commission warning of possible “high flood” levels at Harike and Ferozepur on the Sutlej. 

India routinely releases excess water from its reservoirs when they reach capacity, under arrangements governed by the Indus Waters Treaty.

CLIMATE EMERGENCY

Pakistan, ranked among the world’s most climate-vulnerable countries, has experienced increasingly frequent and erratic weather events in recent years, including heat waves, untimely rains, cyclones and droughts.

Lt. Gen. Inam Haider Malik, chairman of the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), said Sunday that Pakistan was in a state of climate emergency, with “major natural hazards hitting every two months” and now posing a grave national security threat.

“After every two months, Pakistan is facing a big disaster … and unfortunately this is a part of reality,” Malik told reporters, warning that climate change would intensify in coming years and calling it a “national security” issue for the country. 

The current flooding has revived memories of the catastrophic 2022 deluge, when a third of Pakistan was submerged, more than 1,700 people were killed, 30 million displaced and damages estimated at $35 billion.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”