BEIJING: Russia and China jointly oppose “discriminatory” sanctions in global trade that hinder the world’s socio-economic development, Russian President Vladimir Putin said in a written interview with China’s official Xinhua news agency.
The two countries will continue to work to reduce mutual trade barriers, Putin said in the interview published on Saturday on the eve of a visit to Russia’s biggest trading partner.
Putin will be in China from Sunday to Wednesday, in a four-day visit that the Kremlin has called “unprecedented.”
The Russian leader will first attend the two-day Shanghai Cooperation Organization summit in the northern port city of Tianjin. Putin will then travel to Beijing to hold talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping and attend a massive Chinese military parade marking the end of World War Two after Japan’s formal surrender.
“To sum up, economic cooperation, trade and industrial collaboration between our countries are advancing across multiple areas,” Putin said.
“During my upcoming visit, we will certainly discuss further prospects for mutually beneficial cooperation and new steps to intensify it for the benefit of the peoples of Russia and China.”
The visit to China — Putin’s first since May last year — comes as he seeks to reverse a slowdown in bilateral trade while Russia’s war in Ukraine rages on despite a recent summit with US President Donald Trump in Alaska.
When Western nations severed ties with Russia after Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, China came to the rescue, buying Russian oil and selling goods from cars to electronics that pushed bilateral trade to a record $245 billion in 2024.
Putin and Xi declared a “no limits” strategic partnership in 2022. The two have met over 40 times in the past decade.
Russia and China oppose ‘discriminatory’ sanctions in global trade, says Putin
Short Url
https://arab.news/pn7ep
Russia and China oppose ‘discriminatory’ sanctions in global trade, says Putin
- Putin will be in China from Sunday to Wednesday to attend the SCO summit and China's massive military parade marking the end of World War II
- The two neighbors declared a “no limits” strategic partnership in 2022 after Western nations severed ties with Russia over its invasion of Ukraine
US Homeland Security to pause two key travel programs amid shutdown, Washington Post says
- DHS began a partial shutdown last week after Republicans and Democrats failed to reach a deal on immigration enforcement reforms
The US Department of Homeland Security will temporarily suspend from Sunday its PreCheck and Global Entry programs that speed airport security checks for some travelers, the Washington Post said, due to a shutdown at much of the agency.
The halt in the programs run by the DHS will begin from 6 a.m. ET (1100 GMT), the newspaper cited an agency spokesperson as saying on Saturday.
DHS began a partial shutdown last week after Republicans and Democrats failed to reach a deal on immigration enforcement reforms.
The pause in programs is among the emergency measures DHS is taking to redirect staffing more than a week after Congress failed to send it more money, the paper said.
The agency is “making tough but necessary workforce and resource decisions” and prioritizing the “general traveling population” at entry points, the paper cited Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem as saying in a statement.
Reuters could not immediately verify the report. The DHS did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
TSA’s PreCheck program allows approved passengers through a dedicated, faster security lane at US airports and is designed to reduce wait times and streamline screening.
Global Entry expedites US customs and immigration clearance for pre-approved, low-risk international travelers entering the United States.
On Thursday, the Trump administration ordered the Federal Emergency Management Agency, a part of the DHS, to suspend the deployment of hundreds of aid workers to disaster-affected areas, due to the DHS shutdown.
The halt in the programs run by the DHS will begin from 6 a.m. ET (1100 GMT), the newspaper cited an agency spokesperson as saying on Saturday.
DHS began a partial shutdown last week after Republicans and Democrats failed to reach a deal on immigration enforcement reforms.
The pause in programs is among the emergency measures DHS is taking to redirect staffing more than a week after Congress failed to send it more money, the paper said.
The agency is “making tough but necessary workforce and resource decisions” and prioritizing the “general traveling population” at entry points, the paper cited Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem as saying in a statement.
Reuters could not immediately verify the report. The DHS did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
TSA’s PreCheck program allows approved passengers through a dedicated, faster security lane at US airports and is designed to reduce wait times and streamline screening.
Global Entry expedites US customs and immigration clearance for pre-approved, low-risk international travelers entering the United States.
On Thursday, the Trump administration ordered the Federal Emergency Management Agency, a part of the DHS, to suspend the deployment of hundreds of aid workers to disaster-affected areas, due to the DHS shutdown.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










