Filmmakers urge Venice Film Festival to take stand on Gaza

Italian actor Toni Servillo is one of the signatories of the open letter. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 24 August 2025
Follow

Filmmakers urge Venice Film Festival to take stand on Gaza

DUBAI: Hundreds of filmmakers and cultural figures have rallied behind an open letter demanding the Venice Film Festival break its silence on Gaza, calling on it to take a “clear and unambiguous stand” against what they denounce as genocide and ethnic cleansing.

The appeal, organized under the banner of Venice4Palestine, was sent to the Venice film festival umbrella organization, the Biennale di Venezia, on Friday.

In the letter, the group accuses the Israeli government and military of carrying out genocide in Gaza and ethnic cleansing across Palestine. It urges the festival to avoid becoming “a sad and empty showcase” by providing instead “a place of dialogue, active participation and resistance, as it has been in the past.”

Signatories include British filmmaker Ken Loach, Italian actor Toni Servillo (star of 2025 Venice opener, “La Grazia” from Paolo Sorrentino), Italian actress and director siblings Alba and Alice Rohrwacher, actress Jasmine Trinca, French directors Celine Sciamma and Audrey Diwan, British actor Charles Dance, and Palestinian directorial duo Arab Nasser and Tarzan Nasser, who won best director in Cannes Un Certain Regard this year for their latest film, “Once Upon A Time In Gaza.”

The letter references the deaths of nearly 250 Palestinian media workers since the start of the conflict and stresses that cultural institutions cannot remain detached.

“As the spotlight turns on the Venice Film Festival, we’re in danger of going through yet another major event that remains indifferent to this human, civil, and political tragedy,” it reads. “‘The show must go on,’ we are told, as we’re urged to look away — as if the ‘film world’ had nothing to do with the ‘real world.’

“For once, the show must stop. We must interrupt the flow of indifference and open a path to awareness.” It concludes: “There is no cinema without humanity.”

In response, the Biennale said the festival “has always been, throughout their history, places of open discussion and sensitivity to all the most pressing issues facing society and the world.”

It pointed to works in the lineup such as “The Voice of Hind Rajab,” Tunisian director Kaouther Ben Hania’s competition entry about the killing of a 5-year-old Palestinian girl in Gaza in 2024.


Malika El-Maslouhi ushers in spring in Maje

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Malika El-Maslouhi ushers in spring in Maje

DUBAI: Moroccan Italian model Malika El-Maslouhi is the embodiment of relaxed in Parisian label Maje’s Spring-Summer 2026 campaign.

The model took to Instagram to share shots from the campaign. Set against a minimalist concrete backdrop, El-Maslouhi is seen wearing a green and white striped knit cardigan paired with wide-leg, speckled denim and chunky black boots, creating a chic contrast between casual comfort and fashion-forward styling. The oversized brown leather bag slung under her arm adds a touch of understated luxury.

She captioned the post, “Spring renaissance.”

Meanwhile, El-Maslouhi ended 2025 on a strong note with a holiday campaign for the French luxury label Guerlain.

In a photo shared on the brand’s Instagram page, the 27-year-old model, who has become a favorite on international runways, wore the limited-edition Rouge G lipstick from Guerlain’s Tale of Wonders Holiday Collection in shade G 877. She was also pictured holding the lipstick alongside the matching limited-edition Rouge G Stellar case.

In August 2025, she was the face of Anthropologie’s 2026 resort-wear campaign. The line blended breezy elegance with playful details, including jewel-toned maxi dresses, sleek black knitted dresses, and form-fitting satin gowns that would be perfect for date night.

El-Maslouhi has previously starred in Anthropologie’s summer campaigns. The catwalk star was photographed posing pool and beachside in pieces from Anthropologie’s summer offering, which included ready-to-wear, swimwear and accessories.

Earlier in the year, El-Maslouhi starred in Saint Levant’s music video for the song “Exile,” directed by Algerian-French filmmaker Lyna Zerrouki. The video, which explores themes of longing, loss and hope, features El-Maslouhi against a striking blue backdrop, seemingly falling through the air.

El-Maslouhi, born in Milan to a Moroccan father and an Italian mother, began her modeling career at the age of 18. She has since appeared on runways for international fashion houses including Dior, Chanel, Valentino and Jacquemus, gracing the catwalks of New York, London, Milan and Paris fashion weeks. Over the years, she has walked for brands such as Ulla Johnson, Prabal Gurung, David Koma, Boss, Missoni, Messika and more.

 

She has also featured in campaigns for brands such as Calvin Klein, Off-White and Lanvin, expanding her portfolio across both luxury and contemporary fashion.

 

In 2022, she was awarded the Model of the Year in Italy title.