Pakistan offers to boost farm, pesticide exports to Iran in trade push

In this picture taken on May 14, 2020 an official of the Agriculture Department drives on a tractor as he sprays pesticides to kill locusts in a field in Pishin district, some 60 km form Quetta. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 20 August 2025
Follow

Pakistan offers to boost farm, pesticide exports to Iran in trade push

  • Both countries agreed to enhance trade from $3 billion to $10 billion this month
  • Barter framework remains core to Iran-Pakistan trade amid sanctions on Tehran

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan offered to enhance exports of agricultural goods and pesticides to Iran on Tuesday, as Federal Minister for National Food Security Rana Tanveer Hussain met Iranian First Vice President Dr. Mohammad Reza Aref in Tehran to reaffirm both countries’ commitment to raising bilateral trade to $10 billion.

The Pakistani minister’s visit followed Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian’s first official visit to Pakistan earlier this month since taking over his country’s top executive office.

During that trip, both sides agreed to boost trade from around $3 billion to $10 billion, signing multiple agreements across trade, energy and infrastructure sectors.

“Federal Minister for National Food Security and Research, Rana Tanveer Hussain, called on the First Vice President of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Dr. Mohammad Reza Aref, at the Presidency in Tehran,” said an official statement circulated after the meeting.

“He underlined Pakistan’s readiness to enhance exports of rice, corn, bananas, meat and livestock to Iran, while also highlighting opportunities for Iran to import high-quality pesticides and other agricultural products from Pakistan,” it continued. “The Federal Minister emphasized that greater cooperation in agriculture and food security could act as a catalyst for overall economic integration between the two brotherly countries.”

Iran’s first vice president praised the proposal as constructive. He reaffirmed Tehran’s commitment to reaching the bilateral trade target and announced that the next session of the Joint Economic Committee (JEC) of the two countries would be convened soon to consolidate progress and identify new areas of cooperation.

Both sides expressed optimism that collaboration in agriculture and food security would unlock broader economic opportunities and regional stability.

In recent years, Pakistan and Iran have primarily discussed barter trade frameworks to bypass financial and currency hurdles.

Sanctions and foreign exchange shortages remain major obstacles for Iran, making barter system and border markets key features of its trade approach to Pakistan.


Vaughan calls for probe into reports Pakistan stars sidelined from Hundred

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Vaughan calls for probe into reports Pakistan stars sidelined from Hundred

  • The Hundred is an English 100-ball-per-side franchise cricket competition with eight teams
  • BBC says Indian-owned teams may avoid selecting Pakistani players at next month’s auction

LONDON: Michael Vaughan has urged the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) to “act fast” on reports that Pakistani players will be overlooked by Indian-owned teams in the domestic Hundred competition.

Longstanding political tensions between India and Pakistan have led to the border rivals only playing each other in international cricket events, although their recent Colombo showdown at the ongoing T20 World Cup in India and Sri Lanka only went ahead after Pakistan called off a threatened boycott.

It has been claimed that politics has also led to an effective ban on Pakistani players participating in the Indian Premier League, world cricket’s most lucrative T20 franchise competition.

And with several IPL owners now owning teams in several different countries, opportunities for Pakistani cricketers to participate in various leagues are in danger of being reduced further.

The BBC has now reported that the issue could be a factor during next month’s player auction for English cricket’s Hundred, a 100 balls-per-side competition featuring eight franchises rather than the traditional 18 first-class counties.

Players will go under the hammer in London on March 11-12, with the BBC reporting that the four Indian-affiliated Hundred teams — Manchester Super Giants, MI London, Southern Brave and Sunrisers Leeds will deliberately avoid selecting players from Pakistan.

More than 50 Pakistani cricketers have registered their availability, with four other teams involved in the bidding.

The ECB have been unable to substantiate the BBC allegations, but former England captain Vaughan has called for the governing body to investigate the issue thoroughly.

Vaughan, referencing the ECB’s stated aim of cricket becoming the most inclusive sport in the country, posted on Friday on X: “The ECB need to act fast on this... they own the league and this should not be allowed to happen... the most inclusive sport in the country is not one that allows this to happen.”

An ECB spokesman said: “The Hundred welcomes men’s and women’s players from all over the world and we would expect the eight teams to reflect that.

“Almost 1,000 cricketers from 18 nations have registered for The Hundred auction, with representation on the longlist of over 50 players respectively from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Pakistan and West Indies.”

Only two Pakistan internationals — Mohammad Amir and Imad Wasim — — appeared in last year’s Hundred, the final edition before new investors became involved.