Gaza civil defense says Israeli attacks kill 18

Above, humanitarian aid being airdropped over the besieged Gaza Strip on Aug. 17, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 17 August 2025
Follow

Gaza civil defense says Israeli attacks kill 18

  • UN-backed experts have warned of widespread famine unfolding in Gaza
  • Israel has drastically curtailed the amount of humanitarian aid it allows in

GAZA CITY, Palestinian Territories: Gaza’s civil defense agency said Israeli strikes and gunfire killed at least 18 Palestinians on Sunday, including seven people shot dead while waiting to collect food aid.

Civil defense spokesman Mahmud Bassal said that seven people were killed in an Israeli drone strike that hit a hospital courtyard in Gaza City, in the territory’s north.

Witnesses said the victims were members of a Hamas unit, which a source from the Palestinian militant group described as responsible for distributing aid and “fighting thieves.”

There was no comment from the Israeli military, which is preparing a broader offensive in Gaza City and has sent ground forces to the city’s Zeitun neighborhood in recent days.

After more than 22 months of war, UN-backed experts have warned of widespread famine unfolding in Gaza, where Israel has drastically curtailed the amount of humanitarian aid it allows in and convoys have been repeatedly looted.

Witnesses on Sunday reported Israeli air strikes across the Gaza Strip overnight and into the morning.

Bassal said four people were killed in a strike that hit a tent sheltering displaced Palestinians in the southern area of Khan Yunis.

The civil defense spokesman said Israel continues its intense bombardment of Gaza City’s Zeitun, where troops have carried out a ground operation for the past week.

He said there were many casualties, but civil defense crews were facing “enormous difficulties reaching those trapped under the rubble” due to the ongoing violence and lack of equipment.

Media restrictions in Gaza and difficulties accessing swaths of the Palestinian territory mean AFP is unable to independently verify the tolls and details provided by the civil defense agency or the Israeli military.

Israel on Saturday hinted at an approaching call to push civilians from Gaza City ahead of the new offensive demanded by the security cabinet.

A defense ministry statement said that “as part of the preparations to move the population from combat zones to the southern Gaza Strip for their protection, the supply of tents and shelter equipment to Gaza will resume.”

Hamas later slammed the move, saying the announcement was part of a “brutal assault to occupy Gaza City.”

On the ground on Sunday, Bassal said six people were killed by Israeli gunfire near an aid distribution point in the south.

Another person was killed near an aid site in central Gaza, Bassal added, with a nearby hospital saying the body had been taken there.

The war was triggered by Hamas’s October 2023 attack on Israel, which resulted in the deaths of 1,219 people, mostly civilians, according to an AFP tally based on official figures.

Israel’s offensive has killed more than 61,897 Palestinians, most of them civilians, according to figures from the health ministry in Hamas-run Gaza which the United Nations considers reliable.


‘No good actors’ in Sudan war, says Trump’s Middle East adviser

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

‘No good actors’ in Sudan war, says Trump’s Middle East adviser

  • Resolving conflict a ‘deeply felt concern’ of US president, Massad Boulos tells UN Security Council
  • ‘Today, Sudan faces the biggest and gravest humanitarian catastrophe in the world’

LONDON: A senior adviser to US President Donald Trump on Thursday criticized Sudan’s warring factions as he warned that no military solution could resolve the civil war.

Massad Boulos, Trump’s senior adviser on African, Arab and Middle Eastern affairs, was speaking at a ministerial-level UN Security Council briefing on Sudan.

A UN fact-finding mission has determined that the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces’ siege of the city of El-Fasher likely constituted genocide.

Resolving the almost three-year-long war in Sudan is a “deeply felt concern” of Trump, Boulos told the briefing, which was chaired by UK Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper.

“Under President Trump and Secretary (of State Marco) Rubio’s leadership and close direction, I am helping to spearhead US efforts to achieve peace in Sudan,” he said.

“Today, Sudan faces the biggest and gravest humanitarian catastrophe in the world. After more than 1,000 days of needless conflict between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces, the toll is staggering.”

In the eyes of the US, “there are no good actors in this conflict,” Boulos said, criticizing both factions for carrying out “serious human rights violations and abuses.”

He highlighted apparent efforts by coordinated Islamist networks to regain political influence in the fractured Sudanese state.

“Let me be clear: Efforts by Islamist networks or any extremist political movement to manipulate this conflict, derail a civilian transition, or reassert authoritarian control will not be tolerated by the US,” Boulos said.

“We will use the tools at our disposal — including sanctions and other measures — to hold accountable those who enable violence, undermine democratic governance, or threaten regional stability.”

His remarks came as the US announced fresh sanctions on RSF commanders, citing their record of “human rights violations, including ethnic killings, torture, starvation tactics and sexual violence.”

The paramilitary figures are now “subject to asset freezes, arms embargoes and travel bans,” Boulos said, adding: “We are working closely with partners in this room — including the United Kingdom, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the UAE, and several others — to press for an immediate humanitarian truce, and without preconditions.

“Such a truce must guarantee sustained, unhindered humanitarian access across conflict lines and borders.”

He urged the international community to support five pillars of engagement to resolve the crisis: achieving an immediate humanitarian truce; coordinated efforts to ensure sustained humanitarian access; a phased approach for negotiating a permanent ceasefire; a structured political process that leads to a civilian-led transitional government and democratic elections; and a robust reconstruction and recovery effort.

“The US remains committed to working with all of you to end this tragic conflict and to support a peaceful, civilian future for Sudan,” Boulos said.