Boxers Itauma and Whyte face off ahead of Riyadh heavyweight clash

1 / 3
British heavyweight boxers Moses Itauma and compatriot Dillian Whyte came face to face in Riyadh on Thursday ahead of their bout at the ANB Arena on Saturday. (Supplied)
2 / 3
British heavyweight boxers Moses Itauma and compatriot Dillian Whyte came face to face in Riyadh on Thursday ahead of their bout at the ANB Arena on Saturday. (Supplied)
3 / 3
British heavyweight boxers Moses Itauma and compatriot Dillian Whyte came face to face in Riyadh on Thursday ahead of their bout at the ANB Arena on Saturday. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 15 August 2025
Follow

Boxers Itauma and Whyte face off ahead of Riyadh heavyweight clash

  • 20-year-old Moses Itauma, unbeaten in his 12 professional fights to date, vows not to underestimate 37-year-old Dillian Whyte, who is returning to the ring after a hand injury
  • The undercard for Saturday’s event at the ANB Arena includes a WBA world title featherweight bout between Nick Ball and Sam Goodman

RIYADH: British heavyweight boxers Moses Itauma and compatriot Dillian Whyte came face to face in Riyadh on Thursday ahead of their bout at the ANB Arena on Saturday.

Whyte told his opponent: “Good luck to you, man, and I hope we both leave the ring safe and healthy,” to which 20-year-old Itauma replied: “Thank you.”

Itauma — who has a professional record of 12 wins, 10 of them by a knockout, and no losses — said he would not underestimate Whyte, adding: “We are all heavyweights here and any fight can end at any moment. I’m fully aware of the threat (he) poses.”

The fight marks a return to the ring for 37-year-old Whyte (31-3, with 21 knockouts) after a layoff with a hand injury. The official weigh-in is on Friday.

The undercard on Saturday includes a WBA world title featherweight bout between Nick Ball and Sam Goodman, and a super featherweight matchup between Ray Ford and Abraham Nova.

The event is part of the wider entertainment surrounding the ongoing Esports World Cup, which continues in the Saudi capital until August 24.


Andreeva, Bencic receive walkovers in Dubai

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Andreeva, Bencic receive walkovers in Dubai

  • Mirra Andreeva and Belinda Bencic were both beneficiaries of second-round walkovers at the WTA 1000 event in Dubai on Tuesday, as Jessica Pegula also reached the last 16
DUBAI: Mirra Andreeva and Belinda Bencic were both beneficiaries of second-round walkovers at the WTA 1000 event in Dubai on Tuesday, as Jessica Pegula also reached the last 16.
Russian teenager Andreeva, who received a first-round bye, will face either German Ella Seidel or Romanian Jaqueline Cristian for a quarter-final place after Daria Kasatkina pulled out with a hip injury.
In-form Czech youngster Sara Beljek, who won a title in Abu Dhabi earlier this month, also withdrew with an abdominal injury, handing Bencic a spot in round three.
American fourth seed Pegula cruised through with a 6-4, 6-0 thrashing of Varvara Grachev and will next play compatriot Iva Jovic.
The tournament in Dubai, one of the 10 WTA 1000 competitions, has been severely hit by the withdrawals of world number one Aryna Sabalenka and six-time Grand Slam champion Iga Swiatek.
Second seed Amanda Anisimova had also been given a walkover on Monday after her second-round opponent Barbora Krejcikova pulled out.
Later Tuesday, American Coco Gauff starts her campaign against Russian Anna Kalinskaya.