Indian journalists face criticism at home after meeting Netanyahu amid Gaza war

Indian journalists meet Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem, Aug. 7, 2025. (Office of PM of Israel)
Short Url
Updated 12 August 2025
Follow

Indian journalists face criticism at home after meeting Netanyahu amid Gaza war

  • Several Indian reporters met Netanyahu during Israel tour last week
  • New Delhi has largely remained quiet since Israel launched its deadly assault on Gaza in October 2023

NEW DELHI: A recent visit by a group of Indian reporters to Israel, and their meeting with its Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, has sparked outrage at home, with senior journalists calling out both the reporters and their publications for violating professional standards and ethics.

Photos posted on social media by Netanyahu’s office showed him last week receiving journalists from India, including Sidhant Sibal from WION TV, Manash Pratim Bhuyan from the Press Trust of India, Aditya Raj Kaul, former senior executive editor at TV9 network, Shubhajit Roy from the Indian Express, and Abhishek Kapoor from Republic TV.

The fact that they accepted the Israeli prime minister’s invitation was “deplorable,” one of the most prominent figures in Indian journalism N. Ram, publisher of The Hindu Group, which includes The Hindu, Frontline, and Sportstar, told Arab News.

“They should have boycotted a man like Netanyahu. And, also, to accept this kind of invitation at this juncture shows the complete lack of sensitivity towards what ethical journalism is about,” he said.

“It only speaks poorly of these journalists and the organizations they represent.”

In the face of Israel’s ongoing war in Gaza, the killing of tens of thousands of Palestinians, imposed starvation, and assassination of more than 200 journalists since October 2023, revealing war crimes is what, according to Ram, could help restore some credibility to the Indian journalists who met Netanyahu.

“Everybody can see what kind of war crimes have been committed,” he said

 

 

“If they use the opportunity to expose the atrocities, then that will to some extent redeem their journalism, but I don’t know if they’ve done that.”

For Manoj Sharma, a member of the Press Club of India, seeing his colleagues shake hands with Netanyahu was shocking — not only because Netanyahu is wanted by the International Criminal Court for war crimes, but also given the mass killing of fellow journalists by the Israeli regime.

“That is totally unpardonable,” he said. “As journalists we have a moral responsibility toward all our journalist friends across the globe … We should stand in solidarity with them.”

For Ashutosh, senior journalist and founder of the popular Satya Hindi channel on YouTube, the Israel visit cast doubt on the journalists’ independence and credibility.

“Netanyahu government is facing serious charges of genocide in Gaza. How can one claim to be independent if one is availing the facilities of the regime, and when the whole world knows how Netanyahu’s army is indulging in genocide in Gaza,” he said. “It is against humanity, too.”

Arab News reached out for comment to the journalists who participated in the Israel trip, but none were available.

New Delhi has largely remained quiet since Israel launched its deadly assault on Gaza in October 2023.

But India’s civil society, including the younger generation, is increasingly involved in raising awareness of Israeli war crimes, organizing solidarity protests as well as on-the-ground and online campaigns — in contrast to the mainstream media that often reflects the government’s silence.

“Mainstream journalists have gone way beyond ethics and their moral compass is now completely unhinged,” Ghazala Wahab, executive editor of the Force magazine, told Arab News.

“A good journalist should be on the side of justice, whether it’s within the country or outside the country, but our mainstream media doesn’t stand on the side of justice. It always stands on the side of the powerful. I don’t think it is journalism any longer.”


Chinese visitors to Japan slump as spat rumbles on

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Chinese visitors to Japan slump as spat rumbles on

TOKYO: Mainland Chinese visitors to Japan tumbled 60.7 percent in January year-on-year, figures showed Wednesday, in the continued fallout from the countries’ diplomatic spat.
“Last year, the lunar new year began in late January, but this year it fell in mid-February,” the Japan National Tourism Organization said as it published the data.
“Additionally, the Chinese government issued a warning advising against travel to Japan. Factors such as reduced flight frequencies also contributed to the number of foreign visitors to Japan falling below the level of the same month last year,” a statement said.
Previously Chinese visitors were the biggest contingent, contributing to a tourism boom in the land of cherry blossom and Mount Fuji that was fueled by a weak yen making shopping cheap.
But in January this year, South Korea was the biggest source with 1.2 million visitors, up 21.6 percent, compared with 385,300 from mainland China, down from 980,520 in January 2025.
Visitors from Hong Kong also tumbled 17.9 percent.
Overall the number of visitors to Japan fell 4.9 percent to 3.597 million in January compared to the same period last year.
Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi suggested in November that Japan could intervene militarily if Beijing sought to take Taiwan by force.
China, which regards the democratic island as part of its territory and has not ruled out force to annex it, was furious.
Beijing summoned Tokyo’s ambassador and on November 14 warned Chinese citizens against visiting Japan, citing “significant risks to the personal safety and lives of Chinese citizens.”
The number of Chinese visitors to Japan already tumbled 45 percent in December to 330,000.
In December, J-15 jets from China’s Liaoning aircraft carrier twice locked radar on Japanese aircraft in international waters near Okinawa, according to Japan.
China also tightened controls on exports to Japan for items with potential military uses, fueling worries that Beijing may choke supplies of vital rare-earth minerals.
Japan’s last two pandas were even returned to China last month.
Takaichi, 64, was seen as a China hawk before becoming Japan’s first woman prime minister in October.
She won a landslide victory in snap elections on February 8, putting her in a strong position for the next four years to stamp her mark on Japanese domestic and foreign policy.
Takaichi said after her election win that Tokyo would bolster its defenses and “steadfastly protect” its territory.
She also said she was “open to various dialogues with China.”
But China’s foreign ministry said “genuine dialogue should be built on respect for one another.”
“Proclaiming dialogue with one’s mouth while engaging in confrontation — no one will accept this kind of dialogue,” foreign ministry spokesman Lin Jian said Tuesday.
Beijing’s top diplomat Wang Yi told the Munich Security Conference on Saturday that forces in Japan were seeking to “revive militarism.”