Afghan refugees say they are being ‘pushed out’ as Pakistan begins deportation

Afghan refugees take shelter at a public park in Islamabad, Pakistan, on August 9, 2025, after being evicted from their home. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 10 August 2025
Follow

Afghan refugees say they are being ‘pushed out’ as Pakistan begins deportation

  • Dozens of Afghan refugee families gather in Islamabad’s public park after being allegedly evicted from homes
  • Pakistan launched a deportation drive in 2023 that it says targets undocumented foreigners only 

ISLAMABAD: Dozens of Afghan refugee families, including women, children and the elderly, gathered in a public park in Islamabad on Saturday after being allegedly evicted from their homes under Pakistan’s crackdown on documented refugees.

With no aid from authorities or NGOs, the refugees said they had endured police raids, food shortages and the constant fear of deportation to Taliban-ruled Afghanistan.

Pakistan has given Sept. 1 deadline for all documented Afghan refugees to leave. Their deportation had already started ahead of the deadline, according to the UNHCR. 

“We have nowhere to go,” said Fahima Khatoon, 45, whose children were born in Pakistan. “My daughter is in university, if sent back, she’ll face Taliban brutality.”

Since the Islamist Taliban returned to power in 2021, it has clamped down on women’s rights, including limits to schooling, work and general independence in daily life.

The International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants for two Taliban leaders in July, accusing them of the persecution of women and girls. The Taliban rejected the accusations at the time and said it respected women’s rights in line with its strict interpretation of Islamic law.

In the Islamabad park, families said they cooked with their own meagre resources, often eating just once a day, while police raids forced them into hiding.

“This is our bed, the sky is our roof,” said 38-year-old Professor Ahmed Zia, pointing to the rain-soaked ground where an 18-day-old baby slept.

Pakistan’s repatriation plan has drawn criticism from rights groups. Over 2.1 million Afghans have already fled back this year, overwhelming Afghanistan’s collapsed economy. Despite a supposed grace period, evictions continued, leaving refugees in legal limbo.

“We’re not criminals,” Zia added. “We just want to survive.”

Pakistani authorities have said that Islamabad wants all Afghan nationals to leave except for those who have valid visas.

The repatriation drive by Pakistan is part of a campaign called the Illegal Foreigners Repatriation Plan launched in late 2023.

In addition to the repatriation from Pakistan, Afghanistan also faces a fresh wave of mass deportations from Iran. Aid groups worry that the influx risks further destabilising the country.


Pakistan, seven Muslim states condemn Israel’s West Bank land registration move 

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan, seven Muslim states condemn Israel’s West Bank land registration move 

  • Israel’s cabinet on Sunday voted in favor of beginning a land registration process in West Bank for the first time since 1967
  • Move aimed at accelerating illegal settlement activity and confiscating land, undermines two-state solution, says statement

Islamabad: Pakistan and seven other Muslim nations on Tuesday condemned Israel’s recent move to approve land registration in the West Bank, saying the action aims to accelerate illegal settlement activity in Palestinian territory and undermines the two-state solution in the Middle East. 

Members of the Israeli cabinet on Sunday voted in favor of beginning a land registration process in the West Bank for the first time since 1967. The move is being seen by many, including the Palestinian Authority (PA), as measures to tighten Israel’s control over the West Bank area by making it easier for Jewish settlers to buy land and ultimately annex the area. The Israeli media has reported that the process will take place only in Area C, which constitutes some 60 percent of the West Bank and is under Israeli security and administrative control.

“The foreign ministers of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, the State of Qatar, the Republic of Indonesia, the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, the Arab Republic of Egypt, and the Republic of Türkiye strongly condemn the decision issued by Israel to designate lands in the occupied West Bank as so called ‘state land’ and approve procedures for the registration and settlement of land ownership across extensive areas of the occupied West Bank for the first time since 1967,” the joint statement issued by Pakistan’s foreign ministry said. 

The statement said the move constitutes an escalation aimed at accelerating illegal settlement activity, land confiscation and applying unlawful Israeli sovereignty over Palestinian territory. It further said the Israeli decision undermines legitimate rights of the people of Palestine. 

“This step reflects an attempt to impose a new legal and administrative reality designed to consolidate control over the occupied land, thereby undermining the two-state solution, eroding the prospects for the establishment of an independent and viable Palestinian State, and jeopardizing the attainment of a just and comprehensive peace in the region,” the statement said. 

The joint statement said Israel’s actions violate international law, particularly the Fourth Geneva Convention and the United Nations Security Council resolutions. It added that such policies by Israel constitute a “dangerous escalation” that will further increase tensions and cause more instability in Palestine and the Middle East. 

The foreign ministers called on the international community to take “clear and decisive” steps to halt Israel’s violations, ensure respect for international law and safeguard the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people. 

The ruling Israeli coalition ‌includes many ‌pro-settler members who want Israel to annex ​the ‌West ⁠Bank, ​land captured ⁠in the 1967 Middle East war to which Israel cites biblical and historical ties.

The West Bank is among the territories that Palestinians seek for a future independent state. Much of it is under Israeli military control, with limited Palestinian self-rule in some areas run by the PA.

The land registration approval comes after Israel’s security cabinet approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers earlier this month. These measures were aimed at tightening control over areas of the West Bank administered by the PA under the Oslo accords in place since the 1990s.

Those measures, which also sparked international backlash, include allowing Jewish Israelis to buy West Bank land directly and allowing Israeli authorities to administer certain religious sites in areas under the PA’s control.

Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law. Around three million Palestinians live in the territory.